Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

You know, I kinda would have liked to have seen Bohemian Rhapsody cross a billion. Just so we could have a non-special-effects type typical 'blockbuster' movie actually join the club. I guess you could say Joker did, but that's still a CBM.

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

You know, I kinda would have liked to have seen Bohemian Rhapsody cross a billion. Just so we could have a non-special-effects type typical 'blockbuster' movie actually join the club. I guess you could say Joker did, but that's still a CBM.

i still have faith that an actually good movie can be the first one day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Well, maybe the next billion dollar grosser (cause it's probably gonna be a while we see another one of those) will be the one!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

4th Lisbeth Salander within a decade, and a decade too late to actually be relevant 

I figured they would try one last time as a series after the character failed to take off as a movie franchise. I think there's also a Robert Langdon show in development at NBC.

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i still have faith that an actually good movie can be the first one day.

to be fair, BR is better than some billion-dollar movies already. Even if you're on the "don't like it" side of the fence, it's miles better than something like Age of Extinction. 

Either way, it would have been a nice accomplishment to show studios that biopics can be profitable. I wanna see more of those. It's partly why I'm disappointed Rocketman didn't break out as big as it should have. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

to be fair, BR is better than some billion-dollar movies already. Even if you're on the "don't like it" side of the fence, it's miles better than something like Age of Extinction. 

Either way, it would have been a nice accomplishment to show studios that biopics can be profitable. I wanna see more of those. It's partly why I'm disappointed Rocketman didn't break out as big as it should have. 

It's gonna really take a lot for a purely original movie to break that benchmark, especially in the current climate (the fact Bohemian Rhapsody got as far as it did speaks volumes about the global love/nostalgia for that music). Closest I can think of in recent years of one that really blew up was American Sniper but that mainly did so in the US (the market it was always going to make most of its money from and unsurprisingly made up 2/3 of its worldwide total).

Edited by filmlover

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna really take a lot for a purely original movie to break that benchmark, especially in the current climate (the fact Bohemian Rhapsody got as far as it did speaks volumes about the global love/nostalgia for that music). Closest I can think of in recent years of one that really blew up was American Sniper but that mainly did so in the US (the market it was always going to make most of its money from and unsurprisingly made up 2/3 of its worldwide total).

True American Sniper was huge. Being from Canada, it wasn't quite the phenomenon it was in the States. Sure it was big, but it was more of a "strong movie of the week". My roommates from Europe have never even heard of it on the other hand.

Bohemian Rhapsody meanwhile was massive everywhere, whereas in the US it was more of the "strong movie of the week"

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Disagree. I’m looking thru the list and Alice in Wonderland is maybe the only movie I’d argue is worse.

• Like 1

Can we all at least agree that the Ice Age franchise is easily the most baffling of the global blockbusters :lol:? Two of those things made nearly $900M worldwide before crashing down with the last one and I'm pretty sure no one can tell any of the sequels apart from each other. Scrat: A Certified International Icon.

Scrat | Ice Age Wiki | Fandom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Disagree. I’m looking thru the list and Alice in Wonderland is maybe the only movie I’d argue is worse.

Age of Extinction better than Bohemian?

I haven't been able to will myself into watching BR, but that's a pretty fucking low bar.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can we all at least agree that the Ice Age franchise is easily the most baffling of the global blockbusters :lol:? Two of those things made nearly $900M worldwide before crashing down with the last one and I'm pretty sure no one can tell any of the sequels apart from each other. Scrat: A Certified International Icon.

The second film did huge numbers overseas for its time, but the third and fourth were just gargantuan. $690m and $715m OS for each, respectively. Still surprises me. 

Also, is there something wrong with BOM? DH1 just went up $16m WW...from $960m to $976m.

OoTP went from $939m to $942m.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The second film did huge numbers overseas for its time, but the third and fourth were just gargantuan. $690m and $715m OS for each, respectively. Still surprises me. 

They're definitely perfect examples of blockbusters literally no one talked about after they left theaters. Must've been the novelty of being one of the first CGI animated movie franchises at the time.

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

gotta disagree big time. Better than AiW, Despicable Me 3, on Stranger Tides, Rise of Skywalker, Age of Extinction, Aquaman, Minions, Last Jedi at least, probably a couple hours if I really sat down and compared.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'd argue that the dinosaur one was at least pretty entertaining and distinguishable.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

The last 15 mins of Bohemian Rhapsody was epic though...or do people have issue with film handled some social issues? 

Can't speak for everyone but in my personal experience that's a big issue some people have yea. Some people just didn't like it tho