Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Jesus Christ. Really goes to show how detached awards can be from quality. I mean, not that that wasn’t already demonstrated hundreds of times, but it’s a perniciously difficult assumption to fully rid yourself of of.

to be fair those 10 wins were for mostly technical achievements, which were deserved as season 8 had the best production value in the series. (the artistic (acting,writing, directing & picture) awards are next week but I'm not doubting GoT sweeping there as well :ph34r:)

the creative arts awards that GoT won today were for music,costumes,makeup,casting,title design,editing,sound editing & mixing, special VFX and stunts :bagoverhead:

28 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No, it goes to show how ridiculous some people on Internet sound. Thankfully Emmy voters are more objective.

No. It really goes to show how detached awards can be from quality.    

See? Isn’t this fun? We can be here all day.

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, clarified that just earlier. GOT S8 was still technically excellent. The wins I would object to are basically only writing and overall, but it appears very likely that the latter at least is happening.

Fine Print: unless it was that episode where they fought the night army in pitch black. That was bullshit. 

6 hours ago, Titan Man said:

Of course (although I would question that with the last two seasons), but Netflix has to come to a point where they value quality over quantity. I mean, of course you'll keep the show that's pulling millions of viewers, but since new streaming sites are popping up like crazy, they also need to make themselves distinctive and focus more on keeping people who want good TV, and apart from HBO, they're the main player in that field, but the latest cancellation of many good shows is making me skeptical if they understand what their main role is. People who like 13 Reasons Why shouldn't and won't be Netflix's main demographic group.

13 reasons why is a teen / young adult show right? You don't think that demographic makes up a Yuge part of Netflix's customer base? Young adults are easily the biggest consumer of Netflix.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

It won:

• Sound editing
  • Visual effect
  • Costume
  • Make Up
  • Stunts
  • Title design
  • Score
  • Casting
  • Sound Mixing
  • Editing

Was it not really high quality of craftsmanship on pretty much all of those ?

At least it didn't win cinematography or script or best series, I doubt anyone will have issue with any of those win's

Casting, especially over Succession, is silly to me. What new roles even got cast in season 8? The golden company guy?

6 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Jesus Christ. Really goes to show how detached awards can be from quality. I mean, not that that wasn’t already demonstrated hundreds of times, but it’s a perniciously difficult assumption to fully rid yourself of of.

In fairness, it's the only show in that category with any real buzz considering it has almost 4x the amount of nominations as the second most nominated show. Nobody should be surprised it's gonna be a coronation.

48 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Another one bites the dust.

Na Corda Bamba premiered to an abysmal 9.9% / 19.7%. Golpe de Sorte S3 did an explosive 13.8% / 27.8%.

Literally DOA.

This had to be expected. Golpe de Sorte and Nazaré will destroy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

This had to be expected. Golpe de Sorte and Nazaré will destroy it.

On top of that, MasterChef, at 11PM, did about half of what Alma e Coração does on weekdays and less than plenty of episodes of A Dona do Pedaço as well. 4.9% / 16.7%. Share's not too shabby coming off the Na Corda Bamba floppage, but that rating is the pits. And this is the show that will reoccupy 9PM next week. I guess TVI misses the 10% shares on Sunday nights. Holy fucking shit.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Haha 1

It does not matter how many awards Season 8 of GOT gets, it was widely detested by audiences who watched it. 

Like we can argue technically it was well down but from a story point of view it was largely disliked and I think the added reason people are upset is that the shows ending was rushed by the creators.

Edited by Lordmandeep

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Casting, especially over Succession, is silly to me. What new roles even got cast in season 8? The golden company guy?

Looking at the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Casting_for_a_Drama_Series

the same show get nominated many time, does not make much sense, but maybe this is a clue: location casting director

Those shows can have hundreds of very small part being cast ?

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Looking at the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Casting_for_a_Drama_Series

the same show get nominated many time, does not make much sense, but maybe this is a clue: location casting director

Those shows can have hundreds of very small part being cast ?

it seems like both get awarded yeah. but even in that case i personally can't justify game of thrones winning that award when they only cast minor roles this season vs. succession which was in its first season thus had to cast it's entire main ensemble, and they did it perfectly. even other shows not in their first season, like killing eve season 2 had a few new major characters this season to justify that nomination.

Edited by CoolioD1