Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

As for the death of the theatrical experience, Norton blames the actual theaters instead of streaming services. Why? It’s all down to the presentation of films and the actual bulbs the multiplexes use to project the images.

“A lot of filmmakers and cinematographers that I know that have really started to look into this say that more than 60 percent of American theaters are running their projector at almost half the luminosity that they’re required by contract to run it at,” Norton said. “They are delivering crappy sound and a dim picture, and no one is calling them on it.”

He added, “You want to train people. Like, go get your money back. If the movie looks dark, it was—go get your money back! I think we should rally around that. I really do.”

Image result for huh gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If a movie looks dark and muddy, it’s almost always gonna be the theater’s fault. 

Norton is pretty right.

Cancel all the dark and muddy movies then. Lets make everything IMAX and Dolby Atmos. :) 

15 hours ago, MrPink said:

giphy.gif

No.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If a movie looks dark and muddy, it’s almost always gonna be the theater’s fault. 

Norton is pretty right.

I mean he's likely right about some theater projections needing to check their lighting but to say that's why theater attendance has been shrinking just seems completely goofy to me. The average moviegoer doesn't even pay attention to that sort of thing.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean he's likely right about some theater projections needing to check their lighting but to say that's why theater attendance has been shrinking just seems completely goofy to me. The average moviegoer doesn't even pay attention to that sort of thing.

Well, his general point is that the theatrical experience used to be more special and now it isn’t, in part because the theaters don’t care about presentation and audiences, even if they can’t pinpoint the technical reasons why, aren’t as impressed or interested in going. I agree with that. When basically paying a premium is the only way to guarantee a solid presentation, most people won’t wanna spend extra and they’ll just stay home. 

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well, his general point is that the theatrical experience used to be more special and now it isn’t, in part because the theaters don’t care about presentation and audiences, even if they can’t pinpoint the technical reasons why, aren’t as impressed or interested in going. I agree with that. When basically paying a premium is the only way to guarantee a solid presentation, most people won’t wanna spend extra and they’ll just stay home. 

I feel like with all the doom and gloom about the industry these days we've been seeing over the past month and a half that people will still show up to the movies in numbers when you put out things that people actually want to see (Norton's Motherless Brooklyn, which has mediocre reviews and is tracking for a single digits opening, isn't it).

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like with all the doom and gloom about the industry these days we've been seeing over the past month and a half that people will still show up to the movies in numbers when you put out things that people actually want to see (Norton's Motherless Brooklyn, which has mediocre reviews and is tracking for a single digits opening, isn't it).

I mean, releases these days is a pile of franchise wannabes and tentpoles and a couple of miscellaneous art films or Oscar hopefuls mixed in, which doesn’t seem like a viable long-term strategy to me. I think looking at movies after they’ve gotten an initial response is basically 20/20 hindsight — how are studios or distributors supposed to know in advance?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, releases these days is a pile of franchise wannabes and tentpoles and a couple of miscellaneous art films or Oscar hopefuls mixed in, which doesn’t seem like a viable long-term strategy to me.

I mean, hasn't it always been this way? Except there's a lot more entertainment options to choose from now with the multiplex just being one of them.

Speaking of the industry, Hollywood Reporter has posted their annual 100 most powerful people working today. Unsurprisingly, Bob Iger is #1.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/thr-100-hollywood-reporters-powerful-people-entertainment-1246527