Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Malick's movies aren't all alike. Badlands is different from anything he's made in tone. Both it and Days of Heaven are short and more story-driven. Thin Red Line and The New World are genuine epics. Tree of Life and the subsequent three movies all work in their own significantly different mode. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Holy shit, my disabled roommate is fucking handful.

He wants me to help him get an Obamaphone, but he doesn't know what his email is, or that he has one. He has a facebook account though. He got me to message two of his relatives on his behalf. He told his aunt that i would take him to Braves and Falcons games, which I never said. He's neater than me though, so that's a point in his favor.

Just now, cannastop said:

He wants me to help him get an Obamaphone, but he doesn't know what his email is, or that he has one. He has a facebook account though. He got me to message two of his relatives on his behalf. He told his aunt that i would take him to Braves and Falcons games, which I never said. He's neater than me though, so that's a point in his favor.

So many people in this group home don't have phones. My roommate is using mine now.

y did woody allen write a movie where the majority of the main characters are millennials? who wants to bet nobody mentions any social media at any point? maybe a couple shots of some smart phones, but only to call people.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

y did woody allen write a movie where the majority of the main characters are millennials? who wants to bet nobody mentions any social media at any point? maybe a couple shots of some smart phones, but only to call people.

Woody Allen making A Rainy Day in New York:

Related image

Actually come to think of it, Clint Eastwood's like that too. Last couple of movies have been set when smartphones were either starting to become present (Sully, which takes place in early 2009) or had fully taken over (The 15:17 to Paris, summer 2015) and they're barely present at all in any of them. Ironically, both he and Allen are old man filmmakers who evidently could use the retirement cause they clearly don't have it in them to make great (or even good) movies anymore.

21 hours ago, cannastop said:

Uh, why?

My greatest fear is that Garfield will fall into the level of inactivity that Felix the Cat and Casper the Friendly Ghost have suffered.

There was The Garfield Show that concluded three years ago. Other than that, the comic strips are the only thing keeping the character alive.

1 minute ago, NoobSaibot said:

My greatest fear is that Garfield will fall into the level of inactivity that Felix the Cat and Casper the Friendly Ghost have suffered.

There was The Garfield Show that concluded three years ago. Other than that, the comic strips are the only thing keeping the character alive.

I guess that's something to be worried about. But aren't there literally days of Garfield material for you to watch?

43 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I guess that's something to be worried about. But aren't there literally days of Garfield material for you to watch?

I would say days of Garfield material to READ, not necessarily watch aside from the home media I've acquired since I was in kindergarten.

39 minutes ago, carolwoodpr said:

You know you are working to hard when you almost fall asleep during the first half of a movie.  Going on a Disney Cruise in 13 days so all the hard work will be worth it.  I really need a massage though.

Sounds like fun! Enjoy.

• Like 1

Was deciding if I wanted to watch anything on Netflix tonight and the first suggestion that came up was that Ansolo movie with our main man in a cameo dumped late last year. Can't decide if Netflix is able to take suggestions from what I watch on other platforms (I did watch Doom Patrol on YouTube yesterday...) or if it's @Alli putting a curse out there. Does Rebecca Ferguson have anything available on Netflix right now?

Perhaps it's the fact that I've had to move to an HBO Now subscription since the HBO/Dish tiff that started last November, but I've watched the most recent two Game of Thrones episodes a day after the fact because I looked at the episode run time (which includes the pre-show network preview and the post-show behind the scenes features, but still) and said "Ah hell no, not right now." I know it's totally irrational to balk at a listed 90-minute run time as a movie buff, but that's where I've been the last two weeks for whatever reason. That said, I'll probably make the time for the finale, even if I don't start it as soon as it becomes available at 6:00 local time. (And yes, moving back west two years ago was definitely a clutch move as far as these eastern time zone events are concerned. ;))

Moreover, we're hitting the 20-year anniversary of The Phantom Menace's release. I would have seen it over its opening weekend were it not for the late-'90s equivalent of fake news that led my grandmother - whom my family was visiting that weekend (which scored me a day off from 2nd grade) - to believe that literally every single Star Wars showing across the country was already sold out. Instead, my grandma, mother, sister, and I caught a showing of the only kid-friendly movie playing at the dollar theater on the other side of the mall... and that movie was the execrable animated remake of The King and I. :gold:

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Was deciding if I wanted to watch anything on Netflix tonight and the first suggestion that came up was that Ansolo movie with our main man in a cameo dumped late last year. Can't decide if Netflix is able to take suggestions from what I watch on other platforms (I did watch Doom Patrol on YouTube yesterday...) or if it's @Alli putting a curse out there. Does Rebecca Ferguson have anything available on Netflix right now?

I watched Florence Foster Jenkins a few weeks ago on Netflix. RF has a small role. Really enjoyed the movie

Edited by Alli

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Moreover, we're hitting the 20-year anniversary of The Phantom Menace's release. I would have seen it over its opening weekend were it not for the late-'90s equivalent of fake news that led my grandmother - whom my family was visiting that weekend (which scored me a day off from 2nd grade) - to believe that literally every single Star Wars showing across the country was already sold out. Instead, my grandma, mother, sister, and I caught a showing of the only kid-friendly movie playing at the dollar theater on the other side of the mall... and that movie was the execrable animated remake of The King and I. :gold:

Time flies. We're now 10 days away from Up's 10th anniversary too.