Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Or what's with The Wire?

All 3 examples given happen to be on my top 8 favourite TV series (series I love, there are no more titles on that list, all the others are series I like), exactly for that reason.

I guessed at first him being either very young or very ignorant or very badly 'educated' in his profession's contributing parts. Looking him up I can say, #1 is not the reason, he is old enough to have seen Wiseguy in its first run starting as an 16y old

I think American make a distinction between Cable and TV in language, he could be talking on American over the air TV, excluding HBO and stuff like that.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I think American make a distinction between Cable and TV in language, he could be talking on American over the air TV, excluding HBO and stuff like that.

Someone told me e.g. Wiseguy got aired so often anybody of a certian age must have seen it.

Like on air for many repeats on many stations over years constantly.

Beside that: I do not care, its sloppy on his side at best. 😉

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Someone told me e.g. Wiseguy got aired so often anybody of a certian age must have seen it.

That was TV right from the start (CBS), but wikipedia give him a bit reason: 

A cycle of episodes would focus on a particular story and the story would conclude in the final episode of the cycle, which gave rise to the term story arc. Some cycles were short while others were extended, but each new story had a specific set of central characters exclusive to it who would appear over the course of multiple episodes.

Wiseguy starting a subset of a full season long arc, but not committing fully to it (doing it over a subset of episode, not the full length of a season).

Edited by Barnack

35 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

@Telemachos maybe somehow interesting for you? I forgot who else is in the biz and might be interested, if not already known

https://deadline.com/2019/03/david-simon-writers-agents-packaging-fight-wga-ata-commentary-1202578152/

Thanks, yes, I did see this. David Simon is a hell of a writer, especially with his profane epithets. :lol: Hopefully the WGA can push the agencies back into doing their jobs, instead of being quasi-producers without their clients’ best interests at heart. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Damn, never realized how good of a director Peter Weir is. His work on Truman Show is phenomenal, and I never realized he'd been nominated for best director something like 4 times I think (at least 3). Wonder why he pretty much disappeared after Master and Commander (other than Way Back I guess). 

Weir is one of the best there is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Have you seen the interview into which he explained that when he did Mast and Commander, he did it under the signed the condition that he would accept to receive written studio feedback but would not give any answer to said feedback (said what he thought of their idea, if he would act on it, etc..).

That was a $210M movie in today money....

Tom Rothman was CEO of FOX and a huge fan of the books. He was the one who spent a lot of time convincing Weir to do the project, and gave him the budget to do what he needed. It wasn’t a case of director versus studio exec. Both were on the same page.

It just didn’t make (quite) enough money to warrant a sequel, unfortunately. And it also had the bad luck to run into the ROTK buzzsaw, otherwise it would’ve probably have been the genteel award-friendly epic that year. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Wiseguy starting a subset of a full season long arc, but not committing fully to it (doing it over a subset of episode, not the full length of a season).

Hence why I bothered to explain / remind about to the differences in episode amount per season, and ~ why I think it should get the same treatment.

Roughly 10 episodes per case see The Wire, run time 59 minutes, and Wiseguy, run time 60 minutes vs 13 episodes of Mad Men, run time 47 minutes.

To me ~ the same depth/complexity possibilities, ~  the same amount of minutes per case.

In theory you can cut down a season even more to even less episodes and than claim this and that #1 status, but it wouldn't count for me.

And again, Wiseguy wasn't even the first to do so, but probably the first to do so in a not-comedy genre in the US.