Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Well as i said movies that take a white saviour narative is a downside but I think they become very popular not because of that but for being engaging films really. Like some of them are the biggest hits ever and some of them are huge flops. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_savior_narrative_in_film

Like examples would be The Help, The Blind Side and Remember the Titans. 

What i mean as a minority myself a lot of 'white saviour films' are really well liked and popular with a lot of my friends and family i know that are minorities themselves. 

To me I dont mind it if it makes sense.. Like  a film like Amazing Grace that talks about the 1807 Law to abolish the slave trade in the British Empire makes sense that if it focuses on White People trying to pass the law in all white male British Parliament. 

Or in 12 years a Slave, Brad Pitt Character helps the main character to get his freedom back. 

However i do think Hollywood is being very careful about this now these days. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

tbh the reason The Help likely soared to the top of the list of movies on Netflix this past week is because it landed on there last week as a movie everyone recognizes (given how many people in it would go on to become household names) and had the misfortune of being timed with the protests breaking out, hence all the articles that have been denouncing it in the last week. With the call for hiring more black talent now taking over it's probably safe to say the Green Book type of movie is about to quickly become a dinosaur. Although I suppose they'll just be replaced with similar "pedestrian but well-meaning" movies from black filmmakers like Harriet was.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

With the call for hiring more black talent now taking over it's probably safe to say the Green Book type of movie is about to quickly become a dinosaur.

Nah. #OscarsSoWhite started in 2015; Green Book won Best Picture (and made $320M WW) four years later.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Nah. #OscarsSoWhite started in 2015; Green Book won Best Picture (and made $320M WW) four years later.

Back then it was the lack of diversity among the nominees, now we're seeing a stronger call to action on giving equal opportunities in general (as Michael B. Jordan did at a protest over the weekend). World looks a lot different in 2020 than it did circa 2015-2016.

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Remember when people said WB "doesn't listen to cancel culture"?

Somebody had to have known about those tweets prior to hiring him, but he wasn't known much by fans back then so they thought it was all good and that nobody would notice. Be careful what you put out there folks, you never know when/if something will come back to haunt you later. 

14 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Somebody had to have known about those tweets prior to hiring him, but he wasn't known much by fans back then so they thought it was all good and that nobody would notice. Be careful what you put out there folks, you never know when/if something will come back to haunt you later. 

Just seems very strange that WB can fire people based on old tweets but still employ Amber Heard on a huge DC project

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

57 minutes ago, TMP said:

Remember when people said WB "doesn't listen to cancel culture"?

That is because The Flash is still their most-watched superhero series, it even ranks pretty high later on Netflix rankings. If it was getting Watchmen-level ratings, they wouldn't care as much.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

That is because The Flash is still their most-watched superhero series, it even ranks pretty high later on Netflix rankings. If it was getting Watchmen-level ratings, they wouldn't care as much.

I mean, the star of the Flash movie - a production that will cost more than the last few seasons of this TV show combined - is a lot more "problematic" than this guy, and he's seemingly still employed. Also, Watchmen had an average of 7.1 million viewers per episode, not sure how that's something to scoff at.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I mean, the star of the Flash movie - a production that will cost more than the last few seasons of this TV show combined - is a lot more "problematic" than this guy, and he's seemingly still employed. Also, Watchmen had an average of 7.1 million viewers per episode, not sure how that's something to scoff at.

Wasn't that choke photo taken out of context or whatever?

Just found out that Lawrence of Arabia was added to my country's Netflix and it's in 4K. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow night. The opening 30 minutes I saw almost a decade ago was unlike anything I had seen at that time. I'm hoping the entire film meets my expectations.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Wasn't that choke photo taken out of context or whatever?

Even beyond that, he made a short film "empathizing" with the cop who shot Mike Brown, which is immensely more worrying than tweeting some edgy jokes from 2014

My point is that WB seems immensely hypocritical if they're fine with them & Amber Heard but draw the line at edgy twitter jokes; even worse when you consider it was ok for James Gunn but not this kid due to the difference in their position in the Hollywood ladder

45 minutes ago, TMP said:

Just seems very strange that WB can fire people based on old tweets but still employ Amber Heard on a huge DC project

The Amber Heard-Johnny Depp case is still ongoing and i don't think they will be firing people based on leaks from one party as part of the case when the judge will listen to both sides and give his verdict. Depp was way too much bad-will as well right now. Not sure why the online mob has decided Heard is the bad person in all of this. 

If you are expecting Heard of Miller to be fired, you will have to wait for them to be pronounced guilty in a court of law, which may not happen with Heard and will not happen with Miller because there was no police complaint, let alone a case filed.

• Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Amber Heard-Johnny Depp case is still ongoing and i don't think they will be firing people based on leaks from one party as part of the case when the judge will listen to both sides and give his verdict. Depp was way too much bad-will as well right now. Not sure why the online mob has decided Heard is the bad person in all of this. 

If you are expecting Heard of Miller to be fired, you will have to wait for them to be pronounced guilty in a court of law, which may not happen with Heard and will not happen with Miller because there was no police complaint, let alone a case filed.

You're right, they didn't do anything nearly as incriminating as tweeting out edgy jokes six years ago

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

My point is that WB seems immensely hypocritical if they're fine with them & Amber Heard but draw the line at edgy twitter jokes; even worse when you consider it was ok for James Gunn but not this kid due to the difference in their position in the Hollywood ladder

Do you keep a list of grievances against every actor ever employed by Warner?

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

You're right, they didn't do anything nearly as incriminating as tweeting out edgy jokes six years ago

Did WB fire James Gunn? they didn't. My guess is also that the call to fire Sawyer came from Berlanti as opposed to WB.

And yeah, Miller didn't tweet edgy jokes, and has been in general a champion for LGBTQ communities. Amber Heard donated her settlement to charities dealing with abused women. Those monsters. They deserve to be fired asap for their work.