Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

If anything, this should really be a leason to us all. So many of our monuments are falling apart, priceless pieces of art and architecture are being lost to neglect and decay. Today it's Notre Dame, tomorrow it can easily be the Palace of Westminster in London, another building in a horrible state of disrepair. We cannot keep acting once it's too late. As a (hopefully) future architect, I really think it's time for the rich countries of EU to really put their act together and invest their money in saving their culture that has taken centuries to develop, or we will continue to see sights like this.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

If anything, this should really be a leason to us all. So many of our monuments are falling apart, priceless pieces of art and architecture are being lost to neglect and decay. Today it's Notre Dame, tomorrow it can easily be the Palace of Westminster in London, another building in a horrible state of disrepair. We cannot keep acting once it's too late. As a (hopefully) future architect, I really think it's time for the rich countries of EU to really put their act together and invest their money in saving their culture that has taken centuries to develop, or we will continue to see sights like this.

I think the irony here is that the place caught on fire due to the renovation though 

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the irony here is that the place caught on fire due to the renovation though 

The renovation was slow and basically ineffective, as not enough resources were being put into it. Some experts even said the building could suffer severe structural problems in the next decade, so what we're seeing today is something we would've probably seen soon enough.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

cleaning  the acid rain water damaged fassade is not really renovation. They did recently (see the clip from öast summer) work on the new destroyed spire and parts of the roof, but just a few days or 2 weeks back we heard quite a lot about it needs lots of more done, and that soon (like yesterday).

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Stuff happened to many historic things. The hysteria around this moment is kinda unbelievable. Considering the history of the christian church (which i'm sure it's one of the reasons people are atheists) i'm perplexed atheists are so hurt about this cathedral. 

Yeah, it's part of our history, but is it a good representation?

I'm so glad your bad takes extends to more than just actors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

April 15th is a terrible day. It's the same day the Titanic sunk, the bosting bombings happened, tiananmen square protest/massacre started, Hillsborough disaster happened, a day after Lincoln's death and now this.

April is just a terrible month in general tbh. 20th anniversary of Columbine in a few days. 12th anniversary of the Virginia Tech massacre too.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm not entirely sure, but is the damage fixable? I know it's still "not the same" if new material is put up to fix it (especially the spire) but how bad did the damage get? 

The whole structure sustaining the roof was made of wood, 800yo wood.

It was called the forrest.

We lost 3 historic and amazing vitraux (don't know the english word).

The main structure of the Church is said to be intact.

We can rebuild I think, this Church is probably one of the most studied and documented in the world but it s gonna take time.

It s the most visited european historical landmark, 13-14 million visitors a year.

• Like 2

At least one fire-fighter is seriously injured acc Reuters

Fire started during mess.

What I meant with probably not simple moveable fast are separation furnitures like this (they are huge as well)

Paris_Notre-Dame_Choir_Screen_North_01.J

additinal organ and ~ special seating walls

1024px-Cathedrale_Notre-Dame_de_Paris_st

What is probably damaged or gone is the main organ, she grew to over 8000 pipes

Orgue_Notre-Dame_de_Paris.jpg

Found a picture that shows all at once what I tried to convey : the church has more than one level, the ground floor is not only huge but has several areas that are pretty separated beside the centre position, that allows the view into all big parts.

There are also higher areas. The red marks show what burned down and fell to the ground

MORE: Macron says he will launch an international fundraising campaign for Notre-Dame cathedral

D4OZxAxW4AAkn4q.jpg

Problem was also some alloys acc threads, that are not extinguishable with water