Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 hours ago, Chicago said:

Gunn is right though. People lie about their height due to insecurity reasons and there's not much room for insecurity in hollywood. No point in lying about your height, this ain't Tinder

This is why James Gunn was trending? Anyway, I agree Hollywood should not be averse to casting taller women with shorter men and actually portraying that, instead of relying on camera trickery and lifts to pretend he's not way shorter. Until that happens, actors will keep lying about their heights.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

YEAH!  I have Peacock for the next 3 months (thanks Safeway Monopoly win) - figured I'd get to watch Olympics stuff and French Open stuff, but this is an extra win for me:).

PS - I can't see any reason to keep Peacock Premium except sports for after this...so I'm gonna enjoy my Olympics coverage and probably drop til I come up with a reason!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

YEAH!  I have Peacock for the next 3 months (thanks Safeway Monopoly win) - figured I'd get to watch Olympics stuff and French Open stuff, but this is an extra win for me:).

PS - I can't see any reason to keep Peacock Premium except sports for after this...so I'm gonna enjoy my Olympics coverage and probably drop til I come up with a reason!

Thankfully it'll be in the free tier, but I honestly don't know if I want to go through the trouble to sign up to Peacock, even for a free tier, just to watch these games.

I know it'll be streamed on mlb.tv (which I have, thanks to the Extra Innings package), but I suspect it'll be subject to blackout rules given that the pressers only comment that folks "out of market" can watch the peacock stream on mlb.tv.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WTF. Is this true?

After reading a couple of articles from the SF Chronicle, it sounds like SF indeed has a shoplifting problem but I’m not sure why it would be mainly Prop 47’s fault, since that’s a statewide law and other major cities aren’t suffering the same big increase. It sounds like they should increase homeless services/programs and anti-organized crime units. 

12 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

After reading a couple of articles from the SF Chronicle, it sounds like SF indeed has a shoplifting problem but I’m not sure why it would be mainly Prop 47’s fault, since that’s a statewide law and other major cities aren’t suffering the same big increase. It sounds like they should increase homeless services/programs and anti-organized crime units. 

Is no criminal proceeding thing under $900 theft true? If so, can't see people mis using that. Anyhow what an idiotic law.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

51 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WTF. Is this true?

Prop 47 just classified most thief crimes under 950 as misdemeanors meaning minor sentences for 1st time offenders.  It is similar in most states.  Here in Colorado  it goes up to 2000. (although over $750 can mean up to 18 months in jail)

I think what happened in SF is the DA publicly said they were not going to waste police resources on petty thief because it cost way more to arrest/jail/try petty thief criminals then it is to just ignore them.  While true this seems to have lead to groups organizing and taking advantage of the situation.

If the issues continue I'm sure they will have to crack down a little more.

As far as Walgreens saying Prop 47 lead to them having to close 17 stores... never believe large corporations when they say stuff like this.  My understanding is the saturated the SF city center with over 50 stores and when the pandemic hit and everyone started working from home they had to close and consolidate a lot of their stores.  I'm sure that is happening everywhere.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Is no criminal proceeding thing under $900 theft true? If so, can't see people mis using that. Anyhow what an idiotic law.

It doesn’t entirely decriminalize petty theft, it makes non-violent offenses misdemeanors instead of felonies. 

It was passed in 2014 — which is another reason why it seems a bit dubious to get up in arms about it now. It also has been very helpful in reducing prison overpopulation and it saves the state about 150m per year (according to Wikipedia). Whatever issues SF is dealing with seems specific to SF, not this. 

• Like 1

The Arizona Diamondbacks, entering tonight's game against the San Francisco Giants, had lost eleven games in a row and TWENTY road games in a row.

They jumped out to an early 7-0 lead in the top of the second.  It looked like the streak would finally be broken.

*flash forward to the bottom of the 8th inning, two outs, two strikes to the batter*

Baseball can be a cruel, heartless, sport.

Dbacks went down quietly in the top of the ninth, and now have lost twenty one road games in a row.  The All-Time MLB record is 22 games in a row, set by the 1943 (then) Philadelphia Athletics and the 1963 New York Mets.

Just a soul crushing way to lose a game, especially given the context.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Twitter was hilarious on Monday, between all the speculation on which superheroes would be into that, plus DJ Khaled started trending and people realized what "Watermelon Sugar" was about.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Arizona Diamondbacks, entering tonight's game against the San Francisco Giants, had lost eleven games in a row and TWENTY road games in a row.

They jumped out to an early 7-0 lead in the top of the second.  It looked like the streak would finally be broken.

*flash forward to the bottom of the 8th inning, two outs, two strikes to the batter*

Baseball can be a cruel, heartless, sport.

Dbacks went down quietly in the top of the ninth, and now have lost twenty one road games in a row.  The All-Time MLB record is 22 games in a row, set by the 1943 (then) Philadelphia Athletics and the 1963 New York Mets.

Just a soul crushing way to lose a game, especially given the context.

Our Astros though, game tying homer on the final strike and then a walk off grand slam :jeb!:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Our Astros though, game tying homer on the final strike and then a walk off grand slam :jeb!:

It's incredibly unlikely, if only coz the Giants have to get through the juggernaut of the Dodgers and Padres, but there is now a non-zero chance of an Astros/Giants World Series.

That would be... interesting from a personal standpoint. :ph34r:

• ...wtf 1

Happened yesterday, but....

Passage in the House is virtually assured, as is a signature by President Biden (when he returns from overseas).

And while it is of utterly minimal importance in the grand scheme of things, for us folks here at BOT, this does mean a bonafide holiday weekend for movies, which should boost them that weekend.  Especially as more private companies get on the bandwagon and give workers the day off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Happened yesterday, but....

Passage in the House is virtually assured, as is a signature by President Biden (when he returns from overseas).

And while it is of utterly minimal importance in the grand scheme of things, for us folks here at BOT, this does mean a bonafide holiday weekend for movies, which should boost them that weekend.  Especially as more private companies get on the bandwagon and give workers the day off.

Thanks to Damon Lindelof.