Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Something to consider. “Certain Subjects”. We are not taking about if DC is better than Marvel Comics. We are not talking about if you should put pineapple on pizza. When discussing gender and sexuality issues they are very personal, and often very dangerous. In part of America and in the world is not safe to be queer. 

To keep this focused on film and the box office, one way to make the world more safe for queer people is to normalize their lives on screen. “Representation Matters” is not some cute catch phrase. It can be overwhelming and cathartic to see yourself on screen — especially if you are not use to it, or if you are being represented (finally) in a new and more honest light. And every time another story is told, it just helps the normalization. 

So maybe the next time you are frustrated with that gap between opinions, you can keep that in mind. 

Agreed on all points. One of the aspects I find so frustrating about the "debate" about the LGBTQ+ community (I mean, there was even a literal debate about trans identity on the BBC a while back - yikes!) is that the things people outside of the community see as lively topics for debate in the so-called free marketplace of ideas - i.e. same-sex marriage, which bathrooms trans people should use, whether being LGBTQ+ should disqualify a person from a job - have real world consequences for the community itself. An individual opinion may not be insidious or guided by bigotry or malice in and of itself, but if that opinion gains repetition and traction on a wider societal level - or if enough people just see their right to their opinion as being more important than the impact that opinion has on the targeted population - it can serve as a justification for real harm.

TL, DR: Opinions don't exist in a vacuum and the lives of people in vulnerable communities - LGBTQ+ or otherwise - shouldn't be debated as blithely as if one were discussing whether pineapples on pizza are gross (hey, we even had the same point of comparison!).

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

By the way, pineapples 100% should be on pizzas.

I personally don't care for them, but when I was working at a pizza joint the Hawaiian pizza (ham + pineapple) was easily one of our best sellers.  Probably directly behind the standard pepperoni and ever-favorite combination pizza. 

Certainly sold a ton of them.

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I personally don't care for them, but when I was working at a pizza joint the Hawaiian pizza (ham + pineapple) was easily one of our best sellers.  Probably directly behind the standard pepperoni and ever-favorite combination pizza. 

Certainly sold a ton of them.

BTW, I'm pretty capitalist/agnostic/live and let live on pizza toppings when it comes to what folks like.  Probably influenced by my father always wanting anchovies on his pizzas (can't stand them myself) as well as working at Round Table for years in my ill-spent youth.

Want anchovies on your pizza?  Glad to put them on.

Pineapples?  I would have turned a ton of people away if we didn't have it.

Shrimp?  Sure, why not.

BBQ sauce instead of tomato?  Believe it or not, it had its adherents. Usually with chicken as a topping (Round Table doesn't offer it anymore but I understand some pizza joints still sell it).

Ranch Dressing sauce "Creamy Garlic" sauce instead of tomato?  Don't knock it until you try it.

Really, all of these debates of "is x okay as a topping on pizza" are silly and stupid in the extreme.  You like it? Then yes.  Who the hell cares what food snobs think.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

i couldn't take Mystery, Alaska (1999) seriously because of the music in the first 15 minutes.  and when he put the puck in the net with that whistle theme?  lol.....

Spoiler

What would BOT rank these?  Mystery Alaska, Any Given Sunday, and For Love Of the Game. 

btw check out Any Given Sunday released with Man on the Moon, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Galaxy Quest, (Bicentennial Man), and yours truly.... Any Given Sunday.  what do you think?  hehe.  Was Talented Mr Ripley and Man on the Moon together with these a prediction of who is going to be gay?  Were any of the 1999 movies middle school predictions by adults on who would turn out gay 20 years later?

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DAR said:

I got caught up on Big Little Lies.  Last nights episode was great but overall I’m not really enamored with this season 

I'm actually really liking the season a lot (even if I'm not sure it was exactly necessary but then again most things aren't), but I do hope this is it and there isn't a third season before we see the final outcome next week. I will say Meryl's Mary Louise is making a fantastic case for being named Best Villain of 2019 though; heck even the Night King would bow to her.

• Like 1