Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

She's not going to be the first base coach during the season, but I applaud the Giants putting her out there for a few innings tonight; might be a sign of a promotion sometime in future years.

(Alyssa Nakken is the first woman to be on a major league baseball coaching staff)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

i hate life

I'd root for him to turn into an Albatross Contract, except I don't like wishing for folks to fail.

Plus I have him in my keeper league. So, you know, perverse incentives at play and all that.

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'd root for him to turn into an Albatross Contract, except I don't like wishing for folks to fail.

Plus I have him in my keeper league. So, you know, perverse incentives at play and all that.

i'm already praying for Carl Crawford 2.0. I'm that bitter.

I also want Cole to get shell shocked tomorrow so that speaks to what kind of giant asshole I am.

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

i'm already praying for Carl Crawford 2.0. I'm that bitter.

I also want Cole to get shell shocked tomorrow so that speaks to what kind of giant asshole I am.

Now, see, it's not that I want Cole to do badly/underperform in his stint in NYC, but more I expect it, given the short porch in right field.  Also curious to see how he fares in Fenway, for that matter.

Now he does have a huge left field to play with, but I dunno.

Maybe I just have long memories of his stint in Pittsburgh and am still slightly skeptical that his performance in Houston will be repeated.

Edited by Porthos

Cole’s track record isn’t up to what I’d expect for a pitcher getting the kind of deal the Yankees gave him. (Honestly, in an age where Tommy John surgeries are so prevalent, a nine-year deal for any pitcher feels like an insane gamble.) He was brilliant in Houston and had one especially strong year in Pittsburgh, but the rest of his tenure with the Pirates basically amounts to solid but not great. Then again, I was also all kinds of skeptical about that deal the Nats inked Scherzer to five years ago for similar reasons, and I think it’s safe to say I was wrong on that one, so we’ll see.

I still just can’t believe that after months of waiting and speculation, we’re actually going to get real baseball tomorrow!