Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

It’ll be a crazy eventful six weeks

April 14th - GOT Premiere

April 28th - Endgame

May 10th - Detective Pikachu

May 11th - Bachelors Graduation

May 19th - Series Finale of Game of Thrones

Maybe the most emotional six weeks of my life.

Right on. Gear up!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Panda said:

April 28th - Endgame

Yeah my graduation ceremony is on May 21st.

Also is it just me or has Young Justice Season 3 gone completely under the radar? I hardly see any online chatter for it compared to how vocal people were when it was cancelled the first time. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

Extremely #casual opinion here but this season of True Detective is rocking so far, the cast and central mystery are great, and unlike some reviewers I'm glad it's following the spirit of Season One, which is one of the most engaging seasons of television perhaps ever made. It feels good to be knee deep in some wacky Reddit theories again like I am right now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Extremely #casual opinion here but this season of True Detective is rocking so far, the cast and central mystery are great, and unlike some reviewers I'm glad it's following the spirit of Season One, which is one of the most engaging seasons of television perhaps ever made. It feels good to be knee deep in some wacky Reddit theories again like I am right now.

You and I agree here @Cmasterclay. Loved Season 1 and I can't wait to get started on Season 3. Good to hear you're loving it so far!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

so my parents are officially splitting up I guess I just wish they decided to tell me sooner instead of avoiding talking to me altogether 

Geez man, sorry to hear that. My parents hid it so well and acted like nothing was wrong until after I graduated and then BAM! I know they were trying to do the right thing by letting me get through my Grade 12 unimpeded but it also happened to be really bad timing looking back because I moved out on my own for the first time, went through a breakup and started working full time for the first time, all around the same time. It was just a matter of juggling adulting for the very first time while dealing with that and it sort of set the course of my 20's which, suffice it to say, was a rocky course.

Anyway, enough about me. Hope you have some good conversations with your folks and get through this as best you can.

Edited by JB33
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Honestly I am very serious when I say that I believe the majority of people my age (mid 20s) have divorced parents. Or at least that's the overwhelming impression I get from people I know.

I wonder if it's a generational thing, I'm in my 50s and know a lot of friends who divorced, I decided at an early age to never get married or have children and think I've been happier for it. I know being gay is probably a huge factor in those choices too, but even then we are both vehemently against marriage as an institution. 

I think often people don't have a great grasp on just what a life commitment marriage is, and so many people end up being victims of the fallout (family, friends etc.), it's rarely a pleasant situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wonder if it's a generational thing, I'm in my 50s and know a lot of friends who divorced, I decided at an early age to never get married or have children and think I've been happier for it. I know being gay is probably a huge factor in those choices too, but even then we are both vehemently against marriage as an institution. 

I think often people don't have a great grasp on just what a life commitment marriage is, and so many people end up being victims of the fallout (family, friends etc.), it's rarely a pleasant situation. 

You know I've thought about this a bit and the conclusion thay I have come to is that I'd rather have a society full of divorced couples than the continuation of centuries of abuse within the insitution of marriage.

I get people may be giving up too easily nowadays but at least they don't have to endure a lot of things they shoudn't.

As for me, I dont think I will ever get married. I am too unstable as a person and I lack patience so.... let's just say better not try it. Actually, I have only lived in the same house with one partner of mine and I made it for a week before they threw me out.

• Astonished 1

10 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

how overlooked Blade is when people talk about how groundbreaking Black Panther was in casting for a big mainstream SH/popcorn movie.

10 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's probably generational...

Maybe one of the reasons might be (counting for myself in this case, hence the thought, but also reactions of RL friends then)  it was and partly still is seen as a ~ horror/monster whatever movie that happens to be based on a comic. And felt also like it had added a few grains of the original Shaft added for some reasons (little details only, might be a thing out of the translations/dubbings Shaft I never saw in   the original version, Blade only later on VHS or disc in English)

At least watching it as an adult then having 'lived through' earlier CBMs also as an adult:

CBMs were in my POV at least then something else.

CBM had also a bit of bad taste per Batman Forever and Batman & Robin as the last ones in the back of the mind.

I even like part 3 to a degree (means some scenes I like, some I do not like... and so on)

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

April 28th - Endgame

Hmm mine (by huge way not the most emotional weeks....) look like this:

February 5th the next In Death book gets released, time to re-hear all 47 earlier releases (plus novellas)

That 'author' is a funny thing to me, I love the series with that pen name and can't stand her other pen names' works at all.

March 7th Captain Marvel

April 25th Endgame

May 20th start to binge watch GoT

I never saw more than a few clips of GoT, hate cliffhangers,... I usually wait till a series is finalised.  Hence the reason I did not read the books neither... yet.

Have to fill in a few more titles for books and movies (in cinema I watch mostly Sci-Fi / action,... for the big screen), but do not know the release dates out of my head.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Hmm mine (by huge way not the most emotional weeks....) look like this:

February 5th the next In Death book gets released, time to re-hear all 47 earlier releases (plus novellas)

That 'author' is a funny thing to me, I love the series with that pen name and can't stand her other pen names' works at all.

March 7th Captain Marvel

April 25th Endgame

May 20th start to binge watch GoT

I never saw more than a few clips of GoT, hate cliffhangers,... I usually wait till a series is finalised.  Hence the reason I did not read the books neither... yet.

Have to fill in a few more titles for books and movies (in cinema I watch mostly Sci-Fi / action,... for the big screen), but do not know the release dates out of my head.

I’d start to binge it now, it’s an event just discussing the episodes weekly

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I’d start to binge it now, it’s an event just discussing the episodes weekly

Thanks for the suggestion, but I always start after the last episode got aired, it's a thing of principle nowadays, based on bad experience in the past (book-, TV-series, all kind of serial releases). Also I wouldn't even want to wait for the next episode during the final episodes.

Plus I have enough 'to do' with the first named title (= 48 audio-books plus novellas) in that list for a few weeks

I only hear audio books during manual work (my work nowadays is split up into high stress / thinking work = no audio-books, and way less brainy work, = hearing audio-books on one ear, not sure about the correct term) or if taking a break, driving the car, during the grocery buys (people often look a bit funny in stores, as I tend to use the big headphones then), household work, shovelling snow for the moment too, and so on, but I do not sleep a lot, so...

In the past I watched a lot of movies and TV-series each year, the last ~ 3 years audio-books took over in a big way (my day-to-day life changed also a lot). Maybe that will change again in the future, who knows.