Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I’m pretty sure they don’t lurk anywhere beyond the threads for said fanboy-friendly movies.

Oops, thought this was the Captain Marvel thread, guess I’m safe from attack then.

Just see the Captain Marvel thread to see what I said in action though.

Edited by PANDA

1 minute ago, PANDA said:

Oops, thought this was the Captain Marvel thread, guess I’m safe from attack then.

Just see the Captain Marvel thread to see what I said in action though.

If only the Kung Fu Panda movies had caused such an uproar. Thank goodness they knew better than to fuck with the Panda panda!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Ah, so an IT recruiter team reached out with "Do you want to work.....for Facebook in San (somewhere, I legit don't remember, but it's the highest cost of living in the country in CA)."

Ah...80k a year would be great anywhere else in the country but not in San Somewhere for one person, right? I think 27k/yr alone would be housing.

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

Is it possible to commute from somewhere less expensive?

Pretty much the entire greater Bay Area is appallingly expensive. The “affordable” areas are at the dye of what you’d consider commutable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Ah, so an IT recruiter team reached out with "Do you want to work.....for Facebook in San (somewhere, I legit don't remember, but it's the highest cost of living in the country in CA)."

Ah...80k a year would be great anywhere else in the country but not in San Somewhere for one person, right? I think 27k/yr alone would be housing.

So, they reached out to you?  Then, I'd ask for what would get me out there...

"I'm currently enjoying my current job and location, but for the amazing opportunity to work for Facebook, I would happily consider the job for $120K/year + relocation expenses.  If you can meet my salary and relocation needs, I can meet your IT needs.  Hopefully, we can work something out."

The worst that happens is they delete your message...but maybe they really need you and can make it worth it for you:).    

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, they reached out to you?  Then, I'd ask for what would get me out there...

"I'm currently enjoying my current job and location, but for the amazing opportunity to work for Facebook, I would happily consider the job for $120K/year + relocation expenses.  If you can meet my salary and relocation needs, I can meet your IT needs.  Hopefully, we can work something out."

The worst that happens is they delete your message...but maybe they really need you and can make it worth it for you:).    

I could probably spring relocation assistance bc of hurricane nonsense.

31 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Pretty much the entire greater Bay Area is appallingly expensive. The “affordable” areas are at the dye of what you’d consider commutable. 

Yeah I need about.....4 roommates. I go on another forum where I could probably find someone if we get to that point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PANDA said:

A large portion of the Internet, especially outside of Twitter/FB Internet, fanboys (not necessarily fans of whatever franchise) are privileged white males who grew up seeing all their heroes also being privileged white males.  Whenever a movie comes along giving a major role to a minority, they’ll take it as a subconscious attack on their power and privilege.

And also, just by me saying this I’m sure I’m going to provoke about 4-5 of them lurking here in

Most white males honestly don't think about it. We too busy running the world.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

What is it about these minority-led blockbusters that just brings out the ugly side in fan communities? Especially female-led ones. It’s like they’re actively trying to reinforce the notion of “fanboys = misogynists.”

However almost all of those minority led blockbusters became huge hits and well liked by the fanbases... 

BP

Wonder Woman

Rogue One

Are you really suggesting all of these films were not popular with their respective fan bases,

I think you are trying to push an outdated idea that 'fanboys' are all basement dwellers when the issue is that most fan bases are rather large and diverse and unfortunately contain a lot of toxic elements. 

If Captain Marvel is a good movie, the sexist elements will be marginalized like with most of these films when they finally release. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

My university is closed tomorrow for the national day of mourning.

That’s fine and everything, but when Trump dies in the future I hope the media doesn’t turn it into a happy charade like they are for HW.

HW was a mixed bag of a President if we’re going to be honest, stuff like the Americans with Disabilities Act was great, but his push-back against Civil Rights and the Iran Contra stuff is not so great (terrible actually).  Much better post-President imo, and I respect the need to honor him like we do for other presidents that die.  But I hope we don’t have to view all dead presidents in the future in a glowing light just because they’re dead.  It’s not fair to historical accuracy or for the analysis of the impact they really did have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

My university is closed tomorrow for the national day of mourning.

That’s fine and everything, but when Trump dies in the future I hope the media doesn’t turn it into a happy charade like they are for HW.

HW was a mixed bag of a President if we’re going to be honest, stuff like the Americans with Disabilities Act was great, but his push-back against Civil Rights and the Iran Contra stuff is not so great (terrible actually).  Much better post-President imo, and I respect the need to honor him like we do for other presidents that die.  But I hope we don’t have to view all dead presidents in the future in a glowing light just because they’re dead.  It’s not fair to historical accuracy or for the analysis of the impact they really did have.

Who is to judge though who we should honour? Do you know how many people may say the exact same words for Obama?

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Who is to judge though who we should honour? Do you know how many people may say the exact same words for Obama?

Yes, and those people stan Trump so their thoughts are irrelevant

Edited by PANDA

I was popping around TVTropes and

To this day, Call Backs to the events of TIH are far rarer than callbacks to any other film in the series, to the point that Thunderbolt Ross was featured in Captain America: Civil War for the explicit purpose of assuring audiences that The Incredible Hulk is still canon.

So that's what all those titles are about :insane:

So, I began to watch The Greatest Showman because I heard a cool remix of the Never Enough song. Bad decision. I lasted 30 minutes before turning it off. It’s whack how it tries to make Jackman’s character honorable and shit. Couldn’t stand the children’s singing either, like no thank you.