Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Just 8 more days until CAYOM Y6 Movie submission closes but it’s not to late to submit movies. Even if you miss the deadline, you can still participate in Y6 and in future years to come:

If I may help advertise CAYOM for a moment;

I've been playing the game for almost a year now, and I have to say, it's a great game for anybody who likes writing to be involved with. I've been able to write some really cool plot summaries for this game. If you have a story or an adaptation in your head, this is a great way to summarize the story that you think you want to tell. It's a really supportive group that can help your refine your storytelling. The best way to learn storytelling is to tell stories, and I've been learning a lot through this. I highly recommend that you try this game! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

I’m gonna take an insane guess that more people watch it.

Of course (although I would question that with the last two seasons), but Netflix has to come to a point where they value quality over quantity. I mean, of course you'll keep the show that's pulling millions of viewers, but since new streaming sites are popping up like crazy, they also need to make themselves distinctive and focus more on keeping people who want good TV, and apart from HBO, they're the main player in that field, but the latest cancellation of many good shows is making me skeptical if they understand what their main role is. People who like 13 Reasons Why shouldn't and won't be Netflix's main demographic group.

7 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Of course (although I would question that with the last two seasons), but Netflix has to come to a point where they value quality over quantity. I mean, of course you'll keep the show that's pulling millions of viewers, but since new streaming sites are popping up like crazy, they also need to make themselves distinctive and focus more on keeping people who want good TV, and apart from HBO, they're the main player in that field, but the latest cancellation of many good shows is making me skeptical if they understand what their main role is. People who like 13 Reasons Why shouldn't and won't be Netflix's main demographic group.

Netflix really doesn't have much patience for anything that doesn't immediately have major buzz these days (I suspect most of their buzzy new shows will come from those super expensive Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes deals about to see results, the former beginning in less than two weeks with much-buzzed-about The Politician). Besides, they seem more focused on the movie side at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

they also need to make themselves distinctive and focus more on keeping people who want good TV, and apart from HBO, they're the main player in that field

There is no perfect metric but apparently that what the most watched show Netflix volume looked like during 2018:

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/21/18139817/netflix-most-popular-shows-friends-office-greys-anatomy-parks-recreation-streaming-tv

Screen_Shot_2019_01_04_at_11.42.13_AM.pn

1 ) 13 reasons why is featured on that list, with almost no Netflix true original higher outside Orange is the New Black and Bojack.

2) Has you see with what is popular on Netflix, volume is really really big, their value algorithm was loving the first 2 season of shows for their ability to gain people over their length it is true, but when they will loose their 2 big product, The Office and Friends that all are high and about volume/rewatchibility, they will probably show back some sign of liking volume.

• Like 1

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

There is no perfect metric but apparently that what the most watched show Netflix volume looked like during 2018:

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/21/18139817/netflix-most-popular-shows-friends-office-greys-anatomy-parks-recreation-streaming-tv

Screen_Shot_2019_01_04_at_11.42.13_AM.pn

1 ) 13 reasons why is featured on that list, with almost no Netflix true original higher outside Orange is the New Black and Bojack.

2) Has you see with what is popular on Netflix, volume is really really big, their value algorithm was loving the first 2 season of shows for their ability to gain people over their length it is true, but when they will loose their 2 big product, The Office and Friends that all are high and about volume/rewatchibility, they will probably show back some sign of liking volume.

Wow, I hadn’t seen that chart before. Really puts in perspective how awkward losing Friends and the Office will be for them :hahaha:

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Game of Thrones picks up 10 Creative Arts Emmys. Gonna be fun watching the meltdowns when that mostly unloved final season inevitably takes home the top prize next Sunday.

Jesus Christ. Really goes to show how detached awards can be from quality. I mean, not that that wasn’t already demonstrated hundreds of times, but it’s a perniciously difficult assumption to fully rid yourself of of.

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Wow, I hadn’t seen that chart before. Really puts in perspective how awkward losing Friends and the Office will be for them 

With how high those 2 went on the bidding block ($100M a year for 5 year's a 500M deal for the Office, $85M a year-425M for 5 year's for Friends) we can suspect how big those 2 streaming metrics must just be in the recent past if their value in 3-4 year's is still that high, that also put in perspective a 250M deal for an Lords of The Rings show that you own I would imagine forever at Amazon.

It will be quite the shift.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Jesus Christ. Really goes to show how detached awards can be from quality. I mean, not that that wasn’t already demonstrated hundreds of times, but it’s a perniciously difficult assumption to fully rid yourself of of.

It won:

• Sound editing
  • Visual effect
  • Costume
  • Make Up
  • Stunts
  • Title design
  • Score
  • Casting
  • Sound Mixing
  • Editing

Was it not really high quality of craftsmanship on pretty much all of those ?

At least it didn't win cinematography or script or best series, I doubt anyone will have issue with any of those win's

• Like 2

@Barnack, no those are all pretty reasonable. I was responding to the final part of the post where they suggest that it will inevitably win the Outstanding Drama Primetime Emmy next week. That would be a farce. A writing Primetime win would really be the worst though.

Edited by Thanos Legion