Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

So our theater in the mall opened again. And instead of AMC, it's something called Mall Cinemas. 

It has no real brand or logos, and somehow plays movies. 

https://www.pcmallcinemas.com/

Seriously, what is this? Do other places in middle america have this? 

Looks like it's a budget theater (judging by how it's showing movies that are pretty much out of theaters). Most of the budget theaters in my neck of the woods (before they closed and went pretty much extinct) were non-chains. Although the 5-screen indie theater near where I work is also a non-chain as well. They exist.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looks like it's a budget theater (judging by how it's showing movies that are pretty much out of theaters). Most of the budget theaters in my neck of the woods (before they closed and went pretty much extinct) were non-chains. Although the 5-screen indie theater near where I work is also a non-chain as well. They exist.

Yeah it's budget, though AMC only charged 2.14$ and this now charges 4$/5$. On the plus side, it opens way earlier than other theaters. Besides on military bases (&I guess stand alone theaters with a reputation), I've never seen theaters be completely...non affiliated.

I'll check it out when they play Ant Man or something I missed later. If they didn't update the floors or chairs....ugh. 

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's the one ben foster performance i really like so i wouldn't wanna take it away from him but viggo would be a glow up for sure.

Viggo's just a good dude. I even liked him in Captain Fantastic despite him being the World's Most Annoying Dad. I would not last long on this planet if every statement I made ended up with my dad going all "DEBATE ME."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Yeah it's budget, though AMC only charged 2.14$ and this now charges 4$/5$. On the plus side, it opens way earlier than other theaters. Besides on military bases (&I guess stand alone theaters with a reputation), I've never seen theaters be completely...non affiliated.

I'll check it out when they play Ant Man or something I missed later. If they didn't update the floors or chairs....ugh. 

We've got 2 unaffiliated where I live, owned by 1 guy.  One's our cheap theater (3 screens) and the other is an art house type (6 screens) (although he'll show almost anything - those "write in to watch us" movies, etc).  Since the owner has trouble competing with major chains reno budgets (since he runs razor thin margins), but is beloved, he actually ran 2 Kickstarters 2-3 years ago to fund new seats in both theaters in return for free tickets and food.  Both were wildly successful b/c the community likes the guy (he's always giving free tickets to every community program fundraiser).  And now, when I take my kids to the cheap-o, I have much better seats:)...Win-Win...yes, I supported both Kickstarters:)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Gloria Bell with Julianne Moore is getting some very nice ink out of TIFF. A24 has picked it up and will be releasing it in the spring so there's something to be excited for.

Also Focus just paid $6M for Neil Jordan's Greta (a thriller in which Isabelle Huppert terrorizes Chloe Grace Moretz) and they released a one-minute clip and holy fucking shit does look this campy as hell. Good luck trying to sell this as a serious thriller (or make that trying to recoup the investment they made in picking it up), Focus.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/greta-clip-isabelle-huppert-chloe-grace-moretz-neil-jordan-toronto-film-festival-1202457923/

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Also Focus just paid $6M for Neil Jordan's Greta (a thriller in which Isabelle Huppert terrorizes Chloe Grace Moretz) and they released a one-minute clip and holy fucking shit does look this campy as hell. Good luck trying to sell this as a serious thriller (or make that trying to recoup the investment they made in picking it up), Focus.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/greta-clip-isabelle-huppert-chloe-grace-moretz-neil-jordan-toronto-film-festival-1202457923/

honestly neil jordan is underrated and this sounds great.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Also Focus just paid $6M for Neil Jordan's Greta

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/toronto-neil-jordans-psychological-thriller-greta-nabbed-by-focus-4-million-1140836

Toronto: Neil Jordan's Psychological Thriller 'Greta' Nabbed by Focus for $4 Million....  A source pegged the deal at about $4 million.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/greta-focus-features-deal-neil-jordan-chloe-grace-moretz-isabelle-huppert-toronto-film-festival-1202460048/

Focus Features Closes $6 Million Deal For Neil Jordan Thriller ‘Greta:’ Toronto

Lionsgate and NEON also bidding, but Focus stalked the stalker tale hardest. I’m hearing the result is a $6 million deal for North America, Australia and China.

Focus already had acquired U.K. rights to the film before the festival. Along with North American rights, Focus also picked up Australia and New Zealand and China.

So about 4M domestic, 2M for UK, Australia, NZ and China.

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly neil jordan is underrated and this sounds great.

It does look amazing, not gonna lie. Everything Huppert did in that clip had me laughing. Not expecting it to make much but I'll see it for sure whenever Focus decides to put it out.