Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

lmao, 2019 is off to a good start.

For those who aren’t aware, the teachers for the Los Angeles Unified School District are on strike. From the LA Times:

When The Times asked parents to name the movies that their students had watched, one said that her eighth-grader and classmates had been shown the unrated Korean zombie apocalypse movie “Train to Busan.”

And what about this epic dad?

“We won’t be sending her back to school during the strike, because it’s detrimental to her education,” said Joe Utsler of Valley Village, after his 15-year-old came  home from Van Nuys High and said  she’d been stuck in an overcrowded gym, where she watched the movie “Lincoln.”

And not even the good one with the vampire hunting,” her father said. “I assume it was chosen because it’s theoretically historical.”

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, CJohn said:

I think TVI expected a repeat of what happened with Júlia Pinheiro a few years ago. She bombed off the gate against a revamped Você na TV too after what was at the time the most buzzed transfer in Portuguese television ever. Maybe nobody realized at the time, but in retrospect that was the day Cristina proved she was the QUEEN. And yeah, I can see O Programa da Cristina staying at 35%+ share, the QUEEN will find a way the keep it at those levels. Você na TV hit an embarassing new low yesterday at just 17% share.

Cristina is so strong she actually gives back the leadership to TVI with a taped show ages ago. She is the biggest name of all time. When the taped Apanha Se Puderes shows end, I wonder what will happen and if TVI can sink even lower.

TVI just thought they would keep leading as always. They got lazy. They thought people would stay with Manuel. Honestly, looking right now, whoever they put in mornings is bound to mega bomb if the dude that was pulling 30-35% share just a month ago completely alone ain't even reaching 20% share now. This is the beginning of a revolution in Portuguese TV. Lets not forget Dancing With The Stars was TANKING against Casados À Primeira Vista. The format is not strong and Lyp Sinc Battle might take over if people are curious after reading about it over the week.

But it wouldn't take a genius to see that Cristina's popularity dwarfs Júlia's, as it's not just the typical granny audience of morning shows that loves her.... she has a Goddamn million followers on Instagram or something like that, she's a true four quadrant megastar. Her interview on Jornal da Noite before the premiere of Alma e Coração hit like 40%+ share as well, and she has been relentless in advertising her new show (and not like Júlia, who promoted her show in an aggressive but pretty awkward way). But again, I don't think anyone expected Cristina's show to stay at this level nearly 2 weeks after it started, or Você na TV to be a total bomb against the competition. Unbelievable.

Apanha Se Puderes will probably continue, they'll shoot a new version with Leonor Poeiras in all likelihood; but TVI will be so stupid that they will think the show itself sells well, and not just Cristina :rofl:  It's a great format and a very entertaining show, but once the Cristina version is done, people won't care anymore. Especially now that SIC is revamping the 6PM timeslot and will likely start premiering unaired Globo soap operas there, given the success of the Gabriela and Avenida Brasil re-runs.

Dude, TVI and laziness go together like peanut butter and jelly, it's hilarious :rofl:  Like, how the hell have they not fixed their early afternoon programming yet? Catastrophic failure in that end. And I actually think that Goucha on his own would be doing slightly better, and to his credit, he can say that the Secret Story season he hosted was the most successful one in a while, so I do think that he does have a draw appeal to him as well. But as far as this battle goes, it really doesn't matter who would've fought Cristina: the show would've been a bomb anyway. This is madness, shall I say, and I'm so curious to see where it goes from here on.

As for Dancing With The Stars, I'm not sure about that. It actually beat Lip Sync Battle in its premiere, despite Lip Sync having literally every circumstance in its favor. Reason why is because Lip Sync got horrible word of mouth from the audience. Raul Meireles' performance made waves, but otherwise, wom was piss poor, and I'm not surprised, cause the show was pretty boring and the format is even weaker than Dancing's. If Daniel Oliveira makes drastic changes to the format, maybe it can still be competitive and lead a couple of times, but otherwise, DWTS will lead, and SIC won't take Sunday nights back until Cristina's new show (The Farmer Wants A Wife, or something like that), which is going to be in the same vein as Married At First Sight/Casados à Primeira Vista... and it will likely hit 50% share or something like that :ohmygod:  Unless it's not that good, like Driven To Love/Carro do Amor. Then it will only do 45% :ph34r:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 2:02 AM, Telemachos said:

Sorry for the late reply, @Telemachos

I think I've heard about it before but didn't really pay attention to it. Why?

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But it wouldn't take a genius to see that Cristina's popularity dwarfs Júlia's, as it's not just the typical granny audience of morning shows that loves her.... she has a Goddamn million followers on Instagram or something like that, she's a true four quadrant megastar. Her interview on Jornal da Noite before the premiere of Alma e Coração hit like 40%+ share as well, and she has been relentless in advertising her new show (and not like Júlia, who promoted her show in an aggressive but pretty awkward way). But again, I don't think anyone expected Cristina's show to stay at this level nearly 2 weeks after it started, or Você na TV to be a total bomb against the competition. Unbelievable.

Apanha Se Puderes will probably continue, they'll shoot a new version with Leonor Poeiras in all likelihood; but TVI will be so stupid that they will think the show itself sells well, and not just Cristina :rofl:  It's a great format and a very entertaining show, but once the Cristina version is done, people won't care anymore. Especially now that SIC is revamping the 6PM timeslot and will likely start premiering unaired Globo soap operas there, given the success of the Gabriela and Avenida Brasil re-runs.

Dude, TVI and laziness go together like peanut butter and jelly, it's hilarious :rofl:  Like, how the hell have they not fixed their early afternoon programming yet? Catastrophic failure in that end. And I actually think that Goucha on his own would be doing slightly better, and to his credit, he can say that the Secret Story season he hosted was the most successful one in a while, so I do think that he does have a draw appeal to him as well. But as far as this battle goes, it really doesn't matter who would've fought Cristina: the show would've been a bomb anyway. This is madness, shall I say, and I'm so curious to see where it goes from here on.

As for Dancing With The Stars, I'm not sure about that. It actually beat Lip Sync Battle in its premiere, despite Lip Sync having literally every circumstance in its favor. Reason why is because Lip Sync got horrible word of mouth from the audience. Raul Meireles' performance made waves, but otherwise, wom was piss poor, and I'm not surprised, cause the show was pretty boring and the format is even weaker than Dancing's. If Daniel Oliveira makes drastic changes to the format, maybe it can still be competitive and lead a couple of times, but otherwise, DWTS will lead, and SIC won't take Sunday nights back until Cristina's new show (The Farmer Wants A Wife, or something like that), which is going to be in the same vein as Married At First Sight/Casados à Primeira Vista... and it will likely hit 50% share or something like that :ohmygod:  Unless it's not that good, like Driven To Love/Carro do Amor. Then it will only do 45% :ph34r:

Apanha Se Puderes will bomb with Leonor Poeiras or Isabel Silva. The format will sink as soon as the episodes Cristina filmed end. Cristina is the biggest portuguese name ever. The domination against Você na TV is the most shocking thing I have ever witnessed ratings wise. TVI never faced any competition that is why they got lazy. When you win 149 months in a row you are bound to at some point stop giving a fuck because you feel you could air a guy looking at paint dry and still win.

Yeah, I guess you are right about Goucha and Secret Story, he gave the ratings a big bump on the season he hosted but if they do another with him as the host (and they will) I think the ratings will sink to the same level of Teresa Guilherme's final season.

Cristina is gonna be the host of The Farmer Wants a Wife? Sweet Jesus. That is gonna explode like the first season of Secret Story then. Whatever TVI airs on that night will sink brutally unless Ljubomir comes back from his cave and unleashes hell on a random restaurant. I think that is the only thing that can be legit competition that TVI has. The problem is that Ljubomir works on his own schedule.

• Like 1

Well, my job's been going great, but it can be difficult. Just yesterday I had to put away and sort unfinished clean dishes. All of that precise examination can do a number on your brain, especially when you have to sort the big cups from the small one, and the only difference is that one size is bluer then the other. That said, it's also good to actually have some legit work to do. 

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I just thought it was interesting (and cool) that they were doing a series based specifically on Philippine myth.

I agree. I think that any series based off a country's particular myths and folklore can be quite interesting, especially the stuff that hasn't been examined in great detail yet. Reading that article about that Netflix Philippine based mythology series, actually made me want to go and research that topic further, so it looks like it already did its job. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I just thought it was interesting (and cool) that they were doing a series based specifically on Philippine myth.

Great to know! Our mythology is definitely underrated (just like most Asian mythologies). I just hope it doesn't get too "westernized."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Apanha Se Puderes will bomb with Leonor Poeiras or Isabel Silva. The format will sink as soon as the episodes Cristina filmed end. Cristina is the biggest portuguese name ever. The domination against Você na TV is the most shocking thing I have ever witnessed ratings wise. TVI never faced any competition that is why they got lazy. When you win 149 months in a row you are bound to at some point stop giving a fuck because you feel you could air a guy looking at paint dry and still win.

Yeah, I guess you are right about Goucha and Secret Story, he gave the ratings a big bump on the season he hosted but if they do another with him as the host (and they will) I think the ratings will sink to the same level of Teresa Guilherme's final season.

Cristina is gonna be the host of The Farmer Wants a Wife? Sweet Jesus. That is gonna explode like the first season of Secret Story then. Whatever TVI airs on that night will sink brutally unless Ljubomir comes back from his cave and unleashes hell on a random restaurant. I think that is the only thing that can be legit competition that TVI has. The problem is that Ljubomir works on his own schedule.

Well, Cristina did fall below 35% on Wednesday, she only hit 34% :P

But then again, it was Wednesday, so of course that would happen. Let's see what happens with the result from today's show, since it had Júlia there and was a big party at Cristina's house. If it touches the 40's again....... Goddamn.

Você na TV is one of, if not the biggest reason why TVI got lazy for 149 months. When you had something so ridiculously overpowered boosting your entire daytime and the competition is mere goose in comparision, of course you'll have a freebie to win day after day on end. SIC did make things competitive during the Dancin' Days era, but even their absolutely brutal prime time wasn't enough to stop TVI. So to say that seeing it flop like this is absolutely baffling.... is kind of a total understatement :rofl:  It barely cracked 20% share on Wednesday. And that is considered a small step FORWARD :rofl:

Agreed on Goucha and Secret Story. Tbh, I'm not sure if they'll even pull the Secret Story card this year or anytime soon, cause they know that the show will drop immensely from that previous season's results. DWTS has Rita Pereira's beautiful cleavage and it barely makes 10-12% rating, why would something that would already feel tired (SS with Goucha again) go that much higher? If anything, they'll go full desperation and give Big Brother another crack. Or they'll think "nah, Big Brother is just more of the same" (and it is), and they'll bring back Survivor or Perdidos na Tribo instead........ only to then remember how massive of a flop that 50 Hours show was not that long ago :rofl:   Now I remember that they're gonna attempt that Contentor show about naked people in the streets, but I'm not sure if that does much better than Love On Flop.

Pretty sure I have read that it will be Cristina helming it, yeah. I thought that they were keeping the Cristina on prime time trump card for later, but I guess they wanna cash in on the hot iron right now and I don't blame them, especially if Lip Sync Battle doesn't take off. Remember how HUGE The Biggest Loser was back in 2011 with Júlia hosting? Prepare for something even bigger with Cristina's new show :ohmygod:  Kitchen Nightmares is undoubtedly the only thing that TVI could feasibly put in front of it and not get embarassed. And since Ljubo does whatever the fuck he wants, I don't think that's happening unless they pay him €500K or something like that, he's like the Brock Lesnar of Portuguese TV :rofl:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, Cristina did fall below 35% on Wednesday, she only hit 34% :P

But then again, it was Wednesday, so of course that would happen. Let's see what happens with the result from today's show, since it had Júlia there and was a big party at Cristina's house. If it touches the 40's again....... Goddamn.

Você na TV is one of, if not the biggest reason why TVI got lazy for 149 months. When you had something so ridiculously overpowered boosting your entire daytime and the competition is mere goose in comparision, of course you'll have a freebie to win day after day on end. SIC did make things competitive during the Dancin' Days era, but even their absolutely brutal prime time wasn't enough to stop TVI. So to say that seeing it flop like this is absolutely baffling.... is kind of a total understatement :rofl:  It barely cracked 20% share on Wednesday. And that is considered a small step FORWARD :rofl:

Agreed on Goucha and Secret Story. Tbh, I'm not sure if they'll even pull the Secret Story card this year or anytime soon, cause they know that the show will drop immensely from that previous season's results. DWTS has Rita Pereira's beautiful cleavage and it barely makes 10-12% rating, why would something that would already feel tired (SS with Goucha again) go that much higher? If anything, they'll go full desperation and give Big Brother another crack. Or they'll think "nah, Big Brother is just more of the same" (and it is), and they'll bring back Survivor or Perdidos na Tribo instead........ only to then remember how massive of a flop that 50 Hours show was not that long ago :rofl:   Now I remember that they're gonna attempt that Contentor show about naked people in the streets, but I'm not sure if that does much better than Love On Flop.

Pretty sure I have read that it will be Cristina helming it, yeah. I thought that they were keeping the Cristina on prime time trump card for later, but I guess they wanna cash in on the hot iron right now and I don't blame them, especially if Lip Sync Battle doesn't take off. Remember how HUGE The Biggest Loser was back in 2011 with Júlia hosting? Prepare for something even bigger with Cristina's new show :ohmygod:  Kitchen Nightmares is undoubtedly the only thing that TVI could feasibly put in front of it and not get embarassed. And since Ljubo does whatever the fuck he wants, I don't think that's happening unless they pay him €500K or something like that, he's like the Brock Lesnar of Portuguese TV :rofl:

giphy.gif