Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I just recently talked with a number of VFX artists from Method Studios and they told me the reason why a lot of CGI nowadays sticks out today is duh most of it is rushed. Because there's now way more visual effects shots for films than ever before and only a limited number of VFX artists to go around.

Not to mention it is an insanely competitive industry and it's difficult to find qualified artists to match the amount of work (not all VFX artists are equal) required to finish up big budget VFX films that come out every year. Stuff like scheduling restrictions means they have to submit shots for final before the artists working on them are happy with their work. Many times these artists told me they know the product they are delivering could be much much better, but there's a lack of time and manpower to do so. 

As was said before talent in VFX is similar to talent in most fields. It's limited. There aren't thousands of talented directors/artists - only a handful. With the amount of VFX needed in Hollywood nowadays combined with the constant drive by big studios for more and more, you can't hire a team of "fantastic workers" and call it a day. 

The drive to cut costs off practical effects (because profit > everything else) is starting to really wear on these guys. They told me many of them have burned out and there's even reports of suicides and depression among those who remain but nobody gives a shit because VFX artists get no visibility. 

Seems IMO we need to give artists more breathing room and better attention to their conditions and pay. But I doubt anything will come of this. 

Nobody can ever look at the gig of VFX work and think it's easy. To think that these people are living a Hell out of a job that almost anyone who likes movies would percieve as a cool job is truly saddening. Hopefully conditions improve and these hard working artists get the visibility and commendation they deserve. And it's not just them. Tons of other film-related works, like editors, screenwriters, sound designers, cinematographers, etc. also do not get the same attention as actors, directors and producers, and sometimes they are the ones who save good movies.

• Like 1

Hey to fellow Americans how does your Amber Alert System work?

Here in Canada the Amber Alert is sent out at the same level as a nuclear attack warning. 😕

I got one at 4:59AM and I got a huge anxiety attack.

(BTW the kid was found) 

Edited by Lordmandeep

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Hey to fellow Americans how does your Amber Alert System work?

Here in Canada the Amber Alert is sent out at the same level as a nuclear attack warning. 😕

I got one at 4:59AM and I got a huge anxiety attack.

(BTW the kid was found) 

Pretty much the same lol. Oftentimes the alerts are also all over the digital billboards at the same time. I remember while watching I think it was the Emmys about two or three years back where they cut off the feed from the show momentarily to broadcast an emergency alert about a local child abduction (who was found safe, thank god).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much the same lol. Oftentimes the alerts are also all over the digital billboards at the same time. I remember while watching I think it was the Emmys about two or three years back where they cut off the feed from the show momentarily to broadcast an emergency alert about a local child abduction (who was found safe, thank god).

That is okay but here the cellphones start blasting the emergency alert sounds as well which I dont think happens elsewhere.

I wonder if that is needed because I know a lot of people have started turning off the alerts on their phone which I think defeats the purpose :(

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

That is okay but here the cellphones start blasting the emergency alert sounds as well which I dont think happens elsewhere.

I wonder if that is needed because I know a lot of people have started turning off the alerts on their phone which I think defeats the purpose :(

Child kidnappings are as gravely serious as you get so yeah.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Child kidnappings are as gravely serious as you get so yeah.

Yeah its just lately in our local area we been getting them every 2-3 weeks at night time and they just end up being child custody disputes. 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah its just lately in our local area we been getting them every 2-3 weeks at night time and they just end up being child custody disputes. 

Sounds like you're getting more than Amber Alerts.

• Haha 1

Apparently Doom Patrol (original show from the DC Universe app) will be released internationally on the HBO Go streaming app. Could this be WB starting to hold content for their own Netflix rival? I don't see Netflix not being interested in buying its international rights considering they buy basically anything studios offer them.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Apparently Doom Patrol (original show from the DC Universe app) will be released internationally on the HBO Go streaming app. Could this be WB starting to hold content for their own Netflix rival? I don't see Netflix not being interested in buying its international rights considering they buy basically anything studios offer them.
They didn't buy Holmes and Watson. Also, Doom Patrol is lesser known brand than Titans. It didn't generate huge buzz also. Very niche imo.
  • Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Pretty sure it's because WB's streaming service (which DC Universe is expected to be folded into) will also be the home of HBO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure it's because WB's streaming service (which DC Universe is expected to be folded into) will also be the home of HBO.

Titans released on Netflix internationally. This probably means that it is probably being removed from Netflix in a few months and moved to HBO GO though.

Thought this would be interesting data to figure out: how would the current top 50 highest grossing films worldwide fare if they were ranked by the combined force of their actual gross + highest peak in the chart. Because a lot of people talk about how hitting a billion dollars is kinda banal nowadays, so I felt like doing this almost as a half-baked inflation parameter for worldwide grosses, to figure out how to billion or near billion hits from past decades compare to this decade's billion or near billion hitters. This is what it came down to:

1. Avatar - 2.788 billion + #1 peak
  2. Titanic - 2.187.5 billion + #1 peak
  3. Jurassic Park - 1.029.9 billion + #1 peak
  4. Avengers: Endgame - 2.489.6 billion + #2 peak
  5. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King - 1.120.2 billion + #2 peak
  6. Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace - 1.027 billion + #2 peak
  7. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone - 975.1 million + #2 peak
  8. The Lion King - 968.5 million + #2 peak
  9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 2.068.2 billion + #3 peak
  10. Jurassic World - 1.671.7 billion + #3 peak
  11. The Avengers - 1.518.8 billion + #3 peak
  12. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 1.341.7 billion + #3 peak
  13. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 1.066.2 billion + #3 peak
  14. Avengers: Infinity War - 2.048.4 billion + #4 peak
  15. Furious 7 - 1.516 billion + #4 peak
  16. Transformers: Dark Of The Moon - 1.123.8 billion + #4 peak
  17. Toy Story 3 - 1.067 billion + #4 peak
  18. The Dark Knight - 1.004.6 billion + #4 peak
  19. Avengers: Age Of Ultron - 1.405.4 billion + #5 peak
  20. Frozen - 1.290 billion + #5 peak
  21. Iron Man 3 - 1.214.8 billion + #5 peak
  22. Alice In Wonderland (2010 remake) - 1.025.5 billion + #5 peak
  23. Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 963.4 million + #5 peak
  24. Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - 1.045.7 billion + #6 peak
  25. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix - 940 million + #6 peak
  26. Skyfall - 1.108.6 billion + #7 peak
  27. The Dark Knight Rises - 1.084.9 billion + #7 peak
  28. Finding Nemo - 940.3 million + #8 peak
  29. Black Panther - 1.346.9 billion + #9 peak
  30. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 1.332.5 billion + #9 peak
  31. Beauty And The Beast (2017 remake) - 1.263.5 billion + #10 peak
  32. Minions - 1.159.4 billion + #10 peak
  33. Transformers: Age Of Extinction - 1.104.1 billion + #10 peak
  34. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 960.4 million + #10 peak
  35. The Fate Of The Furious - 1.238.8 billion + #11 peak
  36. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 1.309.5 billion + #12 peak
  37. Captain America: Civil War - 1.153.3 billion + #12 peak
  38. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 1.021.1 billion + #14 peak
  39. Incredibles 2 - 1.153.3 billion + #15 peak
  40. Despicable Me 2 - 970.8 million + #19 peak
  41. Aquaman - 1.147.8 billion + #20 peak
  42. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 1.056.1 billion - #20 peak
  43. Captain Marvel - 1.124,6 billion + #22 peak
  44. Finding Dory - 1.028.5 billion + #22 peak
  45. Despicable Me 3 - 1.034.8 billion + #24 peak
  46. Zootopia - 1.023.8 billion + #24 peak
  47. The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - 958.4 million + #24 peak
  48. The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies - 956 million + #26 peak
  49. The Jungle Book (2016 remake) - 966.6 million + #30 peak
  50. Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle - 962.1 million + #40 peak
  • Like 1

So there’s an official Apple TV app (literally all the “Apple” features of an Apple TV on my Samsung TV.

Did Apple just quietly make those Apple TV boxes obsolete overnight?

1 hour ago, AJG said:

So there’s an official Apple TV app (literally all the “Apple” features of an Apple TV on my Samsung TV.

Did Apple just quietly make those Apple TV boxes obsolete overnight?

Guess my Samsung tv is too old, I didn't get it. 

My Apple TV box is very old too but it still works great for every streaming service I use.