Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

that's exactly what the MCU is lol, the crossovers work better if you've seen the other episodes in each saga.

idk why people view that as a negative thing, (besides those who look down on TV as an inferior medium).

tbh I don't think anyone looks down on TV as being inferior anymore as more and more "movie stars" are doing TV now in some way. Just a few years ago everyone was touting Chris Pratt as the next big megastar and he's already going back to television with that Amazon show (which is apparently not a miniseries so don't expect him to be in much besides the next Jurassic and Guardians movies for the next several years).

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

that's exactly what the MCU is lol, the crossovers work better if you've seen the other episodes in each saga.

The MCU feels like a middling TV show at best. Like a network show where they throw the whole budget at things cuz the network CEO’s son is one of the EPs, but the end result is a bunch of... stuff that doesn’t really feel like it has much of a coherent voice. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The MCU feels like a middling TV show at best. Like a network show where they throw the whole budget at things cuz the network’s son is one of the EPs, but the end result is a bunch of... stuff that doesn’t really feel like it has much of a coherent voice. 

Nah, I'd say there's some sort of coherent voice. It's just that it's the blandest voice possible.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, I'd say there's some sort of coherent voice. It's just that it's the blandest voice possible.

It's a voice that says "Just do whatever".

In seriousness, I wouldn't call it coherent either. Coherent in overall safely businesslike attitude to things, maybe. But that same attitude means that in terms of e.g. worldbuilding, politics, etc. the movies will often leave questions unanswered and/or brush any previous developments under the rug when it's convenient, knowing perfectly well the audience won't give a shit as long as enough snarky quips get fired off in front of CG backgrounds. 

• Like 2

Guys i have a question: How long does it normally take for an american movie that is available on VoD to stream abroad in places like Europe? There are some films id want to watch but there are only available on VoD in North America and i refuse to see movies illegally.

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The MCU feels like a middling TV show at best. Like a network show where they throw the whole budget at things cuz the network CEO’s son is one of the EPs, but the end result is a bunch of... stuff that doesn’t really feel like it has much of a coherent voice. 

TO be honest, both the DC and MCU comic book universes are not much better. Lots of contradicitions. When you have that many writers that is going to happen.

Just now, dudalb said:

TO be honest, both the DC and MCU comic book universes are not much better. Lots of contradicitions. When you have that many writers that is going to happen.

I’m not a fan of most of the DCEU either. They do feel like they have a bit more individual style, though.

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Guys i have a question: How long does it normally take for an american movie that is available on VoD to stream abroad in places like Europe? There are some films id want to watch but there are only available on VoD in North America and i refuse to see movies illegally.

I think it’s pretty variable. My guess would be a month or two?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m not a fan of most of the DCEU either. They do feel like they have a bit more individual style, though.

I meant the actual comic book universes,not the spinoffs. They no more have a coherent whole then   the cinematic versions.

I love a lot of comic book chatecters, but have no illusions about how the universes being coherent   and consistent. When you have a many people writing over a long period of time consistency is pretty much impossible.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I meant the actual comic book universes,not the spinoffs. They no more have a coherent whole then   the cinematic versions.

I love a lot of comic book chatecters, but have no illusions about how the universes being coherent   and consistent. When you have a many people writing over a long period of time consistency is pretty much impossible.

Speaking of comic books, you said there are reports of New Mutants opening in limited release only to go to PVOD a while later. Where are those reports? Where’s your sources?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don’t follow the comic books and couldn’t begin to comment coherently on either universe. :lol: I specifically meant the movie universes, if that wasn’t clear. 

18 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I think it’s pretty variable. My guess would be a month or two?

Ok so i guess theres no exact schedule for these things? Waiting is not my biggest strenght so i hope it doesnt take too long :lol:

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The issue is though the MCU connected so strongly with audiences across the globe and becoming the defining franchise of the 2010s. 

Like you may not feel there is a coherent voice but anyone who watched Iron Man 1 in 2008 to Endgame saw the character go on a crazy arc which in the middle seemed confused and odd but it all came full circle and as a result his death really hit hard to people. 

So yeah you could say the MCU sort of got lost sometimes trying to tell a coherent voice (would say Ultron phase when the MCU was really confused). 

However unlike so many finales that failed so badly this decade, star wars, game of thrones and many more...

IW and Endgame told a pretty coherent story that really resonated and solidified the MCU with an epic conclusion putting everything together.

So you guys can keep calling the MCU films tv shows, but that is what people want in film and TV now. 

• Like 2

The MCU has done a much better job at staving off franchise fatigue more than most long in the tooth action franchises by providing a universe that has gotten so big to the point that there will always be new characters who will eventually cross paths. None of these movies can really stand on their own anymore but at least the possibilities are still intriguing. And of course it's always fun with each movie to see which established actors hop on board to cement their place in this universe.

• Like 2