Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I don't get the sense that many people want Chappelle to be canceled. Most of the backlash seems like it's coming from the notion that the man comes across as someone who can't withstand a whiff of criticism for punching down at groups and topics just to be edgy. I think he genuinely thinks he's laughing with people (as exemplified by referring to the large gay population in Atlanta when he's doing his gay jokes in defense of Kevin Hart), but he totally comes across as laughing at them and seems on the defensive for having it pointed out. Furthermore, I think a significant amount of the backlash is also coming from people who love his previous work and know he can do better, sharper material rather than just being a comedic edgelord. If he was just a run-of-the-mill comedian making stock shock jokes, few would care because he'd just be written off as another lazy comedian not worth our time; the fact that he's doing this with a massive Netflix deal after using Chappelle's Show to punch up at racist power structures so mercilessly just makes his current approach much harder to swallow. It feels like he's traded incisive commentary on the bullies for being something of a bully himself.

And honestly, there's still some funny stuff in the set. The man is still wicked talented (even if he's lost a step since his show went off the air) and that's what keeps fans coming back to his new specials even after voicing displeasure with parts of previous ones. It's kinda like watching a legendary athlete in the twilight of his career: you know he's not as good as he used to be, but you're there for the occasional flashes of that "he's still got it" brilliance. But there's a moment toward the end of Sticks and Stones where he tries to be sincere and conciliatory by saying that if he made fun of your group, it's because he identifies with its experiences in some way. Yet, throughout the entire extended bit about all the letters in the LGBTQ+ community, there's never any sense of understanding of any part of the group's experience; he's just trotting out stereotypes and exploiting them for cheap laughs.

• Like 1

Cancel culture doesn't work because its driven by social media. People just move on to next thing a day later and forget what they were cancelling or boycotting. 

I still have to check out the Chappelle specials but that Jussie Smollet bit I saw on youtube was good.

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Cancel culture doesn't work because its driven by social media. People just move on to next thing a day later and forget what they were cancelling or boycotting. 

You're not wrong. Usually when people find themselves "cancelled," it's all their own doing (ala Roseanne Barr).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You're not wrong. Usually when people find themselves "cancelled," it's all their own doing (ala Roseanne Barr).

The people who got massacred in France, Charlie Hebdo, ring a bell ?, said & draw worse things than Miss Barr.

But these guys believed in freedom of speech.

Those fucking idiots.

What were they thinking.

And people wonder why we re left with comedies with dicks and vaginas jokes ... ah ah ah so funny! ... dick !vagina!

Trump Hair cut !

Comedy is at its apex in the west right now, a true golden age.

Edited by The Futurist

I have a question, why isn't Jussie Smollet being charged with anything? 

He is found to report a fake crime, orchestrated a fake crime and was ready to throw innocent people in jail  over by accusing innocent people. 

Imo I think such people should have the book thrown at them as they do a disservice to Minorities everywhere be undermining legitimate cases of hate crime. 

https://abc7chicago.com/smollett-lawyers-actor-unaware-alleged-attack-would-trigger-extensive-investigation/5515046/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I have a question, why isn't Jussie Smollet being charged with anything?

I do not know for that case in particular but sometime the procurer side will take in consideration what the criminal already paid for is crime, Smollet destroyed is reputation is career, I think he is being writting out in a very humiliating way, they could be satisfied with that.

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I do not know for that case in particular but sometime the procurer side will take in consideration what the criminal already paid for is crime, Smollet destroyed is reputation is career, I think he is being writting out in a very humiliating way, they could be satisfied with that.

Could you imagine if he was white?? People would want blood!

But he's black so....crickets.

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Could you imagine if he was white?? People would want blood!

But he's black so....crickets.

Not sure I would go about crickets, Smollet theater for attention was an extremely mediatized and ridiculed affair and https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/09/241933/jussie-smollett-written-off-empire-season-6

And was charged a 130K fine after a prosecutor dismissed the charge against him:

https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/2019/09/04/smolletts-attorneys-argue-city-lawsuit-should-be-tossed/

Just now, Barnack said:

Not sure I would go about crickets, Smollet theater for attention was an extremely mediatized and ridiculed affair and https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/09/241933/jussie-smollett-written-off-empire-season-6

And was charged a 130K fine after a prosecutor dismissed the charge against him:

https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/2019/09/04/smolletts-attorneys-argue-city-lawsuit-should-be-tossed/

Yeah maybe not crickets but the outrage strikes me as significantly less than it would be if....well you know.

Anyway...moving on.

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah maybe not crickets but the outrage strikes me as significantly less than it would be if....well you know.

Anyway...moving on.

If say a publicly Trump supporter somewhat high profile actor would have invented a story about being attacked by 2 black people, not sure if the outrage would have been more/less overall but it's distribution would have been different for sure.

31 minutes ago, DAR said:

The Jussie Smollett bit was easily the best part of the special.

Jussie Smollett: " I got attacked while walking ALONE at 2:00am in Chicago when it was -16 outside by two whiteguys wearing MAGA Hats who had rope and bleach while going to buy a sub at Subway who happened to know me from the show Empire and that i was gay"

Woke People on Twitter: "This is horrible racism!" 

Minorities who actually experienced Racism:  "This guy is lying bro lol "

😅

Edited by Lordmandeep