Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Foot update:  I get my cast off in two days.  Thank God because I still hate it!  My foot frequently hurts, I think because of my stitches which should also come out Thursday.

Today was shower day.  We plan it because I have to get upstairs and I have a cast cover.  I almost fell in the shower.  It is hard to stand on one foot for twenty minutes.  Anyway I steadied myself with my toes, so have been in pain since then.

Thanks for reading.  This is the only place I vent about my foot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think must do, people saying that people would go back to piracy has if they are not doing it now (the rating of Games Of Thrones really do not match the show popularity at all) gave the impression they do not.

Pay TV was a 205 billion industry, with free tv and other video it was 490 billion globally and growing.

OTT streaming is proposing to replace that, Netflix made 16 billion last year to give a proportion of what is in play, Americans were paying until recently at least over $100 a month ($107) for TV in average (https://fortune.com/2018/11/15/average-cable-tv-bill-cord-cutting/), I doubt the industry will ever consider changing it for 2 subscription service totaling $20 without a big fight (or becoming the Internet subscriber if people are ready to pay a lot for that).

The cost will probably stay a bit the same if not higher minus the saved made for infrastructure (but that client will pay on is Internet bill, still be paying), the content will be bigger and more practical in when/how/where you can watch it or there will be much less content made.

The thing is people are used to paying 100 bucks a month for cable in the past and then switched to Netflix for 10 bucks a month.

If that changes people will get more into those Andorid Boxes that offer almost any movie imaginable for 10-20 bucks a month.

Like in the Indian Community those boxes are rampant lol 

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Well, yes.  T'was inevitable, as I've said for years.

Content creators gotta eat too, you know.  Something tells me that 20-25 for everything wouldn't work out very well.  Especially since basic cable was $40 a month or so when I first got into the game.

I don't see why not, at least in the case of some.  People bought 3-4 premium cable nets back in the day (and still to this day).  And that's exactly what these streaming services are.  With D+'s and Hulu's aggressive price moves, they're even cheaper than some of the premium nets.

And the reason I think people will buy them is that for all my life I have heard that folks will pay for bundling and/or "just the packages I want" as part of the complaints against the cable package systems in the US*.

* I realize that bundling is far more prevalent in Canada.

Well the streaming revolution is basically saying "Put up or shut up".  People have said repeatedly that they'll pay for things, "but only the channels I want".  Well now, more and more, they'll get to do just that.

IMO what's going to happen, if anything, is either more and more people "cut the cord" entirely, or cut back on their cable packages.  That is going from expensive "tiers" to basic or basic plus and treat streaming services as their version of HBO and Showtime.

The other thing I see happening is folks dipping in and out of streaming services as new programs roll on and off.  And I say that because, for now at least, it is far easier to dip in and out of streaming services than it ever was for cable/satellite. 

So maybe folks won't "pay for three or four" streaming services all at once.  But I can see folks cycling in and out.

(doesn't mean that all of these streaming services will survive, but then again cable networks died all the time as well)

But see, you can't do either with these plans...I still can't pick EXACTLY what I want, and yet exactly what I want would require 3-4 different bundles.  I'm dying to get off cable tv now...but I still can't pull the trigger, b/c while I only need/want about 10 channels, none of the plans offer them for anything less than my current cable:).

I mean, I want CBS, NBC, and Fox (all 3 for football season, although I also need CBS for shows:)), ESPN, Gameshow Network, Buzzer (laugh, my kids love old game shows), Food TV...and really, I could get by...I'd take a few more sport channels and a family channel (like Nick for Spongebob), but I could get by...

There's not a single plan that bundles those 7 channels together...at least any without a dish...and I only want 7...and there's not a single plan that lets me choose channel by channel...

Now, I also want Disney+ and DCUniverse for the supers shows, but I'm willing to pay separately for those...and do...and I'll keep Netflix thanks to my phone plan...so I'll still (effectively) pay 3 plans IF I could just get a cable service that lets me pick channel by channel...

This is today's issue - we're in the "messy middle" of sorta letting you pick your cable channels without actually letting you pick what you want...and who likes to pick from sucky options...

You can get an IPTV box that has streaming channels like HBO and LOCAL channels... get the new releases through movies and TV shows and access a vast library of older stuff as well.

I am just saying there is competition to these streaming services and if the future is going to be that people have to buy services for each big studio to access their films, I think a lot of people will just pass on that. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The thing is people are used to paying 100 bucks a month for cable in the past and then switched to Netflix for 10 bucks a month.

If that changes people will get more into those Andorid Boxes that offer almost any movie imaginable for 10-20 bucks a month.

With an Internet that cost how much (does it not get back to that $100 a month figure) ?

Anyway people are still very much used to that 100 a month bill in the USA:

LRG-Pay-TV-Penetration-Rate-2010-2017-Oc

Cord cutting is big sure:

LRG-US-Household-TV-Service-Subscription

But the vast majority of the money is still on traditional  TV, that the money Disney, CBS, Universal, WB and other is trying to not loose, the switch to netflix isn't the 4th of the still giant pay TV consumer base

30 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am just saying there is competition to these streaming services and if the future is going to be that people have to buy services for each big studio to access their films, I think a lot of people will just pass on that. 

.There will be package ;) It is really unfair to compare already moneytised content playing on OTT era vs when it will be the main window price tag, would be like if everyone started to watch their movies for $1 for the hole family at home via redbox and see that windows pricing change.

Lot of people will pass on that exactly like lot of people pass on the current get HBO, FX, Amazon, Netflix, movie theater if you want to watch their stuff.

• Like 1

@CJohn The Queen continues her reign.

Helping SIC to win Tuesday despite Portugal playing (and crushing) Lithuania on RTP, Nazaré scored 14.4% / 28.1% on episode 2. That, btw, is a bigger result than Golpe de Sorte's premiere. And the soap started literally after the end of the game.

Also, SIC have confirmed Golpe de Sorte's final season premieres Sunday night.

TVI, rest in peace.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Signed up for a free trial of DAZN (sports live streaming service which is 20$ a month). Seems to be working good so far. Got it for NFL games. Has other sports like MLB, Cricket, Soccer etc. 

Not sure what I'll do for NBA and NHL yet.

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn The Queen continues her reign.

Helping SIC to win Tuesday despite Portugal playing (and crushing) Lithuania on RTP, Nazaré scored 14.4% / 28.1% on episode 2. That, btw, is a bigger result than Golpe de Sorte's premiere. And the soap started literally after the end of the game.

Also, SIC have confirmed Golpe de Sorte's final season premieres Sunday night.

TVI, rest in peace.

Silly MCK. Portugal didn't crush Lithuania. Ronaldo did :Venom:

Also yeah, no surprise. SIC is just destroying right now. RAP is dead. Na Corda Bamba is dead. Masterchef will be a blip in the radar with 11-12% share.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mean, I want CBS, NBC, and Fox (all 3 for football season, although I also need CBS for shows:)), ESPN, Gameshow Network, Buzzer (laugh, my kids love old game shows), Food TV...and really, I could get by...I'd take a few more sport channels and a family channel (like Nick for Spongebob), but I could get by...

YouTubeTV works great for me, and you're not tied into any sort of contract. You can cancel or renew on the fly. Granted, you're paying basically the equivalent of a basic cable package to get it, but it's more flexible. (I assume Hulu w/Live TV and Fubo are similar -- I've used Fubo during the World Cup but never tried Hulu).

• Like 1