Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 9/18/2019 at 4:13 PM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Just five days until CAYOM Year 6 movie submission closes, but you can still join in reviews, predictions and even our Oscar ceremonies.

I know some of us (group chat wise and sometimes forum wise) can be a bit overly passionate about CAYOM but it’s really that much fun. I used to hate creative writing until CAYOM reignited my writing spark, and we really can use new members, new opinions and more members of our writing family. If it weren’t for CAYOM, I’d probably leave the forums, so if any of y’all has even the slightest interest, I highly recommend you give it a look.

Still plenty of time to join CAYOM Year 6, although if you want to debut some films and showcase your writing skills, you have until Monday at 11:59 PM EST. 

Otherwise you can still review and read some of the most big films this year: Mass Effect 2, the beloved space opera finale Spark: A Hero’s Promise, an animated adaptation of Super Mario Bros, biblical epic Children of Eden and many more.

• Like 1

:( :( :( :( 

===

EDIT::  I should probably add for folks who don't remember/know, he was the actor who played Nog on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. 

Pablo Hidalgo puts it beautifully here:   

Edited by Porthos

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

In lighter news, The Internet Remains Undefeated, example number 478912:

I think @captainwondyful will particularly want to see this. :ph34r:

(the original music video for Weapon of Choice for the uncultured who might not be aware of what this is spoofing)

One other note.  The actual Oscar performance by Fred Astaire did not have those reaction shots, of course.  I reckon the person who put them in the vid above did it as something of a "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it" Back to the Future homage. 

I personally think it adds a little verisimilitude to it all as a 1970's audience very much would be confused at that style of music. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

It is carless day in London today.  The cars are nowhere near on the road and there's not a single soul out there making it to work .  But I have seen a few people running and I think they are doing it on purpose!  Some people are running to find out what the new government is going to do about their cars! Here is my theory as to why. A friend of mine recently suggested that people don't drive because they don't have to.  A lot of people think that the government will make their driving so unpleasant that they will never be willing to drive again,  but I think the opposite actually happens.  More and more people are turning to alternative forms of transportation and are taking up less expensive alternatives such as cycling.  One of the benefits of cycling is that it is safer than driving as it will stop cars from killing pedestrians and cyclists.  The more cars are on the road the less safe they get.

1 hour ago, Kthuxi said:

It is carless day in London today.  The cars are nowhere near on the road and there's not a single soul out there making it to work .  But I have seen a few people running and I think they are doing it on purpose!  Some people are running to find out what the new government is going to do about their cars! Here is my theory as to why. A friend of mine recently suggested that people don't drive because they don't have to.  A lot of people think that the government will make their driving so unpleasant that they will never be willing to drive again,  but I think the opposite actually happens.  More and more people are turning to alternative forms of transportation and are taking up less expensive alternatives such as cycling.  One of the benefits of cycling is that it is safer than driving as it will stop cars from killing pedestrians and cyclists.  The more cars are on the road the less safe they get.

jack nicholson ugh GIF

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

In lighter news, The Internet Remains Undefeated, example number 478912:

I think @captainwondyful will particularly want to see this. :ph34r:

(the original music video for Weapon of Choice for the uncultured who might not be aware of what this is spoofing)

That is such an improvement over the original Oscars video. Really shows the power of a good song/score. 

And yes uncultured, watch the original. Still one of my all time fave music videos. 

• Like 1

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/761653198/here-are-the-nominees-for-the-2019-national-book-awards

Nominees For The 2019 National Book Awards

Fiction
Taffy Brodesser-Akner, Fleishman Is in Trouble
Susan Choi, Trust Exercise
Kali Fajardo-Anstine, Sabrina & Corina: Stories
Marlon James, Black Leopard, Red Wolf
Laila Lalami, The Other Americans
Kimberly King Parsons, Black Light: Stories
Helen Phillips, The Need
Julia Phillips, Disappearing Earth
Ocean Vuong, On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
Colson Whitehead, The Nickel Boys

25 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Apparently the Eagles wide receivers think football is the same as soccer and are not allowed to use their hands to catch a ball

Same with Sanders on the Broncos.  If he had caught the first ball thrown it would have been a touchdown.  Second ball would have been a first down.  When you are always double covered you have to be ready in single coverage.  Emanuel wasn’t ready today.

• Like 1

Emmy winners:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2019-emmy-winners-list-1233990

I'm sure the Internet will be mostly wailing about how undeserved Game of Thrones winning is (to which I say: get over it, category is freed up again starting next year) but there's actually a ton of cool wins here. Jodie Comer! Billy Porter! Succession winning Writing! Very much deserved wins for both Michelle Williams and Patricia Arquette (and such great speeches). And JHARREL JEROME!

I have to start watching Fleabag now.

Veep was the big loser of the night. I figured JLD would walk away with the award easily not only to complete her sweep but also her cancer scare turning into sympathy votes, but I guess the Fleabag/Phoebe Waller-Bridge love was too much to overcome.

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Hey Guys! After a encouragement from family and friends, I will submit something to  Zoetrope: All-Story Short Fiction Competition!

https://www.zoetrope.com/contests

I have only a week to write something though.

220px-ZoetropeAllStory.jpg

Thank you, Francis Ford Coppola!

Going to have to write a rough draft and then share it with about three people on Thursday evening. And then edit it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And submit it on Monday.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm gonna be that guy and say game of thrones winning is objectively hilarious, i don't think there is another show that crashed so epically hard in its final 3 episodes

I dunno, How I Met Your Mother's finale singlehandedly ruined the entire series. 

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a disgrace that GoT lost for Directing (maybe because of vote-splitting) but still... Not bad, not bad at all.

game-of-thrones-cersei-wine.jpg?itok=83j

That and also because they probably wanted to finally give Jason Bateman an Emmy (he likely would've won for acting if not for Billy Porter having such a big moment in the industry right now).