Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, JB33 said:

I have problems with this line of thinking, but I'll save that for another day. For now, let's go with what you're saying. So less masculine men are just allowed to be themselves now. Ok, fair enough, but there's still the issue of men who ARE more masculine being made to feel like they shouldn't be. It's like white people being told to "check their privilege". It infuriates me.

Define what more masculine comes with though. Because usually it's about abuse and disrespect. I mean come on, women are even now overwhelmingly liking assertive and dynamic guys. What they don't like is not treating them equally, abusing them and being jerks in general.

• Like 1

Over 45 million people have watched this Sandra Bullock Netflix movie, geez. A dozen friends in the past couple of days have said they watched it and I overheard the people behind me talking about it before Ben is Back yesterday. Watching it tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Define what more masculine comes with though. Because usually it's about abuse and disrespect. I mean come on, women are even now overwhelmingly liking assertive and dynamic guys. What they don't like is not treating them equally, abusing them and being jerks in general.

I agree with all of this. That's what I'm trying to say. Those abusers and jerks, hold them accountable as the people they are. Don't make it about excessive or toxic masculinity. 

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

To a degree, yes we are. I say to people like you, stop trying to pretend that we are being than nature itself. We are absolutely born with a specific set of attributes as men, as women are. When I say "supposed to" I'm not talking about being a certain way just because, I'm talking about bioology and human nature.

It's this line of thinking that has led to the new transgender movement and kids being indoctrinated in schools. We can all be whoever and whatever we want to be!! Uh, no. We are absolutely all unique in many ways, and I realize that all men and women don't fit into a narrow box, but I believe we're getting TOO liberal with this.

Have you ever met a transgender person? Are you a doctor who has thoroughly studied the subject?

I am not trying to call you out. Just as an advice try to refrain from criticizing people without having any clue about what they are facing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Have you ever met a transgender person? Are you a doctor who has thoroughly studied the subject?

I am not trying to call you out. Just as an advice try to refrain from criticizing people without having any clue about what they are facing. 

I'm not an expert on the subject whatsoever, but I'm allowed my fundamental beliefs. I believe this transgender stuff is a fad, but a dangerous one. We  as humans (well, certain ones) are appallingly arrogant in stating things like "Just because you're born with a penis, it doesn't mean your gender is male". Like, who do we think we are? A man may feel more feminine, and that's fine, so long as he accepts he is a man. He was born a man, he is a man, he will always be a man.

I want to make it clear that, despite by strong beliefs, I'm a character guy and I'm not someone who is going to despise or shame people who are transgender. I just don't have to believe in it. If I did know a transgender person, I would express my discomfort with it but I wouldn't treat them with any less respect than they deserve. All this to say, it's ok to have personal beliefs (before I get pounced on for being a this and that).

Edited by JB33

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm not an expert on the subject whatsoever, but I'm allowed my fundamental beliefs. I believe this transgender stuff is a fad, but a dangerous one. We  as humans (well, certain ones) are appallingly arrogant in stating things like "Just because you're born with a penis, it doesn't mean your gender is male". Like, who do we think we are? A man may feel more feminine, and that's fine, so long as he accepts he is a man. He was born a man, he is a man, he will always be a man.

I want to make it clear that, despite by strong beliefs, I'm a character guy and I'm not someone who is going to despise or shame people who are transgender. I just don't have to believe in it. If I did know a transgender person, I would express my discomfort with it but I wouldn't treat them with any less respect than they deserve. All this to say, it's ok to have personal beliefs (before I get pounced on for being a this and that).

You are dismissing people feeling a certain way without knowing or trying to understand how they feel and why they feel this way. You are calling it a 'fad'. Do you seriously believe that there is a single person that would go through a whole surgery/months of medical treatment and would be willing to face so much discrimination simply because they want to be part of some sort of trend? Do you think that any person would go through that whole procedure without facing serious issues about their identity, without being in serious pain?

You don't even have to try to understand. But if you don't want to then you absolutely shouldn't be making such comments.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You are dismissing people feeling a certain way without knowing or trying to understand how they feel and why they feel this way. You are calling it a 'fad'. Do you seriously believe that there is a single person that would go through a whole surgery/months of medical treatment and would be willing to face so much discrimination simply because they want to be part of some sort of trend? Do you think that any person would go through that whole procedure without facing serious issues about their identity, without being in serious pain?

You don't even have to try to understand. But if you don't want to then you absolutely shouldn't be making such comments.

It may not be a fad for everyone, granted, but those that are serious and go through all those surgeries are terribly misguided, in my mind. It's messed up.

• Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Over 45 million people have watched this Sandra Bullock Netflix movie, geez. A dozen friends in the past couple of days have said they watched it and I overheard the people behind me talking about it before Ben is Back yesterday. Watching it tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

It's alright.

• Community Manager
55 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why do you care so much what other people do? Get over yourself. The world doesn't revolve around you. People don't have to live the way you think they should live at least in a free country. 

That's a big problem in society: too many people care too much about what other people are doing. Just focus on living your own life and being as happy as possible and let other people do what makes them happy (as long as it doesn't mean they hurt other people).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Why do you care so much what other people do? Get over yourself. The world doesn't revolve around you. People don't have to live the way you think they should live at least in a free country. 

That's a big problem in society: too many people care too much about what other people are doing. Just focus on living your own life and being as happy as possible and let other people do what makes them happy (as long as it doesn't mean they hurt other people).

This is incredibly naive. It's not like I'm complaining about, say, someone's dining habits. What we're talking about is something that has real world impact. Not to mention, I was simply answering @FantasticBeasts questions.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

This is incredibly naive. It's not like I'm complaining about, say, someone's dining habits. What we're talking about is something that has real world impact. Not to mention, I was simply answering @FantasticBeasts questions.

Real world impact? It doesn't impact you at all. It makes ZERO difference in your life. But your personal beliefs? It leads to violence against transgender people as well as discrimination. 

• Like 4

This is going to be unpopular maybe but I legitimately think Bird Box has to be in contention if there's a list of say top 5 movies of 2018 (not quality wise, but in terms of viewership and impact). The only other 2018 movie I've seen (maybe) as much social media presence as I have for this is Infinity War. At work last night I had a half dozen calls asking if we would be playing it. And the Netflix viewership is 45M after 7 days (which if you wanted to translate into tickets sold would rank it around 420M around what JWFK is at domestically). 

I dunno, Aquaman is definitely a huge box office hit, but I think Bird Box is going to go down as the movie of the holiday season.