Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Lol are you a member? I lurk over there from time to time. The place is a MESS and a half but it's very updated with numbers and stuff.

Yeah lol I am. Been there for a couple of years. But the site is the pits now. You get warned for absolutely nothing and the servers are garbage - constantly giving out errors. Thank god for BOT

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Yeah lol I am. Been there for a couple of years. But the site is the pits now. You get warned for absolutely nothing and the servers are garbage - constantly giving out errors. Thank god for BOT

I never understood how to become a member in the first place but yeah seems like I won't need it especially now.

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Am I reading this wrong or Divergent is considered the second best book of the decade based on the votes of almost 2,5 million users?

The ranking seem to be by "score" a metric that seem to multiply the numbers of voters, not by the average score itself. Pushing popular title to the top.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

First Reformed is good as hell for the most part, but man, between this, The Florida Project and Hereditary, what is it with A24 releases and throw-you-the-fuck-off endings recently. 

The ending of First Reformed bugged the hell out of me. It didn't leave me thinking about any of the movie's themes; I just thought "uh, ok" for the entire ending. It's weird and probably the main reason I'm not enthusiastic about the film. (Go ahead and Not Cool me, Coolio. I'm waiting.)

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, dX airdry zid said:

it is weird.  why make them so long when they are just art?  Is the art trying to teach something or is it just there to burn out?  slow cooked art boiling in a pot and misinterpreted from life  to make the most money as possible?

Bad Futurist imitation right here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dX airdry zid said:

huge drawn out confusing movies with abrupt endings.  what was the artist going for ? 

makes the movies feel bad themselves.  especially when trying to examine some of them.

None of those movies I named are confusing or bad. I found them all enjoyable and rewarding on the whole.

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Thanks for clarifying. Still seems impressive though.

it is, but a logical one for the 2010s it was really a giant sellers specially on digital platform that I imagine are more likely to rate the book online, it now look like this:

The sequels sold 445k copy it's first of sales, very similar to the number of tickets the first movie sold for it's Thursday previews ($4.9MM previews).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2013/10/31/book-buzz/3324793/

The Fault in Our Stars

by 

4.24 avg rating — 2,858,604 ratings

Divergent (Divergent, #1)

by 

4.22 avg rating — 2,477,394 ratings

Mockingjay (The Hunger Game...

by 
 4.03 avg rating — 2,001,835 ratings

Gone Girl

by 

4.05 avg rating — 1,834,430 ratings

The Martian

by 

4.40 avg rating — 619,227 ratings

All movies with impressive weekend, one surprise is Girl on a Train at a rather low #22, despite a giant 1.552m ratings, much bigger than everything else out of the top 4.

It also show some possible weakness versus some pass golden era of 2000-2010 for franchise book popularity ?, that score of 140k would have kept it out of the top 20 in the past decade, with all of the Potters release in that era, first 2 HG, Twilight, The Help, Dragon Tattoo, Da Vinci Code, Kite Runners, etc... above 200k, even above 400k for some of those.

The Games of Thrones classment are a bit of a let done, but could be the sample size of the type of people hanging out on a website like that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1