Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its funny, because while i still ... kind of ... enjoy watching the show, i know its miles away from the Masterpieces that were Seasons 1-4. I know its stupid now, but i cant help myself, im still very much interested in it, no matter how mad some of it makes me.

A show with lesser production value would’ve been abandoned some time ago (if it wasn’t for the fact those Netflix Marvel shows looked cheap as all hell I imagine they’d still be around). The show is incredibly well made (coffee cups aside), it’s entertaining, it’s great to look at, and it can hold your attention. The criticism is still valid but until the phenomenon of GOT is topped I don’t think most viewers really care, I think it might fall apart upon rewatches but I don’t plan on doing that any time soon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AJG said:

A show with lesser production value would’ve been abandoned some time ago (if it wasn’t for the fact those Netflix Marvel shows looked cheap as all hell I imagine they’d still be around). The show is incredibly well made (coffee cups aside), it’s entertaining, it’s great to look at, and it can hold your attention. The criticism is still valid but until the phenomenon of GOT is topped I don’t think most viewers really care, I think it might fall apart upon rewatches but I don’t plan on doing that any time soon.

I'm really curious to see if those Disney+ shows are gonna be on the level of GoT in terms of production value or not. The closest thing on Netflix is Stranger Things, but even then the scope isn't anywhere near as big. They have The Witcher coming up, but the costumes already look like something out of party city. Most of HBO's (better) output is more dependent on writing/acting than just production values, so I wonder if they'll spend this much on any non-GoT/Westworld projects coming up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there will be no next got tv viewing audiences are becoming increasingly fragmented got came basically the latest possible time it could have.

I feel like those Marvel shows might, if they're really as important as Feige says they are

this idea of a next game of thrones reminds me of when every network tried to have the next LOST. didn't work out for them. i'm sure the witcher/lord of the rings will be more successful than the lost knock-offs but they're just not gonna hit GOT level.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'm really curious to see if those Disney+ shows are gonna be on the level of GoT in terms of production value or not. The closest thing on Netflix is Stranger Things, but even then the scope isn't anywhere near as big. They have The Witcher coming up, but the costumes already look like something out of party city. Most of HBO's (better) output is more dependent on writing/acting than just production values, so I wonder if they'll spend this much on any non-GoT/Westworld projects coming up.

Granted this is based off of blurry cellphone footage from the SWCC panel, but Mandalorian, from the brief footage that's available (not legally mind you :ph34r:) seems on par with the Disney Wars movies in terms of cinematography and production design (action and scale probably won't be as big as those movies ofc)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I feel like those Marvel shows might, if they're really as important as Feige says they are

aren't these limited series's though? i was under the assumption that most of them are one-and-dones. that's a whole different vibe.

Edited by CoolioD1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly whenever the show has an episode that people are like "that episode was incredible. that was revolutionary television" or an episode that has people saying "what a disaster, it made no sense, they've ruined every character" my reaction is usually about the same at a "yeah that was pretty good it was like a 7/10" to both episodes.

I’m like this. I feel as if most people are like this. Maybe it’s a British thing but unless something is extraordinary bad or good the worst and best reaction we give something is ‘meh, that was alright’.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

aren't these limited series's though? i was under the assumption that most of them are one-and-dones. that's a whole different vibe.

Mandalorian is apparently getting a season 2, and that was meant to be a limited series, so it's possible. Could see that being huge considering how big both Star Wars and Disney are right now (or it could be Solo 2.0)

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Granted this is based off of blurry cellphone footage from the SWCC panel, but Mandalorian, from the brief footage that's available (not legally mind you :ph34r:) seems on par with the Disney Wars movies in terms of cinematography and production design (action and scale probably won't be as big as those movies ofc)

Damn, it might be even better than GoT in terms of production values then. If that's the standard that Disney+ is gonna be operating at... I guess we know it's just gonna be a two man streaming war.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this idea of a next game of thrones reminds me of when every network tried to have the next LOST. didn't work out for them. i'm sure the witcher/lord of the rings will be more successful than the lost knock-offs but they're just not gonna hit GOT level.

It's a shame Lindelof's follow-up show The Leftovers never got as big as Lost. Especially since it's... a lot better.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

LOOOOOOOOOL Anybody remember FlashForward? The TV show where everyone on earth passed out for a minute and woke back up? It was possibly the most advertised TV show I’d ever seen at the time. I think it lasted one season.

• Like 1

Just now, carolwoodpr said:

This information makes me want to watch Mandalorian even more.  I don’t think it will be a Solo 2.  

It looks expensive, and they got some incredibly talented (and famous) directors to tackle the episodes, but something like this has never been done before. There weren't any blockbuster directors like Taika or the Favs doing episodes of GoT, and considering the scope is presumably smaller it might even look/feel more expensive than that show did.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there will be no next got tv viewing audiences are becoming increasingly fragmented got came basically the latest possible time it could have.

Or it will shift and audience distribution will have an hockey stick curve type of winners take all, with 1 or 2 Netflix/Youtube Tv Show having ridiculous rating.

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

Damn, it might be even better than GoT in terms of production values then. If that's the standard that Disney+ is gonna be operating at... I guess we know it's just gonna be a two man streaming war.

The budget's about $10M per episode, which IIRC is about what GOT costed in the later seasons. Disney's definitely pushing Mandalorian as the system seller

• Like 1