Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

13 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why do atheists care?

Not sure if serious.... (if serious, why the distinction between atheist and non Abrahamic  religions, it is not like a lot of non-atheist do not believe in that God and Jesus)

Edited by Barnack

Violating the NIRD philosophy for second...

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why do atheists care?

You don't have to believe in the Christian god to deeply feel the cultural and historical significance of the Notre Dame Cathedral.  As CoolEric258 pointed out, you don't have to be a part of a group to feel deep sympathy and loss along with them.

Setting aside all of that, as a work of art, it's iconic and historic.  An appreciation of art knows no limits between believers and non.

This is a moment of tragedy, and it's one felt by many of all creeds and faiths.

• Like 9

In my late father's immortal words, "stuff doesn't matter, people do - stuff can be rebuilt, people can't"...it's a tragedy that the cathedral burned (and hopefully, it is a tragedy/accident and nothing more), but it's a blessing that it seems that no one was killed or (possibly) even hurt in the fire.  Throughout history, many cathedrals have been destroyed and rebuilt...hopefully, we can do the same for Notre Dame.  Doesn't make today any better, but...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

When Andy told me the cathedral was burning my first question was is it Arson?  I am not catholic but feel bad for those that are, Notre dame has been there for what feels like forever and more.

Edited by carolwoodpr
  • Like 1

Stuff happened to many historic things. The hysteria around this moment is kinda unbelievable. Considering the history of the christian church (which i'm sure it's one of the reasons people are atheists) i'm perplexed atheists are so hurt about this cathedral. 

Yeah, it's part of our history, but is it a good representation?

Edited by Alli
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 6

this makes me wonder...

does anyone know the price and secrecy around all this ancient architecture?

what does it do for us?  such as the pyramids....

it always seems we are not allowed inside, and everything is always protected and the stones are conserved...

isn't this just another museum basically?  was there any secrets about the world that had to big of a price on it, but such transparency would be great for colleges?

monuments are achievements that have emotional attachment, but so does an NBA season or a movie

Edited by shouldnt have shouldnt be

14 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why do atheists care?

I was often in that cathedral, it has an impact also on atheists, a lot visited it, I often saw and heard the reaction. Often at the start a bit louder than others, not provoking but a bit more careless than others. But the light in it, the windows that tell so many stories (in a way graphic novels for the illiterate then too), the only bright element in a darker surrounding the vast space, aisles ... ppl get more and more silent, more and more in awe.

It was a ~ military short time hospital during the Napoleonic Wars too, so much history, so much art.

Its so huge inside, it has a kind of graduated spread out roofs and bases that give an atypical sum

https://media.gettyimages.com/videos/aerial-view-of-paris-with-notre-dame-cathedral-video-id673078640

drawing that shows perspective and size better than some modern day photos, especially as it uses another angle then possible, another part than the most take. And its empty then

Pieter-Neefs-The-Elder-Interior-of-the-N

tour_img-658896-145.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

So the roof, the spire and the stained glass windows are gone but the bell towers and the works of art inside are saved, correct?

I am afraid more the moveable art, there are statues, wooden interieur I'd call art too, that I can*t imagine they were able to movie completly. Fingers crossed

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Disney continuing to consolidate power. Only Comcast left now in Hulu, wonder if they have a deal in the works there.

"Disney improves every service it touches.  Judged by any metric: Cost, availability and programming.  Compare Disney rule to what is happening now. Is the world better now since streaming arose? Look around, I see nothing but chaos and fragmentation."

Disney will bring Peace and Prosperity to the chaos and disorder of the current steaming landscape.

---

As Director Krennic would say: Well, you have to start somewhere.

Edited by Porthos