Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos reading a Grant article on the Athletic about a Bryce Harper what if and the comment section is screaming that calling San Francisco "San Fran" is a mortal sin and that was enough reason it was ok the Giants didn't sign Harper.

The more you know I guess.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

As a Sacramentan I take a fair amount of pride and delight in tweaking folks who actually get annoyed at "San Fran" and "Frisco".

Like, folks, get over yourselves.  The more you bitch about "San Fran" and "Frisco" the more I'm gonna use it. :lol: 

===

And, yes, while some (most?) of it is performative in nature, there is absolutely a contingent of folks who hate "The City" being called "San Fran".  And don't you dare call it "Frisco".

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a subtle sign of an inferiority complex over the amount of attention the Bay Area gets relative to Los Angeles (never mind other cities in the US).

Mostly though I think folks who get upset at that are just being conceited and should get over themselves. 👍 

Aside from calling it by it’s formal name, the only appropriate way is simply “The City”. 🧐

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Aside from calling it by it’s formal name, the only appropriate way is simply “The City”. 🧐

You know, I was sort of wondering if you had gone native enough in LA to not take the bait or, even worse, poke fun at San Franciscans insecurities over this. 

Glad to see some things are so deeply imbedded that they can't be worn down from years of living in LA. 👍

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

How about no 

Literally every nearest notable city to a person is "The City". I call NYC "The City" because that's what we mean by going to the city.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm confused, how else can I refer to SF other than "San Fransisco" without offending the people who live there? I'm gonna be living in the Bay Area for the next 5+ years of my life, so it would be really helpful lol.

For some inexplicable reason, calling San Francisco "SF" (as in ess-eff) is totally fine.  Or at least tolerated.

No, I don't understand it either.

However, if anyone ever gives you crap for say, "Frisco", just tell them that, and I quote, "If it was good enough for Herb Caen, then it's good enough for me."

That you don't know who Herb Caen is/was is irrelevant.  The person you'd be telling it to probably doesn't know/remember either. :lol: 

(NOTE:  Herb Caen was an influential columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, who might have popularized the anti-Frisco sentiment a long time ago.  He later recanted such feelings.  Repeatedly.  But it stuck because reasons)

====

Honestly, I'm pretty sure most/many anti-San Fran comments are just kneejerk meme responses at this point.  You're really not going to actually offend anyone.  Will mark yourself as an Outsider/out-of-towner though.  But aside from that, who cares?  

The sooner folks in San Fran get over themselves about this linguistic hangup, the better, as far as this person who lives in a neighboring area is concerned.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@lorddemaxus

I would also add that depending on just where you are planning on living in the Bay Area, being seen as gently tweaking the noses of folks who live in San Francisco about their silly hangups might be seen as a virtue. :lol: 

I'm gonna be living in Berkeley so it'll be mostly outsiders like me where I live I think. I'll probably be going to San Francisco a bunch of times tho (atm really only want to go for the huge IMAX cinema at the AMC Metreon and later on probably for internships and stuff). I have no idea about Bay Area culture in general tbh. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm gonna be living in Berkeley so it'll be mostly outsiders like me where I live I think. I'll probably be going to San Francisco a bunch of times tho (atm really only want to go for the huge IMAX cinema at the AMC Metreon and later on probably for internships and stuff). I have no idea about Bay Area culture in general tbh. 

Berkeley is a bit of a special case in and of itself when it comes to local culture.

On the first front, there is a very real Oakland-San Francisco rivalry, and by extension East Bay-San Francisco rivalry. So most folks in Oakland won't give two fucks about you not using a "proper" term for San Francisco, and in fact might approve.  Probably. :ph34r:

Berkeley, while it borders Oakland, is its own special little culture though, as I said. I don't want to give you any preconceptions of the area as, with most areas, it's full of wonderful people with a very diverse set of outlooks and cultural mix.

That being said, "The People's Republic of Berkeley" nickname is a justifiably famous one going on decades now.  So, there would be a chance you run into someone who might actually put on airs actually be annoyed with such talk. 

But most?  Nah.  You'll be fine I'm sure. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm confused, how else can I refer to SF other than "San Fransisco" without offending the people who live there? I'm gonna be living in the Bay Area for the next 5+ years of my life, so it would be really helpful lol.

Call it what you want, if people get offended then its down to you whether you give a shit or not. 

One thing i learnt in life is people who say they are offended are just attention seekers and not worth your response

The Giants won 12-0 tonight and are now tied for first in the NL West.

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: 

(I know the Bums are a much better team than the Giants, but for them to be tied near the end of April is nothing short of remarkable.  Nearly a miracle, IMO)

• Astonished 1

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Giants won 12-0 tonight and are now tied for first in the NL West.

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: 

(I know the Bums are a much better team than the Giants, but for them to be tied near the end of April is nothing short of remarkable.  Nearly a miracle, IMO)

Black magic and madness, best to ignore it. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Black magic and madness, best to ignore it. :ph34r:

tenor.gif?itemid=6905993

Gonna enjoy this every second it lasts.

(admittedly, I can probably measure the amount of time in seconds, which is all the more reason for me to enjoy it while I can)

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Time for a wellness check on our resident Packer fans?

It's not a total surprise - Aaron sees he could go to some playoff teams if he joined them...while he knows that 1st round QB pick from last year has to be looked at eventually...if I'm a NO fan, I'm hoping my team is calling GB tonight...(if I'm a Jets fan, I already know my team sucks and he'd never come, so I'd just sit in a corner and cry:)...

• Like 1