Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

So, today marked 10 years since one of my favorite theatrical viewing experiences: The Proposal.

Oh, it wasn't the movie itself - though that movie was a pleasant surprise that I've re-watched a couple times since then - but rather the circumstances. I saw it with a group of friends as part of my best friend's birthday festivities, and we couldn't see Revenge of the Fallen because it was already sold out all day (didn't break my heart - I saw it a few days earlier and hated it), so we settled on The Proposal because another girl in the group and I had both heard that it was supposed to be good. We barely got in, the place was packed, and we had no choice but to sit in one of the front rows... right in front of a group of middle school girls whose chatter throughout the entire movie was so weird that it ultimately transformed from annoying to subtly brilliant. They spent a good five minutes trying to remember the name of Meryl Streep's character from The Devil Wears Prada (in comparison with Sandra Bullock's character) before giving up, did a running commentary of every nitpicky quibble imaginable, and had an ongoing debate as to whether Sandra Bullock was pretty. But they saved the best for last... 

Spoiler

As Ryan Reynolds gives his pre-big kiss confession of true love, two of them started arguing over what was going to happen next.

Girl 1: "Is he really gonna kiss her?"

Girl 2: "Duh."

Girl 1: "No, I mean, like, really? What if he *doesn't* kiss her?

Girl 2: "KENDRA, YOU WHORE! OF COURSE HE'S GONNA KISS HER!"

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Webslinger said:

So, today marked 10 years since one of my favorite theatrical viewing experiences: The Proposal.

Oh, it wasn't the movie itself - though that movie was a pleasant surprise that I've re-watched a couple times since then - but rather the circumstances. I saw it with a group of friends as part of my best friend's birthday festivities, and we couldn't see Revenge of the Fallen because it was already sold out all day (didn't break my heart - I saw it a few days earlier and hated it), so we settled on The Proposal because another girl in the group and I had both heard that it was supposed to be good. We barely got in, the place was packed, and we had no choice but to sit in one of the front rows... right in front of a group of middle school girls whose chatter throughout the entire movie was so weird that it ultimately transformed from annoying to subtly brilliant. They spent a good five minutes trying to remember the name of Meryl Streep's character from The Devil Wears Prada (in comparison with Sandra Bullock's character) before giving up, did a running commentary of every nitpicky quibble imaginable, and had an ongoing debate as to whether Sandra Bullock was pretty. But they saved the best for last... 

Hide contents

As Ryan Reynolds gives his pre-big kiss confession of true love, two of them started arguing over what was going to happen next.

Girl 1: "Is he really gonna kiss her?"

Girl 2: "Duh."

Girl 1: "No, I mean, like, really? What if he *doesn't* kiss her?

Girl 2: "KENDRA, YOU WHORE! OF COURSE HE'S GONNA KISS HER!"

This scene:

still makes me laugh. Also the movie that kicked off that fun and surprising late Betty White renaissance that went on for a while.

Edited by filmlover

13 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

It’s tough to decide between Eurotrip and Ragnarok for the best Matt Damon cameo. 

Scotty Doesn't Know for sure. The tongue wag at the end seals it.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 3:05 AM, Slave Animal Rights said:

trying to get through the first 23 minutes of Searching (when i clicked pause it insta-23minned), but i can't take this movie seriously. 

It looks like a movie that is easy to overwrite and screw with.  I wouldn't pay for this.  It doesn't feel real.

that and BOT-max feel like demons are coming out of the screen.

i'm gonna throw up, it doesn't stop.  one day at a time.

stones-walking.JPG

Reveal hidden contents

still on movie strike since the untrustworthy Searching (2018).

I dont trust the rest of the movies.  It sucks cuz i really wanna see I Feel Pretty.

*a helicopter just flew by as i hit enter.  check  my FB

Edited by Slave Animal Rights

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Was busy elsewhere so I missed the start of the match, but:

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

ALREADY UP 1 GOAL!!!!

Keep waiting for the equalizer from France, as they've been putting a decent amount of pressure on the US's defense.  But they haven't slipped through.  Yet.

Gonna be a tight match the whole way, I think.

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Keep waiting for the equalizer from France, as they've been putting a decent amount of pressure on the US's defense.  But they haven't slipped through.  Yet.

Gonna be a tight match the whole way, I think.

GOOOOALLLLLLLL

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLL

USA WINS!!!!

What a great game!  France played them tough throughout, with a consistent attack in the second half, but the USWNT was just too strong.

Clearly the better side and probably the best of the tourney.  France deserved better than going out in the quarters, but the draw is the draw.

Now just have to guard against a letdown.  Onto England and the semis.

===

EDIT:::

Once the French got that one goal, it was if the USWNT just said "Nah" and ratcheted up the pressure and didn't let anything get close except for one bar save that could have been the equalizer. But overall the defense just stepped it up a notch that last 15 minutes.

Then they kept advancing into the French side of the field, with excellent clock killing possessions.  Just a great win all the way around against a world class opponent.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, AJG said:

In further 2019 mergers and acquisitions: Lego now own The London Eye and several wax museums.

Merlin originally bought Legoland from the family that owns LEGO and now they're buying up all of Merlin. Then again both companies are in the opposite position financially from where they were when the sale was made.

lol, i got out of bed on no sleep and strolled to the mall 10/17/18 Halloween opening morning, got good hits off a ceramic wrapped  apple bowl by the freeway that gave me my paranoid moneys worth, I ignored all the advertisements, because Halloween is like Star Wars, so we are mostly Halloween-literate and can sleepwalk to the theater and watch another one 20 years later with cereal boxes on the mind.  I posted about how the new Halloween ruined that idea, I wanted to just text from the theater being like "Houston, we have a problem"... maybe what Phantom Menace people felt.  I figured out it was the Blumhouse add-on that probably screwed around with Halloween's untouchable brand.  

i went to the store afterwards and i thought i heard someone mutter in the parking lot "It's been tough on the Michael"  referencing to 40 years of Michael.