Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also seems silly to say we don't have any young, exciting filmmakers anymore when we've had a number of them within the past decade

yeah!

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

including the youngest Best Director winner ever (Damien Chazelle, 32 at the time) not even 3.5 years ago.

oh.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also seems silly to say we don't have anymore young, exciting filmmakers anymore when we've had a number of them within the past decade, including the youngest Best Director winner ever (Damien Chazelle, 32 at the time) not even 3.5 years ago.

Yep.  But it's also something I've heard all my life.  Especially the bemoaning of "no new classics".

Heard it when New Hollywood imploded (though I was still too young to really get the arguments so this is more in retrospect).

Heard it during the 90s with the rise of CGI laden movies (and the aftershocks of said Tipper Gore). 

Heard it in the 00s and 10s as well, though the villain of the day/week/period changes.

Not exactly a new complaint, either on the "exciting fresh faces" angle or the "no new classic movies" one.

At the top of my head i can name 4 major classics in the last decade:

Godzilla (2014)

Jurassic World (2015)

Jurassic World: Fallen Script Kingdom (2018)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019).

Masterpieces 🤩

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Yep.  But it's also something I've heard all my life.  Especially the bemoaning of "no new classics".

Heard it when New Hollywood imploded (though I was still too young to really get the arguments so this is more in retrospect).

Heard it during the 90s with the rise of CGI laden movies (and the aftershocks of said Tipper Gore). 

Heard it in the 00s and 10s as well, though the villain of the day/week/period changes.

Not exactly a new complaint, either on the "exciting fresh faces" angle or the "no new classic movies" one.

Aint That The Truth Honestly GIF - AintThatTheTruth Honestly Truth GIFs

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

At the top of my head i can name 4 major classics in the last decade:

Godzilla (2014)

Jurassic World (2015)

Jurassic World: Fallen Script Kingdom (2018)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019).

Masterpieces 🤩

I could be wrong but I think you enjoy monster movies.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I could be wrong but I think you enjoy monster movies.

A childhood filled with ALL the dinosaur movies/documentarys and ALL the japanese godzilla movies does that for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

The way politics is influencing movies, dictating what type of movies are to be made, telling artists how to create their art and so forth, one can assume this next decade or so will be remembered as a dark ages of filmmaking.

No more classics or exciting, young filmmakers for a while.

• Sad 1

Honestly, I think it's fair to say that with the likes of Men, Women & Children, Interstellar, Worst Friends, One & Two, The Adderall Diaries, Love the Coopers, Miss Stevens, Call Me By Your Name, Hot Summer Nights, Lady Bird, Hostiles, Beautiful Boy, The King, and Little Women in just the span of a few years, film's gonna be a-okay

Spoiler

Don't worry, I put my money in

529ta5e.jpg

yeah sure no one influences what type of "movies" are to be made except the producers and investors who want their movies to be as profitable as possible so they're designed for maximum mainstream appeal at the expense of the director's vision.

unpopular opinion but I think blockbusters are very counter-productive to the director's creativity because they take too long to make (1-2 years at least) and cost way too much so the director can't do w/e he/she wants when the budget is 200M+ because the producers will be afraid that might alienate some of the potential audiences. I feel instead of spending 200M+ on a single project, they can use that same amount to make 3-4 mid to lower budget films (from different directors) which would usually end up with more variety and interesting results.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I like blockbusters if they are actually epic.

How else would you get IW and Endgame super epicness.

Likely the most epic films I seen in a while. 

Same, the sense of scale that blockbusters can bring makes them absolutely thrilling when done right. Which is also why I get very disappointed in blockbusters that deliberately restrict themselves. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Menor said:

Same, the sense of scale that blockbusters can bring makes them absolutely thrilling when done right. Which is also why I get very disappointed in blockbusters that deliberately restrict themselves. 

Infinity War is just crazy...

You have a alien army fighting the army of Wakanda and Captain America and Company  under a shield/ 

Then you have Raccoon and a Tree and Norse God taking a neutron star to his chest to forge a new epic weapon.

Then you have Iron and Spidey and Strange and the Guardians doing all out Naruto anime style battle with Thanos.

Like imo the epicness of Infinity War blew audiences and a lot of casual non fanbase audience. Like I know many films who grew tired of some of the MCU films but watched Infinity War and were like "holy shit that was some epic stuff" and thats why Endgame smashed all records.

Like I know people grow tired of such films but there is talent and a lot of effort to make such films too and especially to make them work. 

• Like 2

Should have worded that a bit differently. Of course the politics of the times influence the movies of that day. "Cancel culture" is one thing (Aliens for an example is deemed offensive in the UK now), but it is also about the government dictating what movies should be made by funding certain type of movies, which is happening here in Sweden. Our hippie minister of culture has explicitly stated that movies that deal with race, identity politics etc. are more likely to get funding. So if you are a young filmmaker and trying to get your first picture made, you are incentivized to make a certain type of film, when maybe you could have made the next Blood Simple instead.

Edited by The Stingray

8 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Should have worded that a bit differently. Of course the politics of the times influence the movies of that day. "Cancel culture" is one thing (Aliens for an example is deemed offensive in the UK now), but it is also about the government dictating what movies should be made by funding certain type of movies, which is happening here in Sweden. Our hippie minister of culture has explicitly stated the movies that deal with race, identity politics etc. are more likely to get funding. So if you are a young filmmaker and trying to get your first picture made, you are incentivized to make a certain type of film, when maybe you could have made the next Blood Simple instead.

First of all when did Aliens get cancelled? And second of all, a film that deals with race, identity, and politics can be the next Blood Simple.

8 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Also, y'all mentioned Chazzelle, and yeah the kid's got talent. But the 90s brought us the Coens, Fincher, Soderbergh, Tarantino and PTA. Check out the top 100 of the 10s thing that @Jake Gittes did (my ass is still beautiful, btw) and half of the movies in the top 20 are average at best.

And that's your opinion. 

• Sad 1