Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

In Sundance news Downhill appears to be a dud but Wendy and Promising Young Woman are getting really good notices.

First major acquisition of the festival looks to be the Rebecca Hall thriller The Night House which Fox Searchlight is picking up for $12M. The Glorias is also getting a good reception so I expect a bidding war will ensue for that one as well.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

In Sundance news Downhill appears to be a dud but Wendy and Promising Young Woman are getting really good notices.

First major acquisition of the festival looks to be the Rebecca Hall thriller The Night House which Fox Searchlight is picking up for $12M. The Glorias is also getting a good reception so I expect a bidding war will ensue for that one as well.

Also of note, Uncle Frank from Alan Ball got picked up by Amazon for 12M, while Palm Springs (starring Andy Samberg and Cristin Miloti) got Neon/Hulu for 15M. Lionsgate/Roadside is also expecting to close a deal for Ironbark w/ Benedict Cumberbatch

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

In Sundance news Downhill appears to be a dud but Wendy and Promising Young Woman are getting really good notice

Reactions to Wendy seemed a bit mixed to me.

Zola, Minari, and Never Rarely Sometimes Always seem to be getting the best buzz from the festival.

Edited by lorddemaxus

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

none of these acquisitions are gonna make 12m combined.

Most of these will go to streaming. That is yhe future of indie movies nowadays. 

Oscar contenders are becoming more and more big studio friendly. 

Most of the Best Picture nominees of this year are kind of event movies. 

Ford v Ferrari 

Joker 

Little Women 

Marriage Story 

Irishman 

Once upon a time in Hollywood 

JoJo Rabbit 

Only one indie movie :

Parasite 

7 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Most of these will go to streaming. That is yhe future of indie movies nowadays. 

Oscar contenders are becoming more and more big studio friendly. 

Most of the Best Picture nominees of this year are kind of event movies. 

Ford v Ferrari 

Joker 

Little Women 

Marriage Story 

Irishman 

Once upon a time in Hollywood 

JoJo Rabbit 

Only one indie movie :

Parasite 

jojo rabbit certainly doesn't count as an "event" movie to me. Searchlight is still technically indie. it's made less money than parasite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

have netflix released any viewing figures for marriage story? the fact that i haven't seen any makes me think the numbers must be unimpressive.

Netflix only seems to share numbers when they're crazy big. Know they said that Ryan Reynolds/Michael Bay movie was watched by over 80 million people or something like that the other week but who knows how many of those people actually watched it and would've gone to a theater to see it vs. having it on as background noise and nothing more (I'm gonna guess not too many).

On 12/23/2019 at 6:12 AM, CoolioD1 said:

Just watched this movie Beanpole and it was pretty incredible and heartbreaking and unsettling with the best performance i've seen in a movie this year. just released on MUBI here in the uk. unfortunately not out in the US until next month so i probably can't spam my BOFFY ballot with it but for sure one to check out if you get the chance. you see this @Jake Gittes (tagging you because you're the only russian poster i know here) 

I liked it quite a bit, although I thought the dude went overboard with the red/green color-coding and it finally lost steam for me about 20 mins before the end. But great performances (is Vasilisa Perelygina / Masha the one you were referring to?) and the frank handling of the subject matter gives me hope for Russian cinema going forward. A rare festival darling of ours that I was on board with.

• Like 1