DeeCee

Mindhunter on Netflix (David Fincher)

I watched the first two episodes and I really like it. I haven't seen how it goes from here but it felt like a 2 hour pilot. Anyone who wants to sample this should watch both and not just the first because it is kind of weird and pretty much all setup, the 2 main characters meet in the last 5 minutes and then it just ends abruptly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

I watched the first two episodes and I really like it. I haven't seen how it goes from here but it felt like a 2 hour pilot. Anyone who wants to sample this should watch both and not just the first because it is kind of weird and pretty much all setup, the 2 main characters meet in the last 5 minutes and then it just ends abruptly.

thanks for the info.  I have been tempted to start this show and I will give at least the first 2 episodes a shot now :) 

• Like 2

Finally finished it and loved it. I watched it mostly because of Fincher, and even if it still isn't "his" show it feels way more Finchery than say House of Cards did. But the show is interesting and engaging all together,  so I'll follow it even if Fincher never directs another episode (which seems probable since he has to do another movie any minute now).

The cast is great through and through from the 3 leads to all the killers and even if it's structured like a 10 hour movie like most Netflix shows are it feels more like a TV show. Yeah there's pretty much no distinct episodes, even the "case-of-the-week" crimes and serial killer interviews are peppered throughout multiple hours, and the episodes themselves don't even have a similar length, I think one of them is just 30 minutes. But this feels like the start of a much bigger story unlike 13 Reasons Why or Stranger Things which felt like miniseries that got a sequel because they 're popular.

And about how big the story might be I read this article which contains huge spoilers about the real events that might be part of the show in the future.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/10/mindhunter-who-is-adt-killer-kansas-dennis-rader-season-2-wichita-park-city

Season 2 drops tomorrow

I've been rewatching season 1 the last couple of days and I think over the past two years it has become my favorite ongoing tv show.

Even if the interviews/research is the main thrust of the show's narrative, the small scale cases are what really makes the show great. It'm at episode 6 which concludes the Altoona murder and it's just amazing how they turned that really small case (next to the famous serial killers) into an epic arc with memorable characters, complex relationships while simultaneously being full of twist and turns. 

From the trailer season 2 looks like it's gonna have one big ongoing investigation instead of 3-4 small ones. I really hope it is as compelling as the small time crimes of the first season.