Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Wokeness is god tier here 

🤣🤣🤣

You would win the woke awards hand down.

By the way I just want to say is it good behaviour as a moderator to tell other users that their content is not welcome here if they have not broken the rules ?

I dont think so...

I'm not banning him for saying what he's thinking. I'm just telling him I think he's annoying. Being a mod doesn't automatically mean I can't have opinions nor does that mean I can't dislike what somebody's saying or how they're acting.. If people don't like the idea of me calling them out or acknowledging I don't like what they're saying, they can just ignore me, go to another forum, etc.

By the way, very cute of you to think that progressivism is some sort of game for me. Please get rid of your schtick and get new material

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The thing is, it's not schtick or material. It's me commenting on political and social stuff just like a lot of other people here. Or does it not count when it's the other side?

Of course I won't name names, but I've spoken with several people over private messaging who have the same voice but feel they can't use it here. I feel like if I continue being a completely unabashed voice for conservatism maybe people will come out of their shell a bit and we can finally level the playing field here. I'm not going to stop, and nor should I. I'm not breaking any rules and despite my disagreements with others I am decent and respectful to everyone.

Oh, and I'm yearning to discuss box office again and drop all this. I miss that.

tbh most people get annoyed that you seem to stick up for wildly outdated social views and attitudes in an attempt to "stick it to the dems," not for voicing your opinion. It just makes people want to whip out the "ain't you tired, Miss Hilly?" gif if it weren't for the fact The Help is considered a #cancelled movie these days.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also watched Artemis Fowl this evening with the family after spending a day at the beach (as a way of celebrating the last day before I return to work tomorrow for the first time since March 13) and OOF! Disney was smart to send that turd to a place where it will easily be forgotten.

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

tbh most people get annoyed that you seem to stick up for wildly outdated social views and attitudes in an attempt to "stick it to the dems," not for voicing your opinion. It just makes people want to whip out the "ain't you tired, Miss Hilly?" gif if it weren't for the fact The Help is considered a #cancelled movie these days.

Outdated according to who?

Also, dont you think people get tired of the opposite as well? Every day there is something new to cancel, something new to boycott, some new victim to rally around, some new thing to be offended by. This shit goes both ways, that's what y'all don't seem to realize.

Anyway, whatever. 'Twas a great tweet and I thought I'd share it, like anyone else here does. 

Edited by JB33
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Outdated according to who?

Also, dont you think people get tired of the opposite as well? Every day there is something new to cancel, something new to boycott, some new victim to rally around, some new thing to be offended by. This shit goes both ways, that's what y'all don't seem to realize.

Anyway, whatever. 'Twas a great tweet and I thought I'd share it, like anyone else here does. 

The "cancel everyone" crowd has little bearing on the real world tbh. The issue people have with is that you seem to have no problem belittling the existence of, say, trans people, whether intentional or not. They aren't any less human than you and should be treated as such. That also applies to other minorities.

And yes, those kinds of views are moving in the direction of becoming outdated thanks to the rise of minorities in places like the entertainment industry, like previous bigoted views have become (but are unfortunately not extinct, as you can see with the fight to end systemic racism going on in this country right now). That's why we call it "progress." Think there weren't people who got all pouty once slavery became abolished because they couldn't own black people anymore in the 1860s (a view that obviously no one would dare share today)? Guess again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Wokeness is god tier here 

🤣🤣🤣

You would win the woke awards hand down.

By the way I just want to say is it good behaviour as a moderator to tell other users that their content is not welcome here if they have not broken the rules ?

I dont think so...

Let me say it on behalf of Eric then:

With all due respect, General, sir,

MerryWellinformedErin-size_restricted.gi

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The "cancel everyone" crowd has little bearing on the real world tbh. The issue people have with is that you seem to have no problem belittling the existence of, say, trans people, whether intentional or not. They aren't any less human than you and should be treated as such. That also applies to other minorities.

And yes, those kinds of views are moving in the direction of becoming outdated thanks to the rise of minorities in places like the entertainment industry, like previous bigoted views have become (but are unfortunately not extinct, as you can see with the fight to end systemic racism going on in this country right now). That's why we call it "progress." Think there weren't people who got all pouty once slavery became abolished because they couldn't own black people anymore in the 1860s (a view that obviously no one would dare share today)? Guess again.

Of course, I've never suggested they were less human or anything like that. I simply said I don't like or believe in the concept. I've also never gone out of my way to belittle (I know you did acknowledge that it may not be intentional, which I appreciate because it's not) or persecute them in any way. I respect their right to dress however they want or identify as whatever so my personal views on the subject have no bearing. If it's not good enough because my lack of belief hurts their feelings, there's not much more I can do.

A lot of you don't believe in God. I do (though I'm not religious). Should I complain that I'm being persecuted as a believer? No, you do you and I'll do me. It should be that simple but it's not. The right obviously has an ugly history of prejudice of all sorts and the left is also guilty. The intolerance is out of control. That's why so many people love President Trump when few would otherwise associate with such an ugly person. He exemplifies a willingness to fight back against the radical left culture, which is needed right now. Too many conservatives are bullied into silence (which relates to what I said about the many PM's with other forum users who discuss these things in private).

We've all got to find a middle ground here. The harmony won't come by force feeding people. You'll just get opposition, such as whatever forces conspired to put Donald Trump in one of the highest offices in the world, if not the highest.

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Of course, I've never suggested they were less human or anything like that. I simply said I don't like or believe in the concept. I've also never gone out of my way to belittle (I know you did acknowledge that it may not be intentional, which I appreciate because it's not) or persecute them in any way. I respect their right to dress however they want or identify as whatever so my personal views on the subject have no bearing. If it's not good enough because my lack of belief hurts their feelings, there's not much more I can do.

A lot of you don't believe in God. I do (though I'm not religious). Should I complain that I'm being persecuted as a believer? No, you do you and I'll do me. It should be that simple but it's not. The right obviously has an ugly history of prejudice of all sorts and the left is also guilty. The intolerance is out of control. That's why so many people love President Trump when few would otherwise associate with such an ugly person. He exemplifies a willingness to fight back against the radical left culture, which is needed right now. Too many conservatives are bullied into silence (which relates to what I said about the many PM's with other forum users who discuss these things in private).

We've all got to find a middle ground here. The harmony won't come by force feeding people. You'll just get opposition, such as whatever forces conspired to put Donald Trump in one of the highest offices in the world, if not the highest.

Or you could, you know, shut the fuck up.

31 minutes ago, MrPink said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

And you are fine to have your opinions (though broadcasting them if they might hurt others, especially those who have been mistreated throughout history, might not be the best choice). But you're arguing for tolerance towards intolerance. That just isn't the way, man. If it were Charlottesville 2017 would've been A-OK with everyone. Roseanne Barr would still have a career and her show (which was one of the highest rated scripted shows in years and was cancelled after her racist tweet led to everyone dropping out) if that were the case.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Nailed it.

The thing about all these complaints about “cancel culture” is that to many of us who are part of or invested in a marginalized community in one way or another, this isn’t a game or some lively debate where opinions exist in a vacuum. We’re not being whiny for shits and giggles. We’re not “silencing” opponents because our precious widdle feelings are hurt. We’re pushing back because we have seen firsthand that negative sentiments about these groups often lead to very real harm for those groups. Take the trans topic for instance: someone may think it’s reasonable to proclaim that they don’t believe in their validity or that a person in a position of power should face no consequences for using their platform to knowingly and purposely condemn them on the basis of their identity, but it’s that kind of sentiment that - when applied on a societal level - opens the door for something like the Trump administration moving to strip away civil rights protections in health care for the trans community. I literally spent an hour on the phone yesterday trying to calm down a trans friend who is (rightfully) terrified of what this will mean if her life is ever in the hands of a doctor who can refuse to treat her on the grounds of “deeply-held beliefs” and get away with it. She’s in a position where she can’t necessarily trust people to see her as a human rather than as an entity they despise on principle, and she can’t trust the law to defend her when this administration is instead pushing to defend people who believe they should be able to discriminate against her with impunity; you can’t possibly expect her to just say “well, I guess we’ll agree to disagree” when it’s her existence, not her opinion, that is in danger.

I saw the idea of a “level playing field” being bandied about in an earlier post in this thread, but the reality is that someone who has the privilege of being able to regard human rights as a matter of opinion rather than a matter of survival isn’t playing on the same field, nor the same ballpark, nor even the same sport as the people they’re vilifying for calling them out.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And you are fine to have your opinions (though broadcasting them if they might hurt others, especially those who have been mistreated throughout history, might not be the best choice). But you're arguing for tolerance towards intolerance. That just isn't the way, man. If it were Charlottesville 2017 would've been A-OK with everyone. Roseanne Barr would still have a career and her show (which was one of the highest rated scripted shows in years and was cancelled after her racist tweet led to everyone dropping out) if that were the case.

We could go on but we won't. All I'll say, whether it matters to you or not, is I have mad respect for you that you're willing to engage respectfully while also standing strongly by your beliefs. Thank you.

As for you @grim22, people like you aren't worth one iota of my time (which is saying something because I have a lot of it at the moment). You've got to do better than that.

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

We could go on but we won't. All I'll say, whether it matters to you or not, is I have mad respect for you that you're willing to engage respectfully while also standing strongly by your beliefs. Thank you.

As for you @grim22, people like you aren't worth one iota of my time (which is saying something because I have a lot of it at the moment). You've got to do better than that.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

9 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Nailed it.

The thing about all these complaints about “cancel culture” is that to many of us who are part of or invested in a marginalized community in one way or another, this isn’t a game or some lively debate where opinions exist in a vacuum. We’re not being whiny for shits and giggles. We’re not “silencing” opponents because our precious widdle feelings are hurt. We’re pushing back because we have seen firsthand that negative sentiments about these groups often lead to very real harm for those groups. Take the trans topic for instance: someone may think it’s reasonable to proclaim that they don’t believe in their validity or that a person in a position of power should face no consequences for using their platform to knowingly and purposely condemn them on the basis of their identity, but it’s that kind of sentiment that - when applied on a societal level - opens the door for something like the Trump administration moving to strip away civil rights protections in health care for the trans community. I literally spent an hour on the phone yesterday trying to calm down a trans friend who is (rightfully) terrified of what this will mean if her life is ever in the hands of a doctor who can refuse to treat her on the grounds of “deeply-held beliefs” and get away with it. She’s in a position where she can’t necessarily trust people to see her as a human rather than as an entity they despise on principle, and she can’t trust the law to defend her when this administration is instead pushing to defend people who believe they should be able to discriminate against her with impunity; you can’t possibly expect her to just say “well, I guess we’ll agree to disagree” when it’s her existence, not her opinion, that is in danger.

I saw the idea of a “level playing field” being bandied about in an earlier post in this thread, but the reality is that someone who has the privilege of being able to regard human rights as a matter of opinion rather than a matter of survival isn’t playing on the same field, nor the same ballpark, nor even the same sport as the people they’re vilifying for calling them out.

Let me ask you something, and I'm being serious just so you know.

If I felt for a long time I identified as something not human, would I be entitled to 100% acceptance? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I mean, we apparently share more than 50% of our DNA with a banana - it's true, look it up - so it seems that one could just as easily identify as an animal as someone of the opposite sex.

Edited by JB33

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Let me say it on behalf of Eric then:

The thing is we agree on many things but  I am from Canada so we actual put our progressiveness into practice and just dont circle jerk about it on twitter and message forums to declare how much better we are then others and tell people they are not welcome here.

2f4399f235b0d8ecde6c7385967d88f5.gif

Like I believe prisoners have the right to vote, I been supporting Gay marriage since 2005, I support public healthcare for all, updated my views on trans rights after hearing from transpeople themselves and I am a son of an immigrant myself so I know what it is to experience racism first hand.

Like I dont go after SJW and progressives because I am the complete opposite and to the right. Its more they more often go off the deep end far to the left. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Let me ask you something, and I'm being serious just so you know.

If I felt for a long time I identified as something not human, would I be entitled to 100% acceptance? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I mean, we apparently share more than 50% of our DNA with a banana - it's true, look it up - so it seems that one could just as easily identify as an animal as someone of the opposite sex.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

The thing is we agree on many things but  I am from Canada so we actual put our progressiveness into practice and just dont circle jerk about it on twitter and message forums to declare how much better we are then others and tell people they are not welcome here.

2f4399f235b0d8ecde6c7385967d88f5.gif

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Dayyum, you must have been cool in high school! Repeating the same thing to refute someone is so edgy!

Edited by JB33

Just now, JB33 said:

Dayyum, you must have been cool in high school! Repeating the same thing is so edgy to refute someone is so edgy!

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I mean, it's really basic stuff that has nothing to do with democrats or republicans lol (Trump shouldn't be considered the voice that represents that entire party cause he's just a godawful human being with zero moral compass). It's simply showing kindness towards others without looking like you're standing up for the wrong side of history (goes back to my point about how slavery was justified back in the day simply because it was "the way it is").

• Like 2