YM!

Ron's Gone Wrong | October 22nd, 2021 | 20th Century/Locksmith

I'm a little concerned at how little business this will do. The Addams Family 2 is doing okay I guess, but families still aren't showing up en masse for animated films. Hopefully I'm wrong and this succeeds, which would bode well for Encanto being the first big animated film in a long time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I'm a little concerned at how little business this will do. The Addams Family 2 is doing okay I guess, but families still aren't showing up en masse for animated films. Hopefully I'm wrong and this succeeds, which would bode well for Encanto being the first big animated film in a long time.

It is the most widely advertised kid movie this year (having been the "kid free movie" ad ALL summer, and now on every other movie now) that has now also become a schedule dump...if it succeeds, it won't be b/c of good date placement, b/c right now, it's getting the worst release schedule possible with the worst presale set possible...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

It is the most widely advertised kid movie this year (having been the "kid free movie" ad ALL summer, and now on every other movie now) that has now also become a schedule dump...if it succeeds, it won't be b/c of good date placement, b/c right now, it's getting the worst release schedule possible with the worst presale set possible...

Sorry hun I'm new here. What do you mean by presale set?

7 minutes ago, Val357 said:

Sorry hun I'm new here. What do you mean by presale set?

It's gonna get single screens at each small to midsize theater (and not a ton of screens at large theaters), and of those screens, they will not be the largest size, b/c Dune has already taken them...so its presale set is at a very low available seat level vs a "big animated movie"...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's gonna get single screens at each small to midsize theater (and not a ton of screens at large theaters), and of those screens, they will not be the largest size, b/c Dune has already taken them...so its presale set is at a very low available seat level vs a "big animated movie"...

Thank you for explaining that! Yes that paints a horrible picture for Ron's Gone Wrong. Animated movies usually aren't the ones plugged into that small auditorium at the back corner of the theatre unless they're months into their runs. They need a good set of showtimes and screens.

All that to say, this one is destined to fail....

Dang, Cinemark is running free screenings tomorrow...and I managed to snag tickets...

Now, to decide if I'm gonna let my boys skip their (paid) hip hop class for the free movie...

PS - This was a VERY last minute screening, b/c it went up at 4pm today...thankfully, Cinemark reserves seats (thank you for a reasonable screening policy - AMC and Regal, you could learn from this), so I don't have to worry about skipping class and missing the movie, too...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Dang, Cinemark is running free screenings tomorrow...and I managed to snag tickets...

Now, to decide if I'm gonna let my boys skip their (paid) hip hop class for the free movie...

PS - This was a VERY last minute screening, b/c it went up at 4pm today...thankfully, Cinemark reserves seats (thank you for a reasonable screening policy - AMC and Regal, you could learn from this), so I don't have to worry about skipping class and missing the movie, too...

I'll be interested to know how you and your boys liked it! I've mentioned it to my youngest and he doesn't seem interested.... Looks like we're waiting for Encanto.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I'll be interested to know how you and your boys liked it! I've mentioned it to my youngest and he doesn't seem interested.... Looks like we're waiting for Encanto.

My youngest has been pitching the movie all month - funny enough, my other son liked the 1st trailer, but was turned off by the 2nd, but he's very excited to see a movie before anyone else so he can be "in the know", so this has made him excited, too:)...

I personally have loved the trailer (but I've loved most fun, light, funny, and nonsequel lately - I was also a huge fan of the Free Guy trailers, and they did pay off), even if I think the release is doomed by its date...but who knows - they have to get people in, so maybe this starts the word of mouth train going (I know my sons tell all their friends on Fortnite and Roblox every time they see a movie)...maybe the November family movies don't crush its legs (which it's gonna need with the way the release weekend is developing)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My youngest has been pitching the movie all month - funny enough, my other son liked the 1st trailer, but was turned off by the 2nd, but he's very excited to see a movie before anyone else so he can be "in the know", so this has made him excited, too:)...

I personally have loved the trailer (but I've loved most fun, light, funny, and nonsequel lately - I was also a huge fan of the Free Guy trailers, and they did pay off), even if I think the release is doomed by its date...but who knows - they have to get people in, so maybe this starts the word of mouth train going (I know my sons tell all their friends on Fortnite and Roblox every time they see a movie)...maybe the November family movies don't crush its legs (which it's gonna need with the way the release weekend is developing)...

That's the spirit! Hopefully it finds its legs somehow. We've seen big IP's make a comeback at the box office. Now it's time for the family animated films to make their comeback.

I liked the look of the trailer too, however if it's a pass on my kids' part then I guess it's a pass.

• Like 1

This opened here last weekend. It flopped like literally every movie that opens here. We have accepted streaming as king. It is only a matter of time all TCs go under here with the atrocious numbers we have seen.

One thing about the free screening...it's a "Cinemark Loyalty" free screening, so I'm not sure who is "paying" for it/ "sponsoring" it - Cinemark to try and drum up some business for this weekend, since it tends to be the "family movie" chain (while also REALLY making happy the folks who are either subscribers or reward earners) or Disney who looked at presales and cried...

I know when I looked at my Cinemarks for Saturday, they had sold 1 ticket combined for RGW...but then, this single showing tomorrow "sold out" in an hour...so demand might be there if it can be pulled in...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJ Chapek said:

This opened here last weekend. It flopped like literally every movie that opens here. We have accepted streaming as king. It is only a matter of time all TCs go under here with the atrocious numbers we have seen.

This is unbelievably sad. What's the attitude towards Covid in Portugal? Are people moving on with their lives? I ask because if Portugal is the more fearful type of Covid - or should I say reluctant to move forward with normal life - maybe it's not all due to accepting streaming as king.

2 hours ago, Val357 said:

This is unbelievably sad. What's the attitude towards Covid in Portugal? Are people moving on with their lives? I ask because if Portugal is the more fearful type of Covid - or should I say reluctant to move forward with normal life - maybe it's not all due to accepting streaming as king.

People seem to have mostly moved on. We have 87% of our total population vaxxed. The number of new daily cases is low. Restaurants, bars, discos, are back to the old numbers. Theaters don't seem to be getting the same kind of recovery. The habits changed and I think people will just see movies at home and do other activities when outside.

• Sad 1