Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

10 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Why did I look into why Chelsea Clinton is trending?

People are nuts. Accosting a pregnant woman for something she literally had nothing to do with in any way. 

Because a certain political side that I'm a part of loves to ouroboros itself rather then come together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

just looked up this mike cernovich guy. one of the few times you can tell the person who wrote his wikipedia article clearly hates him.

He's married and has a kid with someone that shouldn't align with his purported politics.

• Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Thankfully Reddit is on top of things. 

Is this meant to be sarcastic? The death subreddits have done nothing and they even banned people who tried to post the videos. Reddit has always wanted those subreddits to be suspended because it makes their site less appealing to advertisers and investors. I have spent some time on the watchpeopledie subreddit and most people on there are pretty respectful and don't glorify any of the deaths. If anything, most people are usually shocked and terrified and learn to be more safe. 

R/the_donald has been the one glorifying this incident and praising the shooter. They are even agreeing with the racist senator's islamaphobic statement. But that subreddit isn't banned because it brings a lot of traffic to the site. Reddit's bullshit double standard is pretty clear here.

More on r/t_d and their horrible reaction to this attack: 

Edit - can't delete embedded link but here is the normal link: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/b1g9sa/dont_do_it_dont_share_the_christchurch_footage/eilln1z

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

lmao what the fuck

So? Going on to that subreddit doesn't make me someone who wants to watch people die for fun. That isn't even the problem here. R/watchpeopledie has never glorified violence or death. R/the_donald just did. If you want to know how watchpeopledie affected people, here are some people talking about what they learned:

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/b1ksic/reddit_bans_rwatchpeopledie_in_the_wake_of_the/eimivus

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/b1ksic/reddit_bans_rwatchpeopledie_in_the_wake_of_the/ein04u5

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/b1ksic/reddit_bans_rwatchpeopledie_in_the_wake_of_the/ein56cd

There are a few more on the same thread.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 3

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

R/watchpeopledie has never glorified violence or death.

It's literally a place called WATCH PEOPLE DIE.  The fact that there's a significant group of people that post videos of real people dying on a place as public as Reddit is sickening.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's literally a place called WATCH PEOPLE DIE.  The fact that there's a significant group of people that post videos of real people dying on a place as public as Reddit is sickening.

But has the sub ever glorified violence? No. Any comment or post glorifying violence is against the rules of the sub and gets deleted. Instead of making ignorant statements based on nothing but the name of the subreddit, try doing some research and read on what the sub was about and what it meant to people. I bet you haven't even read the links I posted earlier. 

What is sickening is r/the_donald actually applauding the shooter and promoting violence against Muslims and hasn't been banned yet. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 3

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I mean, even putting this aside, who wants autoplaying-videos? I can’t think of a single context why it’d be beneficial to a user. On the other hand, it’s quite easy to see why sites would want it, since they can claim thousands or millions or views and charge advertisers accordingly. 

Just another area where tech is completely fucked. 

I fucking hate autoplaying-videos. If I go to a site and a video starts playing, I add it to a list of websites I only visit when I absolutely have to. It's literally discouraging me from visiting your site so just stop autoplaying.

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

This is the smartest thing I've read on the internet today...

I HATE all auto-play videos and keep my computer on mute for that reason (until I want volume and manually turn it on), so at least I can ignore any auto-play things til I can x them out...

What's worse is it has ZERO consideration for people (like me) who don't have unlimited data on our phones. Videos take up a lot of data if I let it load completely.

4 hours ago, Nova said:

Smartest decision you’ve made. I’ve actually considered deactivating my social media accounts because of this. I turned off auto play on Twitter and STILL encountered that video because news channels were broadcasting it which just makes me believe it’s going to be unavoidable unless I actively avoid it. 

I only have social media sites to keep up with movie news/news in general when I’m on the go but I’ve come to realize I can just visit this site or sites in general to get my news, which is what we all used to do anyways before social media burst the way it did. 

Luckily so far I've been able to avoid any video of the shooting. 

• Like 5