Alli

WEEKEND Box Office: BOO-21.6M; Geostorm-13.3M; OTB-6M; Snowman-3.4M

Warners has not had a good October. "Blade Runner 2049" flopped at the Box Office. I think they had written off "Geostorm" (you do that with films that have sat at your shelf for two years) but hoped that releasing it in the wake of "Blade Runner",,which they expected to be a big hit... would make it's failure a little less painful to the stockholders. Did'nt happen.

On the other hand, "It" in September has become a totally unexpected huge blockbuster..and with a low budget pricetag. And Justice League in a few weeks will do well under any circumstances;if it is actally a Wonder Woman level good movie it could do great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

OH, I got it now. Such a good price led to a massive OW (75K tickets for an R-rated horror movie is pretty great), and then when everything went back to normal people were like "nah, thanks" :rofl:  Poor Ridley, he can't catch a break with his George Lucasing of the Alien saga (even if Covenant was technically a success, but that's because Fox is getting fiscally responsible, otherwise.....).

Yeah, that was pretty much Warcraft in a nutshell: the opening, large or small, was the greater sum of its parts. It broke all pre-sales records in China, only to end just over 200M in that territory, when the vast majority expected 300M+. If it were a good movie, it could have reached 300M, maybe close to 400M, in the Middle Kingdom, around 100M in the States and then another good chunk everywhere else. As is, Universal kinda lost their golden opportunity to create a cash cow, and if they ever move forward with a sequel, it will unquestionably go down. So yeah. Still, might be best for them not to sink Warcraft's name further more, if Legendary's next sequel attempt - Pacific Rim 2 - looks like any indication.... God that trailer was woeful.

GOOD that RE flopped. Fuck those movies. They blow balls. I really hope that, if they do move forward with a reboot, they actually get someone competent to direct, and not Goddamn Paul WS "I made the only good video game movie (Mortal Kombat) and then destroyed the most iconic horror game franchise ever" Anderson.

It didn't helped that PotC5 opened on the day after Festa do Cinema ended and sold 107.000 tickets on OW :lol: Everything was already gonna die after Festa do Cinema as usual, it simply died harder.

Pacific Rim 2 is gonna be a mega bomb everywhere outside of China. The trailer looks like a cheap knock-off of the original. It won't click anywhere. If Warcraft had a sequel, likely the same would happen. The novelty factor is gone, and a sequel can only go down when the first has such a poor reception.

I am pretty sure they were thinking on rebooting RE as a real horror movie this time, just like the most recent game, but then China happened and they probably changed their minds. They can't simply say no to that kind of money, it is impossible.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It didn't helped that PotC5 opened on the day after Festa do Cinema ended and sold 107.000 tickets on OW :lol: Everything was already gonna die after Festa do Cinema as usual, it simply died harder.

Pacific Rim 2 is gonna be a mega bomb everywhere outside of China. The trailer looks like a cheap knock-off of the original. It won't click anywhere. If Warcraft had a sequel, likely the same would happen. The novelty factor is gone, and a sequel can only go down when the first has such a poor reception.

I am pretty sure they were thinking on rebooting RE as a real horror movie this time, just like the most recent game, but then China happened and they probably changed their minds. They can't simply say no to that kind of money, it is impossible.

Oh, Pacific Rim is sounding horrible. It looks like a Goddamn Transformers movie, all the way from the terrible CGI to the idiotically angled shots and the super cheap directing style. The odd musical choice didn't help the trailer either. The Jaegers fighting the kaiju still looks kinda cool, but OMFG if it didn't. Maybe the movie plays better, but I've been heartbroken with Transformers too many times to not know a lot more than that.

They can't, no, but I'm pretty sure China will continue to make them shittons of money just off the Resident Evil name alone. And even if it doesn't, China is becoming more and more frontloaded by the day, so even if the movie makes 150M OW, it will drop like a rock after that. Might as well make a good movie to try to have as great legs WW - not just China - as possible. Can you believe that, out of the dozens and dozens of VG films, only two (the original Tomb Raider and Angry Birds) have made 100M+ DOM? Despite franchises like Super Mario, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, etc. having adaptations? Sad :lol: (Also, remind me again how we are NEVER getting that planned Watch Dogs movie after AC bombed :rofl:)

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Warners has not had a good October. "Blade Runner 2049" flopped at the Box Office. I think they had written off "Geostorm" (you do that with films that have sat at your shelf for two years) but hoped that releasing it in the wake of "Blade Runner",,which they expected to be a big hit... would make it's failure a little less painful to the stockholders. Did'nt happen.

On the other hand, "It" in September has become a totally unexpected huge blockbuster..and with a low budget pricetag. And Justice League in a few weeks will do well under any circumstances;if it is actally a Wonder Woman level good movie it could do great.

I think you overestimate how a Time Warner share holder (a company with gross profit above 10b a year, revenue getting close to 30b) care if WB loose 15m on BladeRunner or make 40m on it (with the way the deal sounded like maybe I even getting a bit high on those numbers, 40m that what Sony can do on a James Bond movie making 900m), same for distributing Geostorm.

While looking at TWX stock I would imagine that if we will put mark on big success/failure movie wise:

Yahoo stock price

It would be hard to see movies affecting the stock, look around may 15 (Wonder Woman) for example or IT mega opening weekend (September 8)

Stock september 1: 

Sep 01, 2017 101.41
Sep 08, 2017 100.43

Stock the monday morning opened after IT become a giant world success, not a sign of impact:

Sep 11, 2017 100.46

Liongates, Europa Corps, type of studio stockholder care abouts movies a lot and big movie in particular (you can see the stock move a lot after hunger games opening weekend or down after the last HG opening weekend), but for those giant media conglomerate stock holder, what their movies subdivision do are usually on the side profit wise and expected to have a lot of flops,  particular movie is rarely something to care much about, the total slate when they result come in is more what can affect it.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Oh, Pacific Rim is sounding horrible. It looks like a Goddamn Transformers movie, all the way from the terrible CGI to the idiotically angled shots and the super cheap directing style. The odd musical choice didn't help the trailer either. The Jaegers fighting the kaiju still looks kinda cool, but OMFG if it didn't. Maybe the movie plays better, but I've been heartbroken with Transformers too many times to not know a lot more than that.

They can't, no, but I'm pretty sure China will continue to make them shittons of money just off the Resident Evil name alone. And even if it doesn't, China is becoming more and more frontloaded by the day, so even if the movie makes 150M OW, it will drop like a rock after that. Might as well make a good movie to try to have as great legs WW - not just China - as possible. Can you believe that, out of the dozens and dozens of VG films, only two (the original Tomb Raider and Angry Birds) have made 100M+ DOM? Despite franchises like Super Mario, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, etc. having adaptations? Sad :lol: (Also, remind me again how we are NEVER getting that planned Watch Dogs movie after AC bombed :rofl:)

Remember when Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal were cast as leads in The Divison adaptation? :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Remember when Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal were cast as leads in The Divison adaptation? :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

I am fervently anticipating that and the Tom Hardy Splinter Cell movie

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Oh sweet Christmas :rofl:  The only division that movie is making is the drawer of cancelled projects :hahaha:

Even when that movie still had a possibility of happening.... a Division movie? Seriously? Who even cares about The Division? Well, I heard that it got good after the DLC's and updates, but still, way too late for public perception to dramatically change like that. Out of all the Tom Clancy projects, Splinter Cell is perfect for a movie. Even Rainbow Six.... damn, a well made Rainbow Six Vegas movie sounds like Heaven. Division? LMAO.

Besides, while they are two of my favorite working actors, Gyllenhaal + Chastain as a leading pair would lead to such a gigantic flop. Would do less than Assassin's Creed, even if it came out during Christmas like AC.

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Oh sweet Christmas :rofl:  The only division that movie is making is the drawer of cancelled projects :hahaha:

Even when that movie still had a possibility of happening.... a Division movie? Seriously? Who even cares about The Division? Well, I heard that it got good after the DLC's and updates, but still, way too late for public perception to dramatically change like that. Out of all the Tom Clancy projects, Splinter Cell is perfect for a movie. Even Rainbow Six.... damn, a well made Rainbow Six Vegas movie sounds like Heaven. Division? LMAO.

Besides, while they are two of my favorite working actors, Gyllenhaal + Chastain as a leading pair would lead to such a gigantic flop. Would do less than Assassin's Creed, even if it came out during Christmas like AC.

The Division was a 2-3 weeks thing and then it died. I played it like crazy with friends for 3 weeks and have like 70 hours logged into it. We never touched it again after that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dudalb said:

WB only had distribution of BR in the US so financially it's not that big a deal as they weren't going to make much even if it was a hit, Sony should break even as it's doing decently OS but Alcon probably will take the biggest hit. 

Geostorm is the same, Skydance completely funded it and WB picked it up as a distribution deal, they'll likely lose very little on it and make a small profit or break even on home entertainment, streaming etc Compared to the losses they had on King Arthur, the combined losses of BR and Geostorm are likely miniscule. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 3:49 PM, Jonwo said:

They could afford to keep the budget the same as 2 or maybe $5-10m lower. I don't think it'll cut to say $50-60m as they'll likely to have Firth and Egerton back

TBF There have always been weeks and months which Hollywood uses to dump crappy movies, January usually has its fair share of crappy movies. 

That, and I can't imagine the spy action, and gadgets is cheap to do.

Also yeah, they don't call January / February dump month for nothing. It would be nice if Hollywood released more quality movies in January, but they don't see that month as good. 

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

That, and I can't imagine the spy action, and gadgets is cheap to do.

Also yeah, they don't call January / February dump month for nothing. It would be nice if Hollywood released more quality movies in January, but they don't see that month as good. 

January is best for expansion of award bait and holdovers from December. I think the success of It might prompt more mid budget films being released in that period and September. January could work for an animated film from WAG, Sony or Paramount. Fox has Spies in Disguise in 2019 which could lead to more animation in January.

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

January is best for expansion of award bait and holdovers from December. I think the success of It might prompt more mid budget films being released in that period and September. January could work for an animated film from WAG, Sony or Paramount. Fox has Spies in Disguise in 2019 which could lead to more animation in January.

I think January could be a good month for animation, especially if it's lower budgeted.

56 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

KFP3 also did well in January.