Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

I did a “Wait, that movie exists?!” double take when I saw iTunes offering it on sale for its tenth anniversary. With a decade of hindsight, it feels even weirder now that there was a hit family comedy where Russell Brand, of all people, voices the Easter Bunny’s son. It’s always felt like the stuff of bizarre fever dreams.

Of course, that also means we’re about to hit the ten-year anniversary of the sci-if flick it trounced at the box office, Source Code. I’m not at all sure how well that one holds up on a repeat viewing, but watching it with a modest opening weekend crowd trying to piece it together as it went along was tons of fun.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I did a “Wait, that movie exists?!” double take when I saw iTunes offering it on sale for its tenth anniversary. With a decade of hindsight, it feels even weirder now that there was a hit family comedy where Russell Brand, of all people, voices the Easter Bunny’s son. It’s always felt like the stuff of bizarre fever dreams.

Of course, that also means we’re about to hit the ten-year anniversary of the sci-if flick it trounced at the box office, Source Code. I’m not at all sure how well that one holds up on a repeat viewing, but watching it with a modest opening weekend crowd trying to piece it together as it went along was tons of fun.

One of the best things about Easter time is seeing the DVD for Hop suddenly appear in all the bargain bins for like $5 and then disappearing immediately after the holiday is over. I was actually at Target yesterday, and the Hop DVD was right inbetween Peter Cottontail and Peter Rabbit. Not even the James Corden one, but some random Peter Rabbit movie with the Nickelodeon logo slapped on it.

Funnily enough, Hop is one of the catalog movies playing at the theater I'm seeing Godzilla vs. Kong at this weekend, which is showing a big collection of movies to fill screens that range from big hits (Transformers, The Lorax, La La Land, Pitch Perfect, Hairspray, Trolls, Stuart Little) to older titles (Field of Dreams, Airplane, Clue, A League of Their Own, Dazed and Confused, Thelma & Louise, Spaceballs, Fast Times at Ridgemont High) to movies from the past 2-3 years (Knives Out, The Meg, Bumblebee, Ocean's 8, Game Night) to movies that made little impact upon release but have went on to develop followings (The Iron Giant, Zathura, Across the Universe) to...Nancy Drew (yes, the Emma Roberts one).

Edited by filmlover

After all of last season's weirdness, it feels surreal - in a good way! - to be looking at a full 162-game MLB season. More than anything else, I'm just glad that we'll get much more variety in team matchups this year rather than just seeing the same teams play each other over and over and over and over.

I'll be shocked if this season ends up being anything better than aggressively mediocre for either of my two teams - the Mariners and the Red Sox - but at least both of their opening day matchups fit the mold of "Well, somebody has to win" games.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have time to digest it, and even though it just hurt the Yankees, the Ghost Runner at Second in xtras is HOT FUCKING FLAMING GARBAGE!!!!!!! :rant:

Cody Bellinger just hit a home run that wasn’t (but was), passed Turner on the basepath, and somehow ended up formally getting a single and an RBI. 

Just another opening day. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I have time to digest it, and even though it just hurt the Yankees, the Ghost Runner at Second in xtras is HOT FUCKING FLAMING GARBAGE!!!!!!! :rant:

Damn straight. It was at least understandable in last year’s bizarre season, but to do it in a full regular season, especially when they’re abandoning other 2020 changes, befuddles me.

• Like 1

Got to admit, I didn't think the Lords of Baseball had the stones to do this:

(prob should put it in one of the political threads, but I'm more looking at the sportsball angle than the political/civil rights one)

EDIT:::

For folks not keeping up on all the ins-and-outs of the law just passed in GA:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Got to admit, I didn't think the Lords of Baseball had the stones to do this:

(prob should put it in one of the political threads, but I'm more looking at the sportsball angle than the political/civil rights one)

EDIT:::

For folks not keeping up on all the ins-and-outs of the law just passed in GA:

• Like 3