Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Need an English shooling.

If somebody tries to block someone's access to something, the British idiom seems to be:

to take the bread out of somebodies mouth

alternative I found

to cut the ground from under sombodies feet

with no mentioning where this one is used

But what is the idiom (or correct formulation, if there is no idiom), if too many compete with each other, to undermine each other in a way?

In case someone wants to help, please add also the region/country the wording is used in, so I learn it right from the beginneng :)

Don't know the idiom but it is called social undermining. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Premium George said:

Don't know the idiom but it is called social undermining. 

Thank you a lot

Does it count also for when cmpanies undermine each other? Social I thought is more abot population than economical .. companies?

Just looked at what Fox has set for the rest of the year along with Disney.

March 29: Dumbo (Disney)

April 17: Breakthrough (Fox), Penguins (Disney)

April 26: Avengers: Endgame (Disney)

May 24: Ad Astra (Fox), Aladdin (Disney)

June 7: Dark Phoenix (Fox)

June 21: Toy Story 4 (Disney)

July 12: Stuber (Fox)

July 19: The Lion King (Disney)

August 2: New Mutants (Fox)

August 9: Artemis Fowl (Disney)

September 13: Spies in Disguise (Fox)

September 27: The Art of Racing in the Rain (Fox)

October 4: The Woman in the Window (Fox)

October 18: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (Disney)

November 15: Ford v Ferrari (Fox)

November 22: Frozen II (Disney)

December 20: Star Wars 9 (Disney)

December 25: Call of the Wild (Fox)

That actually seems like a well-balanced release schedule ignoring Ad Astra or New Mutants which obviously aren't sticking with those dates.

Variety mentioned this week that Ad Astra is expected at Cannes so they could stick with that date if they wanted to. Tho I think it'd be better for it to get pushed back to a quieter spot, it'd get lost with Pikachu, Aladdin, Godzilla and Wick making big money all around it. Even in summer dates like June 21 or August 23 look like far better options.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Variety mentioned this week that Ad Astra is expected at Cannes so they could stick with that date if they wanted to. Tho I think it'd be better for it to get pushed back to a quieter spot, it'd get lost with Pikachu, Aladdin, Godzilla and Wick making big money all around it. Even in summer dates like June 21 or August 23 look like far better options.

Deadline said the opposite and that it isn’t finished and won’t be ready for Cannes

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

They should go for the fall after Once Upon a Time in Hollywood opens in hopes of riding on its coattails.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, LexJoker said:

Fox Layoffs Begin Following Disney Merger, 4,000 Jobs Expected to Be Cut

https://in.ign.com/movie/133415/news/fox-layoffs-begin-following-disney-merger-4000-jobs-expected

I hope all the people who rooted for Disney buying FOX just so they can get back the X-Men are happy 4,000 people lost their jobs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Deadline said the opposite and that it isn’t finished and won’t be ready for Cannes

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I hope all the people who rooted for Disney buying FOX just so they can get back the X-Men are happy 4,000 people lost their jobs.

220px-Karl_Marx_001.jpg

That s called capitalism and here s the only cure.

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I can't wait to start calling movies "Disney's."

On a serious note, the upcoming Streaming Wars are going to suck for consumers.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

220px-Karl_Marx_001.jpg

That s called capitalism and here s the only cure.

Well no, this :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/19/new-zealand-merger-print-media-companies-blocked-high-court

https://www.stanfordlawreview.org/online/has-the-obama-justice-department-reinvigorated-antitrust-enforcement/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted_purchase_of_T-Mobile_USA_by_AT%26T#Regulatory_review_and_Antitrust_concerns_(DOJ_&_FCC)

Would have done it.

It is extremely common for capitalist society to block acquisition or merger, specially from foreign company but also local.

Do you remember European commission made Microsoft remove Internet explorer from windows ?

I imagine you are just trolling like always.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Great little heist film, that doesn't get nearly enough love. It's super stylish, and manages to successfully tackle a wide variety of tones.  Eastwood and Bridges are terrific, and have great chemistry together, as two loners, who form an impeccable relationship. 

• Like 1