Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Recommend reading The Unwomanly Face of War if you haven't, although it will completely gut you. Was a semi-official inspiration for Beanpole (most notably Perelygina's big climactic monologue in the house) and gives you a good idea of what these characters would have gone through during the war.

I want to see "Beanpole" but it has not gotten a release in the US Yet, even on the foregin language circuit.

The siege of Leningard was horrific even by Second World Standards. Somethingt like a million people died of starvation.

I recomment Harrison Salisbury's "The 900 Days" as a good general history of the Siege.

I got that movies could  be bad early in my life, it was until a bit later I got that good directors could make some really bad movies.

I remember being hugely disappointed in the first Star Trek movie, and that had a undeinably great director in Robert Wise.

Edited by dudalb

Since it showed up on Disney +, I decided to check out the animated Lion King remake. Surprised I made it all the way through.  It wasn't good.  Not completley awful but it was just generic as can be which maybe worse than being horrible 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 75Live said:

Since it showed up on Disney +, I decided to check out the animated Lion King remake. Surprised I made it all the way through.  It wasn't good.  Not completley awful but it was just generic as can be which maybe worse than being horrible 

I have not seen the remake yet, but I suspected that it would not have anywhere near the charm of the original. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndyK said:

News outlets reporting China closing 70,000 screens in a bid to contain the coronavirus.

Movies opening early 2020 are not going to get China $ unfortunately.

This stuff is getting scary. Anybody who thinks the coronavirus cannot spread  outside of China is living in La La Land. Germs and Microbes don't care about borders. And all it takes is just one person coming in the US infected by the disease.....

If you reall want to get scared, watch a 2011 Movie called "Contagion". Bears a uncanny resembelence to what might be happening.

Dammit, I was beat to it...…..

It's a really good movie and deserved a better reception then it got in 2011. Sad it has to get it this way.

BTW, the Jude Law character is one of the most despicable charecters in film history..spreading panic in order to peddle his worthless snake oil cure for the disease.

Edited by dudalb

https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/1/29/21058521/hollywood-ai-deepfake-black-mirror-gemini-irishman-cinelytic

“...if money is king at the movies, we’ve got to be brave now. We’ve got to watch films we’re not sure we’ll like and share them with others. It’s almost too simple. We’ve got to vote with our credit cards, a little at a time, and keep insisting we deserve more than warm milk designed to lull us into market-driven complacency, pre-chewed meals served on white bread.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2020/1/29/21058521/hollywood-ai-deepfake-black-mirror-gemini-irishman-cinelytic

“...if money is king at the movies, we’ve got to be brave now. We’ve got to watch films we’re not sure we’ll like and share them with others. It’s almost too simple. We’ve got to vote with our credit cards, a little at a time, and keep insisting we deserve more than warm milk designed to lull us into market-driven complacency, pre-chewed meals served on white bread.”

I get what she's saying, but this seems like "overreaction" to me, especially when in the past few months we've seen multiple movies based on zero IP make serious bank (while things like Terminator and Charlie's Angels reboots were completely rejected by audiences, albeit to the surprise of no one but the studios who thought they could milk one last bit of cash out of those dried up titles). Of course I expect some will remain salty just because their faves like, say, Booksmart never stood a realistic shot at challenging a live-action Disney remake in terms of attendance but hey, far from the first acclaimed teen movie to fizzle at the box office before finding an audience on home video/streaming and likely won't be the last either (especially when I'm positive you have to go back to 2007 to find the last teen comedy that really broke out in theaters).

Edited by filmlover

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I get what he's saying, but this seems like "overreaction" to me, especially when in the past few months we've seen multiple movies based on zero IP make serious bank (while things like Terminator and Charlie's Angels reboots were completely rejected by audiences, albeit to the surprise of no one but the studios who thought they could milk one last bit of cash out of those dried up titles). Of course I expect some will remain salty just because their faves like, say, Booksmart never stood a realistic shot at challenging a live-action Disney remake in terms of attendance but hey, far from the first acclaimed teen movie to fizzle at the box office before finding an audience on home video/streaming and likely won't be the last either (especially when I'm positive you have to go back to 2007 to find the last teen comedy that really broke out in theaters).

I assume you mean “she”. :) There’s always going to be exceptions to the rule, I’m not sure a few movies really stand out as a meaningful data point, especially when looking at the bigger picture. But then again, I’m extremely pessimistic when it comes to studio non-tentpole filmmaking these days. 

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I assume you mean “she”. :) There’s always going to be exceptions to the rule, I’m not sure a few movies really stand out as a meaningful data point, especially when looking at the bigger picture. But then again, I’m extremely pessimistic when it comes to studio non-tentpole filmmaking these days. 

lol yeah I was typing so fast that I figured I missed something along the way.

(speaking of "nitpick" notes: when she talks about the distracting overreliance on CGI performances in movies these days she mentions Carrie Fisher in the last two Star Wars movies was all CGI when it was only the most recent one that was made after her death - she passed sometime between the conclusion of The Last Jedi's filming and the movie's release)

Also I had forgotten about that movie with a CGI James Dean on the way (or had intentionally blocked it out). Even if that has received his family's approval, hope that shit bombs a most miserable death at the box office even if it ends up as a limited release only (which it most likely will).

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

(speaking of "nitpick" notes: when she talks about the distracting overreliance on CGI performances in movies these days she mentions Carrie Fisher in the last two Star Wars movies was all CGI when it was only the most recent one that was made after her death - she passed sometime between the conclusion of The Last Jedi's filming and the movie's release)

Yes, I saw that too, I assume she had a brain-fart while thinking about ROGUE ONE. 

On 1/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, dudalb said:

I got that movies could  be bad early in my life, it was until a bit later I got that good directors could make some really bad movies.

I remember being hugely disappointed in the first Star Trek movie, and that had a undeinably great director in Robert Wise.

I had this realization midway through watching an episode of Pokémon the Animated Series

5 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It's kind of a shame too, because you can use a lot of the same approaches in a post-hoc fashion, such as studying representation in media (I know the Geena Davis Institute does a lot of work like this), and it could be used to break out of a lot of conventions in storytelling. But of course it's always going to be the bottom line that gets optimized for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

This stuff is getting scary. Anybody who thinks the coronavirus cannot spread  outside of China is living in La La Land. Germs and Microbes don't care about borders. And all it takes is just one person coming in the US infected by the disease.....

If you reall want to get scared, watch a 2011 Movie called "Contagion". Bears a uncanny resembelence to what might be happening.

Dammit, I was beat to it...…..

It's a really good movie and deserved a better reception then it got in 2011. Sad it has to get it this way.

BTW, the Jude Law character is one of the most despicable charecters in film history..spreading panic in order to peddle his worthless snake oil cure for the disease.

The last Corana virus outbreak SARS, resulted in a total of 0 deaths in the US. Flu killed 10s of thousands.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

This latest is supposed to be less infectious than SARS.

A little perspective is required.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Yes, I saw that too, I assume she had a brain-fart while thinking about ROGUE ONE. 

Even with TROS it was actually scenes filmed for TFA that weren’t used.