Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I know I’m not a big gamer.  But I’m pretty sure Doom wasn’t even popular when the Rock made it

A Doom reboot game came out a couple years ago actually. Don't know how popular it is (I've heard more about the Wolfenstein reboots than the Doom one), but the brand's definitely more popular than it was back in 2005.

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

A Doom reboot game came out a couple years ago actually. Don't know how popular it is (I've heard more about the Wolfenstein reboots than the Doom one), but the brand's definitely more popular than it was back in 2005.

It made bank across all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch. The Doom franchise is alive and well.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

they're never exactly making video game movies at the height of their popularity. i guess resident evil was pretty close. but angry birds felt way late, prince of persia felt way late, warcraft felt way late...

Peak Tomb Raider was probably 1997 with Tomb Raider 2, first movie released 2001.

Mortal Kombat in 1995 maybe ? Mortal Kombat arrive on SNES around 1994, I imagine the reason it was the biggest video game movie, without a studio, budget or being any good, the song and the timing.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they're never exactly making video game movies at the height of their popularity. i guess resident evil was pretty close. but angry birds felt way late, prince of persia felt way late, warcraft felt way late...

Bit while back, but feel like Mortal Kombat and the Jolie Tomb Raider managed to come out at the peak of popularity with the games, or at least very very close to it

I just want to rant about a uni prof right now and a class I'm in and please, tell me if I'm being irrational for being upset over this.

So first of all the midterms in this class are 4 essays that have to be written in 45 minutes (50 minute class, prof doesn't get there until when calss starts and THEN starts handing out exams). Provided no grading criteria last time and did not tell us how he would be marking it. Turned out they weren't going easy on us, and expect detailed 5 paragraph essays for each one... 4 of them! About 12 minutes per essay, less than 2.5 minutes per paragraph. What? Not to mention we get marks off for "messy handwriting, improper spelling, or awkward sentences" (this was not told to us last time, but we got up to 20% off for this when we got our grades back).

Then we had to hand in a report for that class. The prof put an announcement on the uni website about what he wanted from it. Not a rubric... of course not. Just a one sentence announcement saying "hello all. For the participant observation report, I expect you to discuss research methodology, ethical issues, problems you may have encountered, future research plans, and your justification for choosing the project you did. Bye for now" that was it. So when we got the paper back, he crossed out ALL of our paragraphs on ethics and when people complained he was like 

"ahh but I did not ask for you to discuss ethical concerns" and we're like um yes you did and he responded "did I? You may check the course spaces site if you wish" and so we did... and found he DELETED the announcement the day before we got the reports graded. What an ASSHOLE move. He's literally TRYING to fail us. Some people are going to talk to the department tomorrow and file a complaint, but that's going to do shit all cause it's all his word against ours.

And this is a second year class to. Not an honours class, not a fourth year class. But a second year class with NO prerequisites. 

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

I just want to rant about a uni prof right now and a class I'm in and please, tell me if I'm being irrational for being upset over this.

So first of all the midterms in this class are 4 essays that have to be written in 45 minutes (50 minute class, prof doesn't get there until when calss starts and THEN starts handing out exams). Provided no grading criteria last time and did not tell us how he would be marking it. Turned out they weren't going easy on us, and expect detailed 5 paragraph essays for each one... 4 of them! About 12 minutes per essay, less than 2.5 minutes per paragraph. What? Not to mention we get marks off for "messy handwriting, improper spelling, or awkward sentences" (this was not told to us last time, but we got up to 20% off for this when we got our grades back).

Then we had to hand in a report for that class. The prof put an announcement on the uni website about what he wanted from it. Not a rubric... of course not. Just a one sentence announcement saying "hello all. For the participant observation report, I expect you to discuss research methodology, ethical issues, problems you may have encountered, future research plans, and your justification for choosing the project you did. Bye for now" that was it. So when we got the paper back, he crossed out ALL of our paragraphs on ethics and when people complained he was like 

"ahh but I did not ask for you to discuss ethical concerns" and we're like um yes you did and he responded "did I? You may check the course spaces site if you wish" and so we did... and found he DELETED the announcement the day before we got the reports graded. What an ASSHOLE move. He's literally TRYING to fail us. Some people are going to talk to the department tomorrow and file a complaint, but that's going to do shit all cause it's all his word against ours.

And this is a second year class to. Not an honours class, not a fourth year class. But a second year class with NO prerequisites. 

The exams are what they are...I had a business class whose tests were literally 3 corporate test cases and we'd get 1 question about each, and have to do all of the finance stuff we knew to show how our answer was right (in the 50 minute time period).  Skip some finance equation or some area covered in the book, and those were points you did not earn.  They were rough tests, although I believe the course worked on a curve, so it wasn't as bad as expected.

But the report sounds underhanded...if he didn't inform any of you of the changes, and you can recover the original assignment, I would, especially if it cost you report points.  If it didn't cost points, then you again may be out of luck.

Are you aware if the course is on a curve or on a straight grade system - I'd worry less about it if it was a curve, b/c this could just be that prof's way of separating those who really grasp every little thing about the area and are made to major in it...and those who will be "one and done" - I know my brothers, when they were in engineering school, had at least one 1st year course each that was designed to do exactly that - it was known as the "weed out" class...unfortunately, you may be in one, too...

Now, that being said, there's no harm for you to stop by office hours and see if the prof has strategies that could help you put the info he wants on his tests or extra work you can do for extra credit to show you did know the material that didn't make it on the tests...for now, as a 2nd meeting, I would keep it pleasant, but direct.  And if that also goes badly, then I might look for a little outside help.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

From an educator's perspective (high school, but still): yeah, that's bullshit. He can't reasonably expect a sufficient level of detail with the parameters provided and changing the expectations without explicitly drawing the class's attention to it is extremely underhanded. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he included the ethics part on a previous exam and just forgot to take it out of his announcement to your class, he still shouldn't have: a.) Counted it against your grade when you thought it was what he was looking for, or b.) Denied that it was part of the guidance he gave by deleting it. I totally get that shit happens and a teacher/professor might post information that they don't intend to actually assess, but the answer there is to post a second clarification that you're *NOT* looking for whatever detail you mistakenly included.

Going to the department might not change anything immediately, but you never know. If there's a history of similar complaints about this professor, then what you say might move the dial at least a little bit. If not, then you can at least bring it to the department's attention so that they'll be likelier to see a pattern when the next class comes in complaining about the same thing. In the meantime, take a picture of anything he posts that could be relevant to your grade in the class so that you have evidence if he pulls another move like this one later in the semester.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

The exams are what they are...I had a business class whose tests were literally 3 corporate test cases and we'd get 1 question about each, and have to do all of the finance stuff we knew to show how our answer was right (in the 50 minute time period).  Skip some finance equation or some area covered in the book, and those were points you did not earn.  They were rough tests, although I believe the course worked on a curve, so it wasn't as bad as expected.

But the report sounds underhanded...if he didn't inform any of you of the changes, and you can recover the original assignment, I would, especially if it cost you report points.  If it didn't cost points, then you again may be out of luck.

Are you aware if the course is on a curve or on a straight grade system - I'd worry less about it if it was a curve, b/c this could just be that prof's way of separating those who really grasp every little thing about the area and are made to major in it...and those who will be "one and done" - I know my brothers, when they were in engineering school, had at least one 1st year course each that was designed to do exactly that - it was known as the "weed out" class...unfortunately, you may be in one, too...

Now, that being said, there's no harm for you to stop by office hours and see if the prof has strategies that could help you put the info he wants on his tests or extra work you can do for extra credit to show you did know the material that didn't make it on the tests...for now, as a 2nd meeting, I would keep it pleasant, but direct.  And if that also goes badly, then I might look for a little outside help.

9 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

From an educator's perspective (high school, but still): yeah, that's bullshit. He can't reasonably expect a sufficient level of detail with the parameters provided and changing the expectations without explicitly drawing the class's attention to it is extremely underhanded. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he included the ethics part on a previous exam and just forgot to take it out of his announcement to your class, he still shouldn't have: a.) Counted it against your grade when you thought it was what he was looking for, or b.) Denied that it was part of the guidance he gave by deleting it. I totally get that shit happens and a teacher/professor might post information that they don't intend to actually assess, but the answer there is to post a second clarification that you're *NOT* looking for whatever detail you mistakenly included.

Going to the department might not change anything immediately, but you never know. If there's a history of similar complaints about this professor, then what you say might move the dial at least a little bit. If not, then you can at least bring it to the department's attention so that they'll be likelier to see a pattern when the next class comes in complaining about the same thing. In the meantime, take a picture of anything he posts that could be relevant to your grade in the class so that you have evidence if he pulls another move like this one later in the semester.

Just responding to both here. No he doesn’t curve marks, he doesn’t “believe in curving, in giving people more than they deserve” also “does not believe there is such thing as an A answer” which I understand in principle in that you can always do better, but that doesn’t mean you give EVERYONE in the class lower than an A

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just responding to both here. No he doesn’t curve marks, he doesn’t “believe in curving, in giving people more than they deserve” also “does not believe there is such thing as an A answer” which I understand in principle in that you can always do better, but that doesn’t mean you give EVERYONE in the class lower than an A

I did have a writing class where it was required that each 12 person section only give 1 A...and they mentioned that at the get go (it was a 1st year class).  That was a department wide decision the professor was stuck enforcing, so not saying it is in this case (and I'm betting it's not), but it's happened where probably deserving A students couldn't get an A, literally, even if they deserved one if someone was better...

• Astonished 1

Apparently I just saw the filming of a brand new Gareth Evans HBO series. 

They turned a semi-abandoned shopping centre into a Chinese shopping mall. Not as cool as when they filmed Bandersnatch here and turned the street into something out of the 80s, but it’s something.

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

Is it sad that the only thing that surprises me in this story is that they just didn't give the school itself an enormous donation to get their kids in (although maybe they did, too, since I'm not sure some of those starting SAT scores could be "paid off" in an admission - there's even more cynicism from me as I get started with my own kids on this in a few years:)...

5 minutes ago

UPDATE: Felicity Huffman & Full House's Aunt Becky Lori Loughlin arrested in elite college admission bribery scheme ...could face up to 5 yrs behind bars

Da F.... Dont they earn money enough? (Rhetorical)