Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, Nova said:

I wonder how many more people have to be murdered before social media sites like Twitter and facebook remove white supremacists from their site. Like how in the hell does Fraser Anning still have a platform on Twitter. And I don't wanna hear about freedom of speech. there's a difference between freedom of speech and spewing out hate towards a group of people. This was Anning's reaction to the shooting: 

People like him should not be allowed to have a platform. Period. 

Just gut-wrenching. I've been thinking about this all day. Thinking about everyone in NZ, especially the families of the victims. I'm not sure who all is from NZ here but also thinking about you folks.

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Lol i been watching when calls the heart for 6 seasons and was wonderinh why this actress looked familiar.

She is being written out of that show too.

Its rather hilarious as she has such a nice disposition on screen.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Is it true that he only got 19 votes? (Well 18 since he def voted for himself) :ph34r:

Sort of. Read the post. 

Note:We use a secret ballot or “Australian ballot” so we can’t be sure whether or not he voted for himself. 

Although the concept of a secret ballot  goes back to Ancient Greece it’s bizarre to think that it only became commonplace in the last 150 years. Recent enough so that campaigners for it in the US in the late 19th century called it the Australian ballot. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, even putting this aside, who wants autoplaying-videos? I can’t think of a single context why it’d be beneficial to a user. On the other hand, it’s quite easy to see why sites would want it, since they can claim thousands or millions or views and charge advertisers accordingly. 

Just another area where tech is completely fucked. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I mean, even putting this aside, who wants autoplaying-videos? I can’t think of a single context why it’d be beneficial to a user. On the other hand, it’s quite easy to see why sites would want it, since they can claim thousands or millions or views and charge advertisers accordingly. 

This is the smartest thing I've read on the internet today...

I HATE all auto-play videos and keep my computer on mute for that reason (until I want volume and manually turn it on), so at least I can ignore any auto-play things til I can x them out...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I've intentionally been avoiding social media so that I won't see any of the video. Seems like a sound choice.

Smartest decision you’ve made. I’ve actually considered deactivating my social media accounts because of this. I turned off auto play on Twitter and STILL encountered that video because news channels were broadcasting it which just makes me believe it’s going to be unavoidable unless I actively avoid it. 

I only have social media sites to keep up with movie news/news in general when I’m on the go but I’ve come to realize I can just visit this site or sites in general to get my news, which is what we all used to do anyways before social media burst the way it did. 

37 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I guess posts like this are why you got second most valuable user on BOT :thinking:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

I only have social media sites to keep up with movie news/news in general when I’m on the go but I’ve come to realize I can just visit this site or sites in general to get my news, which is what we all used to do anyways before social media burst the way it did. 

Same.