Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

@aabattery @Spagspiria can someone open up a thread for On the Basis of Sex in the RTM section please?

Also I assume we’ll be having a live feed thread for the Golden Globes tomorrow as always.

I’ll make threads for both once I’m back from Aquaman.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, Lordmandeep said:

The issue Jason I noticed is that it's spreading away from the fringe alt right white based groups and more into the mainstream as a lot of the flag bearers such as your Shapiros and Petersons and Youtube stars have become very mainstream.

Ofc as those ideas get more mainstream they are not as 'crazy' as they were in the extreme fringes. 

Like anyone observing Youtube and Meme culture can clearly tell there is a huge "anti sjw" sentiment these days. Its not that all the people are against all progressive ideas, I think people think its gone a bit far and they won't really get that viewpoint validated from mainstream media really. 

Like for example on the wage gap, mainstream media says its exists but in those groups its seen as either false or nowhere near as big as claimed.

That is why those people have like skyrocketed in popularity.

Its a trend to watch out for and not dismiss imo because a lot of my friends who are reasonable guys and I can hear them parrot line by line something Jordan Peterson says. 

You likely already know how widely shared those memes from groups like Ontario Proud are. 

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier.

Regarding specifically what lorddemaxus mentioned though, I feel like people who get really upset about things like "why are they casting X as a minority etc." is fairly limited in general, but more widespread among certain online communities. Most people (as far as I can tell) just don't care that much about that sort of stuff.

But yes, people who are skeptical of the wage gap etc. are more widespread. Although I'm not sure that it's necessarily reactionary, for example I don't think there's ever been a time when most people accepted and especially understood the wage gap. (And certainly, some of the statistics quoted for the wage gap are easily dismissed by anyone inclined to be skeptical.)

That being said, I do think social media makes it much easier for skeptical/reactionary viewpoints to spread more widely.

(p.s. congrats on getting engaged!)

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

Mission: Impossible - Fallout is available for me to watch tonight on Blu-ray.  

Because of Tom Cruise, I was going to opt out with streaming a 720p version and watch it 1080p Blu-Ray surround sound, but

i'm not feeling that Mi6 is going to have that much action though, so I might go with something like a Star Wars movie or Insomnia (2002) tonight instead.

Edited by nature club

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier.

Regarding specifically what lorddemaxus mentioned though, I feel like people who get really upset about things like "why are they casting X as a minority etc." is fairly limited in general, but more widespread among certain online communities. Most people (as far as I can tell) just don't care that much about that sort of stuff.

But yes, people who are skeptical of the wage gap etc. are more widespread. Although I'm not sure that it's necessarily reactionary, for example I don't think there's ever been a time when most people accepted and especially understood the wage gap. (And certainly, some of the statistics quoted for the wage gap are easily dismissed by anyone inclined to be skeptical.)

That being said, I do think social media makes it much easier for skeptical/reactionary viewpoints to spread more widely.

(p.s. congrats on getting engaged!)

I would say on issues like the wage gap and political correctness, the right-wing elements online have gone mainstream on those issues. 

The issue is the data is confusing for the wage gap and when people cant make much sense of it.  I have tried myself to make sense of it and I hear so many differing arguments I sort of have become sceptical overall.

But that is why when Professor Jordan Peterson puts out an argument that seems logical and reasonable even though it may be flawed, people will accept it. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

8 hours ago, nature club said:

i'm not feeling that Mi6 is going to have that much action though, so I might go with something like a Star Wars movie or Insomnia (2002) tonight instead.

Damn, Skynet has also mastered sarcasm! We're all fucked!

Also, can someone recommend some good stand-up? Not looking for a style in particular - it can be profanity-laced or fairly tame, but delivered really well (like, I don't find Trevor Noah's stuff hilarious, but I enjoy his story-telling, so I like his stuff). Preferably something from the last decade.

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Also, can someone recommend some good stand-up? Not looking for a style in particular - it can be profanity-laced or fairly tame, but delivered really well (like, I don't find Trevor Noah's stuff hilarious, but I enjoy his story-telling, so I like his stuff). Preferably something from the last decade.

john mulaney is pretty good.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I really dug Hasan Minhaj's "Homecoming King" on Netflix, but that's only like a quasi-stand up? Great stuff tho

Just now, TMP said:

I really dug Hasan Minhaj's "Homecoming King" on Netflix, but that's only like a quasi-stand up? Great stuff tho

Yeah, that was good. Not hilarious stuff, but compelling, with loads of funny bits, insight and good story-telling.

• Like 1

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, that was good. Not hilarious stuff, but compelling, with loads of funny bits, insight and good story-telling.

His Netflix series, Patriot Act, is pretty great too - was also in the news recently for their Saudi Arabia episode being banned there