Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

You should worry about how much we agree on stuff.

And dat score, so unique, majestic, creepy and gothic.

Elfman could never.

this track is one i always come back to. the way it switches from gothic creepy to soaring romance is so effortless. sums up the movie.

22 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I watched Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula for the first time last night. I can't imagine what an opening weekend audience must have felt expecting a big, bloody horror flick (which is still is, but not in the manner its trailer promised) and instead getting a big-budget art film that's pretty much all about sex. Interesting flick.

Man, I loved seeing that shit OW. It opened huge, had terrible legs (for the time). Probably cuz, yeah, it’s more arty and weird and gothic romance than your typical horror movie of the time. Lord almighty, what a beautiful movie it is too. Just top-notch cinematography, production design, costumes, the score.... love it all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Man, I loved seeing that shit OW. It opened huge, had terrible legs (for the time). Probably cuz, yeah, it’s more arty and weird and gothic romance than your typical horror movie of the time. Lord almighty, what a beautiful movie it is too. Just top-notch cinematography, production design, costumes, the score.... love it all. 

The costumes were incredible. With how well it did at the Oscars for a genre film (granted, a genre film directed by a guy they love, but still a genre film), I'm surprised that the Academy didn't nominate Ballhaus's cinematography. The whole thing looks gorgeous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

LMAO... I love how much Conservatives fume nowadays. It's sad to see how much they cannot evolve and come in terms with the time they are living in.

Nah, I agree with her. All the women in my life have expressed this "OMG what have we done?" sentiment. At least in my experience, most women themselves don't like how things are trending. It's one thing to stand up for women's rights and equality in all industries, but it's turned into more of an anti-man movement.

And it's true, millennial men are muffins and women aren't going for it.

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Nah, I agree with her. All the women in my life have expressed this "OMG what have we done?" sentiment. At least in my experience, most women themselves don't like how things are trending. It's one thing to stand up for women's rights and equality in all industries, but it's turned into more of an anti-man movement.

And it's true, millennial men are muffins and women aren't going for it.

If anything the world has been suffering for too long from excessive masculinity. Don't get me wrong too, I never think of masculinity as something negative, it's just that what I have in mind about the term has absolutely nothing to do with what most men who declare themselves 'masculine' represent.

Also, your evidence is quite anecdotal and I can say that I have met very few, If any, women who have such complaints.

• Like 2

Some of us are not very masculine and society always pressured us to act like something that we're not. That's a terrible thing to do to people. Women shouldn't be turned off by a guy not being masculine enough. I feel like that's something that shouldn't matter. It's like being mad at women not being submissive or not having a hot body. That's something guys fantasize about, but that's not really what makes us choose a girl to spend the rest of our lives with. Maybe I'm not that masculine, and maybe I have a bit of a crush on Superman, but that doesn't mean I don't like women, and that I won't be a good partner, and that I won't give you great sex, or that I won't make you my world. I would be a really good husband.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

If anything the world has been suffering for too long from excessive masculinity. Don't get me wrong too, I never think of masculinity as something negative, it's just that what I have in mind about the term has absolutely nothing to do with what most men who declare themselves 'masculine' represent.

Also, your evidence is quite anecdotal and I can say that I have met very few, If any, women who have such complaints.

It's not masculinity that's the problem. It's not excessive. It's people's character. I don't for a second condone sexual assault, unwanted advances and all the other things associated with "toxic masculinity". It's just that I attach that to the person's individual character, not masculinity. Us men are supposed to be masculine. We're supposed to be more assertive and rough around the edges. I absolutely believe that lack of masculinity is becoming a problem and that, soon, women are going to admit they're way less attracted to these new men who are being groomed to be more feminine. 

Absolutely my evidence is anecdotal. That's why I said "in my experience". I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush. I'm just saying what I personally believe to be true.

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Some of us are not very masculine and society always pressured us to act like something that we're not. That's a terrible thing to do to people. Women shouldn't be turned off by a guy not being masculine enough. I feel like that's something that shouldn't matter. It's like being mad at women not being submissive or not having a hot body. That's something guys fantasize about, but that's not really what makes us choose a girl to spend the rest of our lives with. Maybe I'm not that masculine, and maybe I have a bit of a crush on Superman, but that doesn't mean I don't like women, and that I won't be a good partner, and that I won't give you great sex, or that I won't make you my world. I would be a really good husband.

Hey, it's one thing if you're not as masculine. I know one way in which I'm not typically masculine is I'm not very handy. Like, at all. What I don't like is this new movement for us men to be LESS masculine.

Also, women absolutely have a right to be turned off by men who are not masculine enough. It's not a conscious choice on their part, it's biology. It's ingrained in the DNA both men and women to be attracted to certain things. Again, I'm not painting everyone with the same brush. Some women don't need men to be very masculine. I'm just saying that for those that do, it's not a bad thing on their part.

Edited by JB33

Which female celebrity was it that tweeted last year a complaint about an airport security person or attendant or whatever jokingly asking her for her number. Like, that's the stuff I'm talking about. If you're not interested, you're not interested. That's fine, but don't go acting like that was an egregious act of toxic masculinity. It's because of this stuff that men are getting more unsure of themselves and how to act in certain situations around women.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's not a statement that I can agree with because you cannot tell anyone what should turn them on. I am a bi guy and I am never attracted to feminine guys. I have no fuckin problem with them, I love them (they usually make me laugh a ton) but I just can't see them erotically.

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's not masculinity that's the problem. It's not excessive. It's people's character. I don't for a second condone sexual assault, unwanted advances and all the other things associated with "toxic masculinity". It's just that I attach that to the person's individual character, not masculinity. Us men are supposed to be masculine. We're supposed to be more assertive and rough around the edges. I absolutely believe that lack of masculinity is becoming a problem and that, soon, women are going to admit they're way less attracted to these new men who are being groomed to be more feminine. 

Absolutely my evidence is anecdotal. That's why I said "in my experience". I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush. I'm just saying what I personally believe to be true.

You are presenting a model about both sexes that is old-fashioned and we are quickly moving away from it. And the reason why we SHOULD move away from it is that it is impossible to expect all people from one sex to have the same behaviour. No one is pushed to be less masculine, it's just that people that are not masculine are being more themselves now. The society's consensus is not 'masculine is bad' it's more like 'not being super masculine is not that bad'.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Us men are supposed to be masculine. We're supposed to be more assertive and rough around the edges. 

“We” aren’t supposed to be anything. Stop trying to group everyone into your narrow-minded view. Everyone is an individual and has their own personality/path. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You are presenting a model about both sexes that is old-fashioned and we are quickly moving away from it. And the reason why we SHOULD move away from it is that it is impossible to expect all people from one sex to have the same behaviour. No one is pushed to be less masculine, it's just that people that are not masculine are being more themselves now. The society's consensus is not 'masculine is bad' it's more like 'not being super masculine is not that bad'.

I have problems with this line of thinking, but I'll save that for another day. For now, let's go with what you're saying. So less masculine men are just allowed to be themselves now. Ok, fair enough, but there's still the issue of men who ARE more masculine being made to feel like they shouldn't be. It's like white people being told to "check their privilege". It infuriates me.

22 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What year do you think this is?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

“We” aren’t supposed to be anything. Stop trying to group everyone into your narrow-minded view. Everyone is an individual and has their own personality/path. 

To a degree, yes we are. I say to people like you, stop trying to pretend that we are being than nature itself. We are absolutely born with a specific set of attributes as men, as women are. When I say "supposed to" I'm not talking about being a certain way just because, I'm talking about bioology and human nature.

It's this line of thinking that has led to the new transgender movement and kids being indoctrinated in schools. We can all be whoever and whatever we want to be!! Uh, no. We are absolutely all unique in many ways, and I realize that all men and women don't fit into a narrow box, but I believe we're getting TOO liberal with this.

Edited by JB33
  • Knock It Off 1