Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

48 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It feels like the only ones in recent years are John Wick and Knives Out, am I missing others? (I suppose there are smaller scale genre ones like The Purge).

There are smaller budget ones where the stakes aren't quite as high but I can't recall many massive blockbuster franchises that have spawned from nothing in the past decade. Pirates of the Caribbean seems like one of the last ones

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago said:

There are smaller budget ones where the stakes aren't quite as high but I can't recall many massive blockbuster franchises that have spawned from nothing in the past decade. Pirates of the Caribbean seems like one of the last ones

I mean technically animated stuff like Zootopia or Hotel Transylvania fits in "original blockbuster franchise", though I'm aware that's not what people are fully talking about here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I mean technically animated stuff like Zootopia or Hotel Transylvania fits in "original blockbuster franchise", though I'm aware that's not what people are fully talking about here.

Yeah we can't bring animation into this because it completely debunks my argument 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Pirates was not fully from nothing, it was based on the Disney attraction (the last one Walt Disney personally worked on).

Avatar sequel will tell us if it happened.

• Like 1

Honestly audiences today are way more complicit in terms of watching the same stuff over and over that I doubt that many long-running franchises will fall apart over the next few years. You look at that Disney Investor Day and people were drooling over a Buzz Lightyear spin-off and 30 Star Wars shows. People today only care about nostalgic IP and it'll be a long while before we get to anything like the New Hollywood era or whatever.

I know people want to throw the blame at studios for not diversifying their platter. And like yeah that's a problem, but also whenever they do try this, with a big ad campaign and all, audiences today just don't flock towards it and I think it's fair to call out people on this. If Yesterday or Ford v Ferrari came out in like 2008, they would have probably hit like 145M.

COVID probably helped expand the lifespans of a lot of franchises too. People are nostalgic for the good ol' days of 2017 when they could go outside and watch the latest leftovers and will cling further to stuff that's safe and familiar.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Honestly audiences today are way more complicit in terms of watching the same stuff over and over that I doubt that many long-running franchises will fall apart over the next few years. You look at that Disney Investor Day and people were drooling over a Buzz Lightyear spin-off and 30 Star Wars shows. People today only care about nostalgic IP and it'll be a long while before we get to anything like the New Hollywood era or whatever.

I know people want to throw the blame at studios for not diversifying their platter. And like yeah that's a problem, but also whenever they do try this, with a big ad campaign and all, audiences today just don't flock towards it and I think it's fair to call out people on this. If Yesterday or Ford v Ferrari came out in like 2008, they would have probably hit like 145M.

COVID probably helped expand the lifespans of a lot of franchises too. People are nostalgic for the good ol' days of 2017 when they could go outside and watch the latest leftovers and will cling further to stuff that's safe and familiar.

Disney investor day was so weird as a non Star Wars fan. It was like "good for the fans, but what are you offering to people who don't care about the franchises"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

Yeah we can't bring animation into this because it completely debunks my argument 

Speaking of, but I posted in its own movie thread, but can I say that Ron's Gone Wrong has a genius trailer, and I really want a non-franchise animation with an original, but so approachable and well known concept, to do well this year:)...

And it's all in on Kids Summer Movie program advertising at Regal - and has gotten great kid reactions twice (I have 2 more summer movies to go to, so I may see this trailer and its reaction 4 times...but that's okay, b/c I could watch it 100 times, b/c that kid was me and Cabbage Patch kid knock off!)...

On 6/25/2021 at 1:46 PM, Porthos said:

Yeessss, I thot you might be in a better mood lately regarding the 'stros. :lol:   Going on an 11 game win streak and outscoring your opponents by a bazillion runs in the meantime probably increases your enjoyment of the games.  Just a smidge, that is. ;)

pain

• Like 1