Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I surfed all the way through 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) completely for the first time, keeping in mind now that 10 Things was counterprogrammed against The Matrix's first OW, and boy I was not disappointed.  I wish I had grown familiar with this one when I was beginning as a teenager.  

I took bong hits probably 5 times through the movie and realized 10 Things was an excellent movie to open against The Matrix.  I must have had a Shakespeare/Love-like resentment before for 10 Things because it was stealing attention away from Matrix and I just downplayed the rom-com as a bland excuse to steer away from Sci-Fi revolutions.

Anyways, The-Out-of-Towners opened as counterprogramming against 10 Things and The Matrix too, so I will be interested to see if this one dives as deep as the other 2 did.  

1 hour ago, gravestone dt said:

I surfed all the way through 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) completely for the first time, keeping in mind now that 10 Things was counterprogrammed against The Matrix's first OW, and boy I was not disappointed.  I wish I had grown familiar with this one when I was beginning as a teenager.  

I took bong hits probably 5 times through the movie and realized 10 Things was an excellent movie to open against The Matrix.  I must have had a Shakespeare/Love-like resentment before for 10 Things because it was stealing attention away from Matrix and I just downplayed the rom-com as a bland excuse to steer away from Sci-Fi revolutions.

Anyways, The-Out-of-Towners opened as counterprogramming against 10 Things and The Matrix too, so I will be interested to see if this one dives as deep as the other 2 did.  

You should write up 10 things you loved about it. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

You should write up 10 things you loved about it. :lol: 

I would if I could.  I think just like The Matrix, this was one of those films where they wrote in a lot of stuff that could later be discussed in college papers.  Interested to see if The Out-of-Towners did the same thing.  

it is an interesting thought experiment though about writing reviews for movies.  what else is there to review that goes to such great lengths with opinions??  the pen is an interesting tool!!

• Like 1

yeesh my friend's movie opinions are so infuriating because he only ever follows the herd without having a mind of his own, but then shits on everyone else because they're wrong since "everyone else agrees with him so he must be right"

Started with ONLY listening to critics. He'd come out of a movie and be like "that was brilliant, 8.5/10" then you check the Metacritic score and its 85. Maybe it was a coincidence at first, but it happened WAY too many times. 

Anyways he's like "saw spiderverse last night lol it was so shit" and I'm like "what actually? Did you bother to check the Metacritic score?" (kinda poking him a bit with a stick) and he's like "no didn't bother. Knew it would be shit anyways cause its Sony. If they just completely gave the rights to Marvel it would be good. Also did you see the Captain Marvel trailers??? Best trailers ever, I can't wait!" 

• Haha 2

@CJohn Dude, following Portuguese TV channel ratings is exciting again...... SIC has been leading since last week (apart from the weekend days, where TVI won) and has a good chance to snatch the 150th consecutive month in leadership away from TVI :ohmygod:

Cristina Ferreira is a fucking PHENOMENON. None of her shows have fallen below 35% in share, and her 1st two went above 40%. She single-handledly dragged SIC's daytime and afternoon programming to crushing leaderships, all the way until prime time when the night news shows become competitive and then the TVI soap operas annihilate SIC's. It's like the opposite of 2013, when SIC had the Avatar of Portuguese TV shows (Dancin' Days) and a killer prime time, but then lost on the completely boneless programming that came beforehand. This feels kind of historic, actually :rofl:

9 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Another summer another visit to the Australian Open. Weather was much better than it was last year.

Awesome! Unfortunately I'm a cord cutter so I can't watch it like I used to. Are you visiting from elsewhere or are you Australian?

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Dude, following Portuguese TV channel ratings is exciting again...... SIC has been leading since last week (apart from the weekend days, where TVI won) and has a good chance to snatch the 150th consecutive month in leadership away from TVI :ohmygod:

Cristina Ferreira is a fucking PHENOMENON. None of her shows have fallen below 35% in share, and her 1st two went above 40%. She single-handledly dragged SIC's daytime and afternoon programming to crushing leaderships, all the way until prime time when the night news shows become competitive and then the TVI soap operas annihilate SIC's. It's like the opposite of 2013, when SIC had the Avatar of Portuguese TV shows (Dancin' Days) and a killer prime time, but then lost on the completely boneless programming that came beforehand. This feels kind of historic, actually :rofl:

I am following the battle daily as well. Você na TV went as low as 17% share yesterday. It is pulling below numbers of what SIC usually did on the same place last year. Cristina Ferreira has saved SIC. She has pushed the entire channel to victory around her. Júlia is now defeating Fátima easily on the afternoons as well. It is insane. 

If any more proofs were needed, Cristina Ferreira is a REAL draw. Nobody touches her. Absolutely nobody. I fully believe that if she moves to RTP1, RTP1 becomes number 1 beating SIC and TVI. TVI is not getting the 150th consecutive month of leadership. In fact, unless we find out Cristina is killing puppies and babies on her free time, TVI is never leading any other month again. Maria Cerqueira Gomes is a thunderous mistake. Manuel Luis Goucha, just like everyone else, isn't a real draw (I think they should have kept him alone, but with these numbers, it is hard to argue results would have been any better).

Edited by CJohn

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I didn't know you were from Portugal.

I always find it crazy how our countries share the same language yet are so culturally apart. There's no consumption of each other's tv shows or movies or music, etc.

27 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am following the battle daily as well. Você na TV went as low as 17% share yesterday. It is pulling below numbers of what SIC usually did on the same place last year. Cristina Ferreira has saved SIC. She has pushed the entire channel to victory around her. Júlia is now defeating Fátima easily on the afternoons as well. It is insane. 

If any more proofs were needed, Cristina Ferreira is a REAL draw. Nobody touches her. Absolutely nobody. I fully believe that if she moves to RTP1, RTP1 becomes number 1 beating SIC and TVI. TVI is not getting the 150th consecutive month of leadership. In fact, unless we find out Cristina is killing puppies and babies on her free time, TVI is never leading any other month again. Maria Cerqueira Gomes is a thunderous mistake. Manuel Luis Goucha, just like everyone else, isn't a real draw (I think they should have kept him alone, but with these numbers, it is hard to argue results would have been any better).

Você na TV had a lower rating and share than the fucking re-run of Mar Salgado, which has been a flop and fell to sub-20% share from the over 30% that Primeiro Jornal had. Unreal.

Ironically, TVI's programming starts taking the lead when Apanha Se Puderes comes on :rofl:  But Avenida Brasil is already catching up and it will eventually take the lead for sure. And you are absolutely right: Cristina would destroy in just about any channel she came on. However, I feel like the insane promotion that the SIC transfer has had, and just the general quality of her show.... yeah, this was basically a Big Brother in 2000-like perfect storm. I still think TVI can win this month based on the weekends, and Cristina isn't staying at 35%+ forever unless she constantly finds way to renew herself (though never doubt the queen). But yeah, this is amazing.

And I don't think Maria was a mistake. I actually like her a lot. The problem is that TVI are M-O-R-O-N-S if they thought that she, a virtual unknown whose only feat was a somewhat popular talk show on Porto fucking Canal, as well as a slightly revamped Você na TV could take on the most buzzed about transfer maybe in Portuguese TV history. But I didn't think that Cristina would lead with THIS much intensity... Jesus.

And the scary thing is that SIC would be way higher if prime time wasn't complete dogshit ratings-wise. Alma e Coração is a billion times better than Paixão, and yet it's a bigger flop. And Vidas Opostas is the flop of the decade. The TVI shows aren't doing amazing either, tbh, but compared to SIC's, it's not even close.

@Napoleon TV Globo's soap operas have been a constant of Portuguese TV for decades now, and TV Globo Portugal (a cable channel) is the 5th most watched channel in the country. I'd beg to differ.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Você na TV had a lower rating and share than the fucking re-run of Mar Salgado, which has been a flop and fell to sub-20% share from the over 30% that Primeiro Jornal had. Unreal.

Ironically, TVI's programming starts taking the lead when Apanha Se Puderes comes on :rofl:  But Avenida Brasil is already catching up and it will eventually take the lead for sure. And you are absolutely right: Cristina would destroy in just about any channel she came on. However, I feel like the insane promotion that the SIC transfer has had, and just the general quality of her show.... yeah, this was basically a Big Brother in 2000-like perfect storm. I still think TVI can win this month based on the weekends, and Cristina isn't staying at 35%+ forever unless she constantly finds way to renew herself (though never doubt the queen). But yeah, this is amazing.

And I don't think Maria was a mistake. I actually like her a lot. The problem is that TVI are M-O-R-O-N-S if they thought that she, a virtual unknown whose only feat was a somewhat popular talk show on Porto fucking Canal, as well as a slightly revamped Você na TV could take on the most buzzed about transfer maybe in Portuguese TV history. But I didn't think that Cristina would lead with THIS much intensity... Jesus.

And the scary thing is that SIC would be way higher if prime time wasn't complete dogshit ratings-wise. Alma e Coração is a billion times better than Paixão, and yet it's a bigger flop. And Vidas Opostas is the flop of the decade. The TVI shows aren't doing amazing either, tbh, but compared to SIC's, it's not even close.

I think TVI expected a repeat of what happened with Júlia Pinheiro a few years ago. She bombed off the gate against a revamped Você na TV too after what was at the time the most buzzed transfer in Portuguese television ever. Maybe nobody realized at the time, but in retrospect that was the day Cristina proved she was the QUEEN. And yeah, I can see O Programa da Cristina staying at 35%+ share, the QUEEN will find a way the keep it at those levels. Você na TV hit an embarassing new low yesterday at just 17% share.

Cristina is so strong she actually gives back the leadership to TVI with a taped show ages ago. She is the biggest name of all time. When the taped Apanha Se Puderes shows end, I wonder what will happen and if TVI can sink even lower.

TVI just thought they would keep leading as always. They got lazy. They thought people would stay with Manuel. Honestly, looking right now, whoever they put in mornings is bound to mega bomb if the dude that was pulling 30-35% share just a month ago completely alone ain't even reaching 20% share now. This is the beginning of a revolution in Portuguese TV. Lets not forget Dancing With The Stars was TANKING against Casados À Primeira Vista. The format is not strong and Lyp Sinc Battle might take over if people are curious after reading about it over the week.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1