Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Ad Astra, Us, and the new Tarantino are the only 2019 films I'm really looking forward to. Also interested to see how they wrap up Star Wars, and curious about Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker.

The rest of the year looks like a wasteland of generic blockbusters.

Even if you're not interested in all the other generic blockbusters, you have to admit this year will be pretty fun, strictly talking box office. For instance, I have almost zero interest in AVATAR 2 in 2020 but you can be sure I'll be glued to this forum and BOM during its run!

On 12/28/2018 at 8:54 PM, JB33 said:

Which female celebrity was it that tweeted last year a complaint about an airport security person or attendant or whatever jokingly asking her for her number. Like, that's the stuff I'm talking about. If you're not interested, you're not interested. That's fine, but don't go acting like that was an egregious act of toxic masculinity. It's because of this stuff that men are getting more unsure of themselves and how to act in certain situations around women.

Sooo, its absolute o.K. for a male to go to a female to ask her out beside never having any contact beforehand?

= implying one night stand, willingness to go with a stranger,...

Btw, funnily those males are in reality the first ones who will insult the female as a wh.... if she says no.

Too often even scream that. Feeling entitled is what I call that.

Jokingly.... wanna bet that he wanted to?

Nearly every time a male gets caught with scratching the limits, its: it was a joke or: she doesn't understand a joke / is no fun.... Or worse.

I am disappointed in you seemingly not even seeing what here probably happened and why this was not the best example for your case

On 12/28/2018 at 9:09 PM, JB33 said:

I have problems with this line of thinking, but I'll save that for another day. For now, let's go with what you're saying. So less masculine men are just allowed to be themselves now. Ok, fair enough, but there's still the issue of men who ARE more masculine being made to feel like they shouldn't be. It's like white people being told to "check their privilege". It infuriates me.

Maybe what some males think what makes them 'more' masculine is not what a lot of others (no matter if male or female) think what masculine is even about. E.g. strength is not an only masculine marker.... if it is about all beside maybe bodily strength.

A strutter is not.

I find it always interesting to see males / females that grew up without 'gender guidance', strangely they show a very much less need for 'must-show-strut/loud...-masculinity-to-proof-to-be-one' behaviour. In my experience at least, might be a regional and cultural thingy too.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

He’ll probably stan for Artemis Fowl because it’s sure to be the one Disney bomb in a sea of massive grossers next year.

I have not read it (only some parts), but young relatives then were so caught, that they told me (nearly) the complete book 1. Absolute not typical for them (usually tight mouthed about movie/books/games/...) then.

= I stan for it to succeed

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I really want that to be good and succeed. Like, soooo much...

Me too, fingers crossed. Bough the books in my language and in English for the school library in the hope someone out of the actual young generation will want to read it too. Reminds me, I'll have to pack it in the 'present/suggestion' display thingy - together with 15-20 other titles, its time to change the selection again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Starting this back up, so far the MCU has taken two Bamboo Sticks, will it take more?

Hmmm, TLJ won the Bamboo Stick of the year award or something. Value of the bamboo stick must have plummeted after that.

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Sooo, its absolute o.K. for a male to go to a female to ask her out beside never having any contact beforehand?

= implying one night stand, willingness to go with a stranger,...

In a professional setting, too. I think the dude who did that deserves all the shit he's gotten.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, aabattery said:

In a professional setting, too. I think the dude who did that deserves all the shit he's gotten.

You're right, I missed that per too fast a glance

I didn't read up on the details, but usually a prominent person (she is one?) is happy to have reached the 'professional' area - to be able to breath free for not being under the potential microscope of some fans..... and can expect to encounter people who as professionals behave like such.

• Like 1