Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

The writer for Pacific Rim 2 stated on Twitter that Homer’s Odyssey was a bad story that is only revered because we look fondly on old stories by white people. 

Is she telling the truth, do people consider it a bad story today? Or she is just talking shit? 

That bitch 

4 minutes ago, Tele Dondarrion said:

^^ I guess that’s her opinion? Doesn’t make it right or wrong beyond just her opinion. It does seem to be popular enough to have survived thousands of years at least. 

You call that an opinion, really ?

You perfectly  know what it is.

There's always conspiracy theories about world leaders trying to reduce world population by creating diseases, viruses and stuff. But isn't it better to have more people, and people living longer, because that's more people working, producing, and consuming? Don't powerful people make more money with more people on Earth? Are conspiracy theorists implying powerful people are worried about the environment? LMAO.

neighbours are doing some weird shit. they're standing around a big fire in their back garden. i figured it's cos it's easter and i know they're christians so maybe something with that but they've never gone full wicker man like this before. it's past midnight guys.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

The writer for Pacific Rim 2 stated on Twitter that Homer’s Odyssey was a bad story that is only revered because we look fondly on old stories by white people. 

Is she telling the truth, do people consider it a bad story today? Or she is just talking shit? 

Did she study something related to history, classic writing,.... in combination to ~ social studies? (rhetorical question).

Did she read it in the original version (mean did she study the language and has a real comprehension of it) or did she read some strange or good, actual or outdated,... translation, a summary or whatever?

Bcs to me it sounds like its a POV by someone who did not really look into the background and 'meaning' of the story, maybe she missed some.

Its one of the most adapted source materials of humankind. Here he counts as the first modern character, ~ 'he does not submit to even the gods nor fate, but takes active his life in his own hands'. Be able to give up the ~ given identity to keep his own identity.

I think a lot of its details get still used in modern films.

Edited by terrestrial
typos
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

There's always conspiracy theories about world leaders trying to reduce world population by creating diseases, viruses and stuff. But isn't it better to have more people, and people living longer, because that's more people working, producing, and consuming? Don't powerful people make more money with more people on Earth? Are conspiracy theorists implying powerful people are worried about the environment? LMAO.

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

neighbours are doing some weird shit. they're standing around a big fire in their back garden. i figured it's cos it's easter and i know they're christians so maybe something with that but they've never gone full wicker man like this before. it's past midnight guys.

Perfect back-to-back posts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I can't find this tweet (do you have a link?). If it's worded the way you describe, I think she's wrong about why it's revered by others. There's an enormous number of other "old stories by white people" that have been lost to history entirely, or have far less cultural awareness and impact. If I had to guess why, it'd be because they haven't been as well-regarded.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I can't find this tweet (do you have a link?). If it's worded the way you describe, I think she's wrong about why it's revered by others. There's an enormous number of other "old stories by white people" that have been lost to history entirely, or have far less cultural awareness and impact. If I had to guess why, it'd be because they haven't been as well-regarded.

I believe it was a retweet of another person’s tweet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Yes I consider Pacific Rim 2 to be a bad story

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3