Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

cough

modern technology

cough 

Having (unsure if they were paid or not) 3 people full time doing things like it the 1950s is a gross use of money time and effort. 

Make sense they are overwhelmed but i am 100% sure they could appeal to the tech sector and got software set up with no cost in this case or could have gotten assistance from accountants in the local area or accounting firms.

I work at a bank  and seeing this in how our temple collected funds and really say charities are a clusterf*ck for this kind of stuff. 

They collect tons of money and into goes into some bureaucratic archaic black hole for weeks and months before it does any good or gets lost in admin costs.

It has sort of turned me off charity donations being an insider info on it...

I would say dont donate to a charity unless you know the charity personally. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Collider has posted a lengthy but great article about the troubled history behind Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (which just turned 19 recently) and the massive fallout after it fizzled (which included the quiet cancellation of a theatrical sequel, cool-sounding attractions at both Disneyland and Disney World, and an animated series which had produced three episodes that were later cobbled together in the form of a DTV sequel).

https://collider.com/disney-atlantis-the-lost-empire-history-explained/

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

So I'm guessing the nominees will be:

Comedy

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dead to Me

The Good Place

The Kominsky Method

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Ramy

Schitt's Creek

Silicon Valley

Drama

Better Call Saul

Big Little Lies

The Crown

The Handmaid's Tale

The Morning Show

Ozark

Pose

Succession

So I rewatched both Order of the Phoenix and the Half Blood Prince for the first time since they released in theaters. Back then, I thought 5 was mediocre, while 6 was downright boring.

I still find 5 to be mediocre, but ohhhh boy, I am now in love with 6! I especially love the camera work! You can not tell me David Yates directed both 5 and 6. Nuh uh. I don't buy it.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I guess he has realised there's no chance that this film or any other film he's thought of making is gonna be made 

Yeah, he’s pretty much retired at this point. A shame since he’s immensely talented.

47 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, he’s pretty much retired at this point. A shame since he’s immensely talented.

He's talented but it seems like he can't hustle and doesn't seem to understand the industry at all. He was even confused that they were getting famous actors to star in this film. I feel like at least Netflix would've taken a project of his (like how they picked up a Kaufman project after years of him being unable to get a movie funded) if he at least tried to build some connections.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, Cap said:

Mom and I went to see Indiana Jones/Raiders at the Drive-In this weekend. It was good. Crusade is definitely better. 

As for the last couple pages, I would just say: no one is forcing anyone to be here. Especially with the dip in industry news and the box office being closed. Maybe it is time for some people to take a break? 🍵

Gulp, that's on Varietys top 10 list of most problematic films along with Forest Gump.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

17 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

cough

modern technology

cough 

Having (unsure if they were paid or not) 3 people full time doing things like it the 1950s is a gross use of money time and effort. 

Make sense they are overwhelmed but i am 100% sure they could appeal to the tech sector and got software set up with no cost in this case or could have gotten assistance from accountants in the local area or accounting firms.

I work at a bank  and seeing this in how our temple collected funds and really say charities are a clusterf*ck for this kind of stuff. 

They collect tons of money and into goes into some bureaucratic archaic black hole for weeks and months before it does any good or gets lost in admin costs.

It has sort of turned me off charity donations being an insider info on it...

I would say dont donate to a charity unless you know the charity personally. 

This sounds an awful lot like "how hard can it be to put feature X in a game".  It's 'just' coding, right?

Tech isn't a magical incantation that can just be waved like a wand or flipped like a switch.  Lots and lots and LOTS of worker hours need to go into these things to make sure they work right, reliably, AND securely.

Complaining about "bureaucratic waste" is all well and good.  Saying "well tech companies can fix it"?  Well, I don't nearly have the faith in Big Tech that many seem to do.  Not when it comes to instantaneous solutions, at least.  Which, one recalls, is the complaint here (bail fund not processing/directing funds right now).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This sounds an awful lot like "how hard can it be to put feature X in a game".  It's 'just' coding, right?

Tech isn't a magical incantation that can just be waved like a wand or flipped like a switch.  Lots and lots and LOTS of worker hours need to go into these things to make sure they work right, reliably, AND securely.

Complaining about "bureaucratic waste" is all well and good.  Saying "well tech companies can fix it"?  Well, I don't nearly have the faith in Big Tech that many seem to do.  Not when it comes to instantaneous solutions, at least.  Which, one recalls, is the complaint here (bail fund not processing/directing funds right now).

The issue is at the pace they are going at it will take 4.5 years to process through the funds (I am sure they will go faster but will take many many months).

So i would say that investing in tech is not only worth it but necessary to deal with this unique issue. Also its not about Google making an App...working as a business analysts currently, investing marginal effort in tech personally has done wonders to improving efficiencies. Its not about automating things, its just reducing 'time per widget'

And its not about fancy tech, i now in such places a person in 2020 would still physically copy cheques one by one. 

I have dealt with financial dealings (worked at a bank)  personally can say charities and religious groups are notorious for holding onto funds for many months and not putting them to work as they are stuck in very inefficient bureaucratic processes. 

I will give you a perfect example at the local sikh temple I am apart off. A person at the end of the month spent days photocopying cheques one by one.  So we got a 200 dollar cheque scanner saving days of work and getting funds ready to go out faster. 

This is not about placing blame, it is more a warning to people when they donate to be a bit careful.

Dont just 'over donate' to just one group where funds sort of get trapped in a black hole....

Its sometimes best to give funds around to a lot similar groups in your local area that really need the cash.

Because the focus is how do we help with the most impact. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Buttersworth, and Uncle Ben's are being rebranded to something else. Honestly, the only surprise there is that they weren't retired sooner considering their racist origins.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/business/uncle-bens-rice-racist/index.html

Reading about Uncle Ben's I am not sure how the origin are racist:

About Uncle�Ben's

Our namesake, Uncle Ben, was an African-American rice grower who harvested his rice with such care that he reaped honors for the full-kernel yields and quality. In fact, his rice was of such excellent quality that it came to represent the standard by which all other rice was judged. As the story goes, the proudest boast a rice grower could make was to claim his rice to be "as good as Uncle Ben's."

Years later, Gordon L. Harwell launched a company offering to the public the same high-quality, nutritious rice he'd supplied to the armed forces in WWII through his company, Converted Rice, Inc. He chose the name "UNCLE BEN'S" to symbolize the high quality of his rice products. To this day, we preserve the standard that was set so many years ago by the Texas rice grower named Uncle Ben.