Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

10 hours ago, Jason said:

This might come as a surprise, but it's possible to walk and talk at the same time.

While the government was very correctly pointing out that it was harmful and completely unnecessary to be avoiding Asian businesses, it was also successfully identifying and treating coronavirus cases, exhaustively testing potential cases, and doing other preparations for preventing a pandemic.

Well i would say that Prime Minister "wokeness"  have failed on both accounts so far. 

Asian business have seen business collapse anyways as anyone who thinks that way don't care what a political has to say and I dont have much faith that the govt is well prepared for a pandemic based on how the govt can't move some people from a railway line. 

How they handled the blockades was a disturbing lack of leadership as they seemed focused on the "wokeness" of the issues around Indigenous concerns.

It was rather hilarious that wokeness evaporated when a poll over the weekend showed Canadians were not happy with the blockades and the PM asked for them to come down.

My point is you have your faith in our govt but I dont share that faith. I dont think a lot of Western Governments have what it takes to deal with a pandemic.

I think we as a society have gotten rather soft and comfortable and never really have to be used to inconvenience and discomfort that may occur with a pandemic. 

and I think we are about to get a harsh reality check of what an actual crisis is really like.

😓

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well i would say that Prime Minister "wokeness"  have failed on both accounts so far. 

Asian business have seen business collapse anyways as anyone who thinks that way don't care what a political has to say and I dont have much faith that the govt is well prepared for a pandemic based on how the govt can't move some people from a railway line. 

How they handled the blockades was a disturbing lack of leadership as they seemed focused on the "wokeness" of the issues around Indigenous concerns.

It was rather hilarious that wokeness evaporated when a poll over the weekend showed Canadians were not happy with the blockades and the PM asked for them to come down.

My point is you have your faith in our govt but I dont share that faith. I dont think a lot of Western Governments have what it takes to deal with a pandemic.

I think we as a society have gotten rather soft and comfortable and never really have to be used to inconvenience and discomfort that may occur with a pandemic. 

and I think we are about to get a harsh reality check of what an actual crisis is really like.

😓

Bigotry is such a wonderful thing.

And what exactly do you mean by "what it takes". A authoratarin dictator ship like China.

I will tell you what is scary" that quite a few of the younger people seem to be buying into the idea that a all powerful government is a good idea.

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Bigotry is such a wonderful thing.

And what exactly do you mean by "what it takes". A authoratarin dictator ship like China.

I will tell you what is scary" that quite a few of the younger people seem to be buying into the idea that a all powerful government is a good idea.

I am not a fan of big government but I think the best value government comes in times of crisis such as these, 

Like in Italy and many countries they put in some rather draconian measures and I wonder here in Canada and such would react to them... focus on the bigger picture or that it goes against my rights... 

You(We) won't contain the Corona virus with leftist values & democracy.

What the chinese people are living through right now must be hell in the quarantined areas (how long is that been already ? how do they eat ?)

BUT

maybe it is what it takes.

Would a french/American doctor/citizen go in Wuhan right now to help the people over there ????

Anyone ?

Any brave leftist that always has moral superiority on everybody and everything ?

Thoutht so.

Words, that s always all they have.

"Do As I say not as I do".

The cacophony I am hearing in France right now is insane, nobody seems to agree on what to do.

No policial regime is perfect but I d argue the corona virus may need us to take decisions that people of the military and governments used to take until WWII in the west.

Horrible, tough, adult

decisions.

Decisions where ONE life means nothing.

And you start to reason in thousands and millions.

I truly, truly hope I am wrong and we won't need to go that far but the scale & scope of the situations in China, Asia,Iran Italy tell me we re in for a very, very rude awakening on how our societies built on giant cities are able to confront such an event both logistically ( food, water, basic supplies, medicines, hygiene, trash etc) and psychologically (people are depressed for anything these days, let s see how they react when just shaking the hands becomes the russian roulette for their entire family and household).

If the basic supply chains start to break well ............

People are gonna realize how easy we have had it for decades, us energy and ressources gobblers.

Stupid ecologists could have a taste of what they wish for.

Always careful for what you wish for.

Edited by The Futurist

19 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Hey @Plain Old Tele, I recall you having read some Dan Simmons. Is his Hyperion series worth checking out?

It’s a great series, especially the first two books (which are literally a part 1 & part 2, with part 1 ending on a cliffhanger. So when you get them, make sure you have part 2 readily available when you get close to the end of the first book). :lol: 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s a great series, especially the first two books (which are literally a part 1 & part 2, with part 1 ending on a cliffhanger. So when you get them, make sure you have part 2 readily available when you get close to the end of the first book). :lol: 

Cool. I was thinking about giving it a go after I'm done with The Dark Tower. Summer of Night is one of my favorite books of all time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Have you read Drood?