Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

There isn't honestly. Just a vocal minority on both sides that makes all that noise every time.

Yeah its people that infer the most outlandish and extreme interpretations of such things.

Issue is media picks up to drive up clickbait. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I wasn't aware there was any controversy aside from the usual MRA crowd. 

Pretty much. I just watched the commercial and see no issue with it. Only people really taking issue with it are the same people who would see On the Basis of Sex just to complain that it demonizes all the white male characters except for RBG’s client and caring husband even though those were the attitudes of the time.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much. I just watched the commercial and see no issue with it. Only people really taking issue with it are the same people who would see On the Basis of Sex just to complain that it demonizes all the white male characters except for RBG’s client and caring husband even though those were the attitudes of the time.

You see the issue is most people will not see the ad normally but will check it out through a filter bubble of their respective social media that links them to it.

I finally binge watched the second season of True Detective, and what the hell was that? The first season was so well crafted and unique. This didn't feel like it was the same show. Not only because it was a whole new story, and had also a different tone, but also a whole different quality. Vince Vaughn was terrible in it and all of his scenes with Colin Farrell were awful. Kelly Reilly who I love seemed like she was in a soap opera or something. There were great moments still but shockingly disappointing, I guess critics weren't over reacting. And I can't believe this season came out 3 and a half years ago. Jesus Christ time is flying. How the hell was I was holding it for this long. I swear I thought this came out in 2017.  And now I just realise Justice League came out in 2017 and we're already in 2019. Can time just slow down? What's going on...

Edit: also the investigation was really hard to follow, at one point I didn't know who was who, I can't even know how yall managed to understand what was what watching it one episode a week

Edited by Napoleon

Funny, I just got done watching the first two episodes of the new True Detective season. It’s definitely interesting so far, even though a lot of it feels repetitive of the first season. You can tell Pizzolatto took the criticisms of the second season to heart and decided to go back to what everyone liked the first time around. On board with where it’s headed though, and Mahershala Ali is basically God. I’ll just pretend his Green Book Oscar is really for this.

Man, The Upside really bombed in Quebec. 59k opening which (from my limited study of previous numbers) translates to barely over the equivalent of 5M. It's barely over 1/3 of Dog's Way Home's 151k opening. 

Either the 20M domestic opening was powered by Kevin Hart fans (whose movies don't tend to do well in Quebec) or its a complete rejection of a Hollywood remake of a French classic. 

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Man, The Upside really bombed in Quebec. 59k opening which (from my limited study of previous numbers) translates to barely over the equivalent of 5M. It's barely over 1/3 of Dog's Way Home's 151k opening. 

Either the 20M domestic opening was powered by Kevin Hart fans (whose movies don't tend to do well in Quebec) or its a complete rejection of a Hollywood remake of a French classic. 

Canada proving it's wokeness.

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think Kevin Hart draw in the US market leave little doubt, easy to imagine that movie failing in all markets were he is not relevant even if they have not seen the original, considering Québec saw the original quite a bit (we even had a remake of it in theater already) probably does not help the situation.

This has really overperformed considering the product/studio/marketing made, Hart is really a big big draw in some place.

• Like 1

Just saw how poor the reviews are for this new Don Cheadle/Andrew Rannells/Regina Hall Showtime series about the ‘87 stock market crash which is too bad since I was rooting for it just for the cast (in particular Hall, who has been on a nice run recently). Cheadle and Showtime are a cursed combo I suppose: House of Lies was also terrible even though it was on for so many years despite nobody watching or liking it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Just saw how poor the reviews are for this new Don Cheadle/Andrew Rannells/Regina Hall Showtime series about the ‘87 stock market crash which is too bad since I was rooting for it just for the cast (in particular Hall, who has been on a nice run recently). Cheadle and Showtime are a cursed combo I suppose: House of Lies was also terrible even though it was on for so many years despite nobody watching or liking it.

I saw the trailer for that and just thought, why?  I think I lasted 3 or 4 episodes of House Lies.