Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Charade is Awesome and unlike Breakfast at Tiffany's which is another Iconic movie is not ruined by the extremely racist Mickey Rooney Asian Neighbour portrayal.  

Usually, in old movies, I overlook such things as they are not really distracting, like brownface Sir Lawrence Olivier in Khartoum and Sir Alec Guniess in Lawrence in Arabia as in the end those two men gave amazing performances then demeaning ones. 

8 hours ago, aabattery said:

Watched Charade. 'Twas marvelous. Very good.

I'm an uncultured idiot so this was my first Cary Grant movie, and dude's a movie star. Guy is great. Audrey Hepburn also great. My only hangup is the age gap. Grant and Hepburn have buckets of chemistry and their repartee is aces, but man, 25 years between the two is a lot. Feels a tad skeevy, but it is what it is. Movie still rules.

Cary Grant is probably my second favourite ever male movie star after Paul Newman so charade is a good start but let me give you what I think needs to be included in any Cary Grant starter pack

His Girl Friday

Bringing Up Baby

North by Northwest

Gunga Din

The Philadelphia Story

Arsenic and Old Lace

only angels have wings

cant go wrong with these

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I haven't actually watched any Hitchcock movies so that angle was #totally #lost #on #me.

I'll get to them eventually :unsure:

:kitschjob:

Start with classics like Vertigo, or maybe early silent films like The Lodger (just to get an idea of his directing abilities), and then go up from there. Like a lot of directors of his time, Hitchcock made many films, so there's plenty to watch. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

In English we're talking about Post-colonial criticism which led to the discussion of the topic of women's rights. It was interesting at first and relevant until one girl started getting preachy and started telling the teacher he was an awful human being because he's a white male.

Then she turned around and mentioned me that I should "just kill myself because if I don't I'm likely going to grow up perpetrating rape culture, and that I've probably already raped countless women because I'm a white male"

Im here sitting on my phone scrolling through the forums and I just looked so surprised and was like "wait... what?" Everyone laughed at that at least. The girl got kicked out for the day, and was told if she ever spoke like that again she was going to fail the course :lol: 

11 minutes ago, aabattery said:

The number of pre-2000 movies I've watched is pretty shameful. 

Just checked Letterboxd and 294 out of the 1,228 I've seen were released before 2000. :unsure:

I expect this out of Ethan

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, DAJK said:

In English we're talking about Post-colonial criticism which led to the discussion of the topic of women's rights. It was interesting at first and relevant until one girl started getting preachy and started telling the teacher he was an awful human being because he's a white male.

Then she turned around and mentioned me that I should "just kill myself because if I don't I'm likely going to grow up perpetrating rape culture, and that I've probably already raped countless women because I'm a white male"

Im here sitting on my phone scrolling through the forums and I just looked so surprised and was like "wait... what?" Everyone laughed at that at least. The girl got kicked out for the day, and was told if she ever spoke like that again she was going to fail the course :lol: 

Up until the second paragraph, that's pretty typical of any college-level English class. Some of my other English major friends and I had a pact that if we ever discussed all three of the usual topics in a single class - gender, race, and nature - we would get up and leave immediately because there was no way any other topic could possibly come up for discussion. It never happened for me, but it did for a couple of my friends in one of the American lit survey courses. The corollary of that pact, however, is that in the vast majority of our classes, either gender, race, or nature alone was the topic of conversation for the entire 90 minutes.

College English is also the reason why I still haven't gotten around to watching The Handmaid's Tale. In addition to just not thinking that the book itself was quite as clever as its author clearly believed it to be, I had a classmate who - no shit - spent, like, five minutes telling us about the symbolism of the name "Offred." It could mean OF FRED because she's like a possession or OFF-RED because she doesn't buy into the patriarchy as readily as the other handmaids! (That's the essence of what was said, but there was a ton of filler in support of it.) Afterward, my professor just said, as gently as he could: "Well, no shit."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RichWS said:

My Twitter feed has officially run Tide Pods and Paddington 2 into the ground.

I'm kind of surprised no critic has given Paddington 2 a negative review for site traffic purposes yet tbh. The moment it became "The most well reviewed movie on RT" about a week ago, I have been waiting for the inevitable Cole Smithey or Armond White review.