Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

there were accounts of Jeffrey Katzenberg before he left Disney telling people that Pocahontas would win Best Picture. I guess it's the first animated movie that counts as "Oscar bait". i actually think it's somewhat underrated and one of the better renaissance movies. probably 2nd best behind Beast.

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there were accounts of Jeffrey Katzenberg before he left Disney telling people that Pocahontas would win Best Picture. I guess it's the first animated movie that counts as "Oscar bait". i actually think it's somewhat underrated and one of the better renaissance movies. probably 2nd best behind Beast.

I still find it hilarious that the general consensus at Disney at the time of their productions was that Pocahontas was the prestige film and The Lion King was this other, lesser project they had going on.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I still find it hilarious that the general consensus at Disney at the time of their productions was that Pocahontas was the prestige film and The Lion King was this other, lesser project they had going on.

The music really made The Lion King.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The music really made The Lion King.

Take away the music (which is top tier Disney) and all you have left is a decent story with a couple of great emotional moments and a rushed 2nd / 3rd act.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think it might someday be removed from Disney+ tbh.

Stuff like Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp is way more racist, and it's still up there, with a disclaimer. They'll probably just put a "this shit is problematic as fuck" disclaimer, and nobody will care. Problem solved.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

pocahontas is definitely the one renaissance movie they're never touching with a live action remake so at least it's got that going for it. 

Idk, I could see them make a remake that's all about being historically and culturally accurate. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Baggins said:

Stuff like Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp is way more racist, and it's still up there, with a disclaimer. They'll probably just put a "this shit is problematic as fuck" disclaimer, and nobody will care. Problem solved.

I’m kinda surprised to see that they haven’t done that with Pocahontas yet, if only to cover their asses.

6 minutes ago, Eric Baggins said:

Still weird that HBO Max didn't follow D+ and do the whole disclaimer thing with Gone with the Wind. It'll only take you like 5 minutes to put it in the description.

That's what they're doing (like they've always done with Looney Tunes) but I think they wanted to make it a big news story or something which is why they probably pulled it first.