baumer

Only the Brave (2017)

Grade it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Really good stuff. This reminded me a bit of last year's Deepwater Horizon, another film about a recent real life tragedy that focuses more on the people involved than on the tragedy itself, but I think this movie is slightly better in all areas. The film works at its best when it shows camaraderie among these dudes as they put their lives on the line for a living. Excellent performances too, with Josh Brolin leading a great ensemble that also includes Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Connelly (who gets more to do than most "wife" parts in films like this do), and Taylor Kitsch, while Miles Teller also displays glimmers of the promise that he showed when he was on the rise a few years back. It's routine for sure, but there's no denying it's powerful at times. B+

I felt it missed something to justify is runtime, the climatic moment and generals ending was really excellent (and I think is why the cinemascore, reviews are that good, when the last third is that strong you get out of the room liking the movie, has long has it was at least average in the first section).

What was missing to me was getting more into the procedural of fighting the fire and making those moments more cinematically fun, a bit like Spotlight achieved to do with Journalist work, Social Network with programming, moneyball with managing a team, etc... It missed that to elevate the movie to something more than just good 6/10 type.

Otherwise it was really strong, the scene when the 2 men take care of the baby for the first time (loved Kitsch overall and in general in every supporting role he do), the taking the water from the swimming pool.

Good movie, good emotional punch at the end, C+/B or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

I felt it missed something to justify is runtime, the climatic moment and generals ending was really excellent (and I think is why the cinemascore, reviews are that good, when the last third is that strong you get out of the room liking the movie, has long has it was at least average in the first section).

What was missing to me was getting more into the procedural of fighting the fire and making those moments more cinematically fun, a bit like Spotlight achieved to do with Journalist work, Social Network with programming, moneyball with managing a team, etc... It missed that to elevate the movie to something more than just good 6/10 type.

Otherwise it was really strong, the scene when the 2 men take care of the baby for the first time (loved Kitsch overall and in general in every supporting role he do), the taking the water from the swimming pool.

Good movie, good emotional punch at the end, C+/B or so.

I agree with this it was missing something.  I think the final act was great but the first two acts dragged. I felt they could developed some of the other characters. The other young recruit that was first interviewed. Was shown right away and barely seen again.  

2.5/5

Thought this was better than Deepwater Horizon which I already love. It emphasized on the characters more and you really got the sense of brotherhood. I don't think the film missed a beat tonaly, and that the runtime was completely justified, because of how the buildup led to the powerful ending and the impact it had.

I cried. Not gonna lie. So did my friends. We were sobbing. The scene where Teller leaves the gym and all the wives are in tears, man I sobbed so hard. Really powerful stuff here. All the performances were top notch, and the movie had a good grittiness that went with the subject matter. 

As for cons, maybe the final moments of the Hotshots should have been expanded on. Spend more time with them being trapped, although I'm glad their deaths were offscreen. There was also some extra drama thrown in which felt unnecessary for the plot or just it wasn't used properly. But these are so incredibly minor.

A

• Like 1

I think this is the best film of the year so far.  I was emotionally invested from the beginning and when the big stuff happens at the end, I was shocked and horrified.  It tore me up.  Teller killed me when he leaves the gym and he breaks down in front of Jennifer Connelly.  It's an incredibly powerful film and perhaps if it had gotten more traction from the audience, it would get Oscar consideration. It's that good.  

I was impressed with the writing, the performances and the direction.  I was also really thankful that these men were celebrated for being brothers and that it didn't waste time with any kind of animosity between the seniors members of the team and Teller's character.  I get tired of that stuff and it gets cliched at times.  But the script is too smart for that.

I also loved that Teller loved his daughter, turned his life around, got sober and became a hero....talk about a journey.  

But man, this is not an easy movie to digest.  The final 10 minutes had me in puddles.  

I'm pretty sure t'll be top three of the year for me.

9.5/10

• Like 2

Great movie. And talk about the most crushing ending I've seen since Fruitvale Station. Probably even more so.

I mean it's one thing to pretend this is Hollywood and then the real images came up and it's like fuck man.

I didn't know the true story but knew something bad was coming due to how telegraphed some of the dialogue was. Like I knew Eric wasn't making it home to Amanda and that one of the guys wasn't making the show for his band.

But I wasn't expecting it to go like that. There wasn't even this massive buildup to it. It happened and then they were gone...which would be what it would be like in real life. 

Miles Teller really surprised me and Jennifer Connelly (was great seeing her again) deserved more recognition for this role. Her reaction was authentic enough as it was and then that gym scene came. 

It did feel a bit familiar in ways to films like Lone Survivor but it really took it's time in turning the characters into real people and that made the ending hit a lot harder then it could have.

A-

• Like 1